2016 Offaly Club Draws

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

2016 Offaly Club Draws

Post by Buttons »

Offaly SHC Group 1 - Coolderry, Birr, Seir Kieran, Shamrocks, Tullamore, Kinnitty
Offaly SHC Group 2 - St Rynagh's, Kilcormac/Killoughey, Shinrone, Ballinamere, Belmont, Lusmagh

Offaly IHC Group 1 - Clodiagh Gaels, K/K, Skenagh/Killavilla, Birr, Coolderry, Seir Kieran
Offaly IHC Group 2 - Brosna Gaels, Drumcullen, St Rynagh's, Carrig and Riverstown, Clara

Offaly U21H R1 - Na Fianna V Belmont (1); Shamrocks V Clara or Ballinamere (2); Coolderry V Tullamore (3), Drum/Seir Kieran V St Rynagh's(4)
Offaly U21H QFs - Cuchulainn Gaels V 2; 1 V 3; 4 V St Brendan's. Shinrone V Kilcormac/Killoughey

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: 2016 Offaly Club Draws

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Thanks for posting that, Buttons.

Where do Crinkill fit into the IHC draw? They were quarter-finalists in each of the last two years. Have they regarded to Junior?

Some cracking matchups in the U21 hurling. Shinrone v Kilcormac for a start, and Rynaghs v Drumcullen/Clareen.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Thanks for posting that, Buttons.

Where do Crinkill fit into the IHC draw? They were quarter-finalists in each of the last two years. Have they regarded to Junior?

Some cracking matchups in the U21 hurling. Shinrone v Kilcormac for a start, and Rynaghs v Drumcullen/Clareen.
Yes thanks for that Buttons. I found out the senior myself last night.

Does anyone know the Junior A and Junior B hurling draws? Also Is there going to be any Junior C hurling Championship this year?
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Don't know about Junior C but I heard the rest of the hurling draws take place next month with the football draws to take place in April.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Buttons wrote:Offaly SHC Group 1 - Coolderry, Birr, Seir Kieran, Shamrocks, Tullamore, Kinnitty
Offaly SHC Group 2 - St Rynagh's, Kilcormac/Killoughey, Shinrone, Ballinamere, Belmont, Lusmagh

Offaly IHC Group 1 - Clodiagh Gaels, K/K, Skenagh/Killavilla, Birr, Coolderry, Seir Kieran
Offaly IHC Group 2 - Brosna Gaels, Drumcullen, St Rynagh's, Carrig and Riverstown, Clara

Offaly U21H R1 - Na Fianna V Belmont (1); Shamrocks V Clara or Ballinamere (2); Coolderry V Tullamore (3), Drum/Seir Kieran V St Rynagh's(4)
Offaly U21H QFs - Cuchulainn Gaels V 2; 1 V 3; 4 V St Brendan's. Shinrone V Kilcormac/Killoughey

Looking at the senior draw i expect coolderry seir kieran birr to be top 3 in that group and between tullamore and kinnity for 4th
. In group 2 i expect kk st rynagh s shinrone to be top 3 and a real battle between lusmagh belmont and ballinamere

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Who are we tipping for each of the championships drawn last night?

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Jesus Sam are you Michael Owen in disguise :D

All joking aside though the championship format is in bad need of a shake up, can't believe the clubs agreed to another of this current format.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Any idea why the draws are being dragged out across 3 months? Surely they should draw all the adult (both hurling and football) on the same night.
They had planned to draw the JHC last night but it never went ahead. All very half arsed.
I note the main Offaly GAA website hasn't has been updated since November last year when it posted some dancing results. No O'Bryne or Walsh Cup results nor indeed any reference at all to the national football league so far. I know the PRO etc are busy but a website so far out of date gives a very bad impression. Pull the website down altogether if its not going to be updated.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Yes, the Junior 'A' hurling draw doesn't appear to have gone ahead as planned. I'd say the Junior 'B' hurling draw is held until they see how many teams are entering that competition. I very much doubt there'll be a Junior 'C' hurling competition.

As for the football draw, the football championships won't be starting until the other side of summer anyway. And I recall the time the new championship system was adapted that the draws would be deferred for as long as possible as there was an inclination for clubs who were drawn together in a championship group to take it easy when playing each other in the league.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

sam88885a wrote:
Looking at the senior draw i expect coolderry seir kieran birr to be top 3 in that group and between tullamore and kinnity for 4th
. In group 2 i expect kk st rynagh s shinrone to be top 3 and a real battle between lusmagh belmont and ballinamere
Your really giving Shamrocks a lot of hope in that statement. Only team to not be mentioned :D :D

This is what I find wrong with Offaly hurling. You can predict the quarter finals nearly straight away. The groups are nearly redundant with only a handful or exciting games.

Change is not only needed at a national level but also at club level. :?: :?:

Would love to see a structure where the league contained all teams at that level. they would play each other once and teams would rank 1 to 12 by the end( dont know how ya would manage county players but they should be available for a percentage of league games). 11 games in total before championship. knockout championship starts when offaly exit senior championship. top 4 to QF's and other 8 play for last 4 spots (4 plays 12, 5 plays 11, etc). We need change!

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

kaiserchief wrote:
sam88885a wrote:
Your really giving Shamrocks a lot of hope in that statement. Only team to not be mentioned :D :D

This is what I find wrong with Offaly hurling. You can predict the quarter finals nearly straight away. The groups are nearly redundant with only a handful or exciting games.

Change is not only needed at a national level but also at club level. :?: :?:

Would love to see a structure where the league contained all teams at that level. they would play each other once and teams would rank 1 to 12 by the end( dont know how ya would manage county players but they should be available for a percentage of league games). 11 games in total before championship. knockout championship starts when offaly exit senior championship. top 4 to QF's and other 8 play for last 4 spots (4 plays 12, 5 plays 11, etc). We need change!
I honestly think Shamrocks drew the short straw ,all the other 5 teams in that group seem stronger than them .
There are 6 strong team that everyone expects to be in the quarter finals ,kk Coolderry Seir Keiran Birr St Rynagh Shinrone .it looks predictable with they group winners almost certain to make the semi finals .

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Lads we had a new system set up which the club's voted against, then we wonder why we are falling further down the ladder.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Sam8885a from seeing that group I wouldn't give Shamrocks much hope either to be honest. sad thing is they would find it hard to compete @ intermediate level.

greenairfield - i know there was a proposal and its was rejected. was very disappointed to see this.

correct me but i think the proposal was:

2 strong groups of 4 ( comprised of the qf's participants from last year)
1 weaker group of 4 ( 3 from relegation and lusmagh who got promoted)

all would play each other.
Quarter Final would be 3 coming from the strong group and 2 from weaker group. the 2 from weaker group would play the group winners of the strong groups. 2nd would play 3rd from the opposite group. (the 2 from the weaker group would be in the stronger groups draw the next year and the team in 4th in the strong group would be finished for the the year and also be in the weaker group draw the following year)
then the 2 teams remaining in the weaker group would play relegation with one going down depending on who won the intermediate.

I taught this was an excellent proposal. It brings opportunity for progression for so called weaker teams, better games, more exciting championship and an overall improvement to Offaly hurling. the reason i think it was rejected was by the clubs who feared coming 4th, would then not participate in a quarter final and the so called embarrassment to be termed/classed in the weaker group and even to face a possibility of relegation the following year. This could happen a lot of teams like Shinrone Clareen, Belmont, Tullamore and even the home of hurling Birr (now wouldnt that be a disaster) :D :D very easily. Not saying it would be great to see Birr relegated and be good for Offaly hurling. Look at the soccer this year, everyone saying it so exciting, why, Leicester is at the top and Chelsea is the other end. Everyone loves the underdog winning (especially me) and Offaly was always one of those counties. But in our championship structure the underdog doesn't get a chance to succeed.

ITS ALL FEAR OF LOOSING BECAUSE OF CHANGE... and is one of the reasons Offaly hurling have fallen so far behind. we are afraid of the change and expect the miracle overnight. If I was county chairman I wouldn't give a vote to the clubs and would enforce a change. LETS WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!!

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

What is the storey with Crinkill? Are they inter or junior this year?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Considering Birrs chairman was on the committee who set up the proposed new championship I don't think he feared for Birr.

I belive crinkle are junior as they have lost alot of players to retirement etc etc and are really struggling for numbers.