Origins of Offaly colours

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
PITJ
Junior C

Origins of Offaly colours

Post by PITJ »

Hi, I run the website http://www.prideinthejersey.com, which is a history of GAA jerseys. On Sunday, I will be appearing on Neil Delamere's programme on TodayFM, taking about the origins of counties' colours and I was looking to get to the bottom of how Offaly ended up with green, white and gold.

It's often reported that the county won a special competition to earn the right to wear those colours but I've never been able to find what year it was or any details. When searching tonight, I came across the article below, from the Sunday Independent in 1971, and I was wondering if anyone on here might be able to confirm if it was true?

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Origins of Offaly colours

Post by SearingDrive »

Hi PITJ
Interesting idea about the origins of county jerseys. I heard a rumour that Clara were the first club affiliated post the founding of the GAA in 1884. Because of this Offaly, or King's County as the county was called then were allowed wear the national colours. I am not sure that is correct, it may be a good story!. I can't open the full article from the Sunday Indo, for some reason. 1971, a famous year for Offaly, winning first All Ireland football title, v Galway, on a miserable wet day, in Croke Park.
A small Offaly club, Killavilla wore the green, white, and orange, they are now amalgamated with Ballyskenach, a neighbouring club in Offaly's Deep South!
I expect Plain of the Herbs, a contributor to this website, will have all details re Offaly's colours.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I dont actually know the history but the story that Tullamore wore them first is what I always heard.

The story was that Tullamore wore them as Offaly when they were champions ( County Champions representedthe countyat the start of the GAA but when did this change ??) and Offaly adopted them when county teams were selected.

Does the History of Tullamore Club cast any light ???

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

All I can find it this . . .

The Tullamore history (the one for their 1985 tour of America) notes for 1918 "New jersey of green, white and gold adopted on proposal of Ned Holland. New colours worn for delayed 1917 championship games versus Clara and Ferbane (in final). Tullamore win 9th senior football title".

I also note this nugget, which is on page 10 of The blues - a 125 year photographic history of Tullamore GAA Club 1888 - 2013 which reads "There is one further point about the GAA in Tullamore that is worth noting from this (1914 - 1938) era. In the early 1920s, Tullamore GAA Club had stopped wearing the green-white-and-gold jerseys and had, instead, given the right to wear them to the Offaly county team. At that point Tullamore teams took to the field wearing plain green jerseys. Now, at the end of the 1930s, further change came calling. In 1938 - for reasons that are now lost to history, Tullamore GAA club adopted a Royal Blue jersey with white colars and white cuffs. The Greens were now The Blues - and this was how they were to stay."
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

there's a record on the Clara club website of them wearing Green White and Gold back in 1893 I think it was. There's no mention of why they wore it, but there you go.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Anyone know when the new 2016 jersey is going into active use? It wasn't in Newbridge yesterday; the Board are hardly holding back on it, are they.

I like it, from the traditional horizontal bands and the Carrolls' logo looks a nice match-in now. Is still the approved version or is it still on the drawing board?

http://www.midlands103.com/news-and-spo ... aa-jersey/
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Yep, Id say that's the jersey alright. I saw it on sale in Tullamore over the weekend.

Be wary, they are very big fitting. Unless you go for the player fit option on the O'Neills website.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

frankthetank wrote:Yep, Id say that's the jersey alright. I saw it on sale in Tullamore over the weekend.

Be wary, they are very big fitting. Unless you go for the player fit option on the O'Neills website.
Surely 'frankthetank' would prefer a bigger fitting jersey?