2016 National League Div 3

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
NewEra
County player

2016 National League Div 3

Post by NewEra »

Very quiet around here in general regarding football lately. Offaly U21 championship starting this weekend, Offaly representation on Sigerson teams at the moment, U21 county side in the Hastings Cup final this weekend and the seniors kicking off Div 3 against a side that has become quite a rival over the last 3 years.

Sunday will be the 6th time in the last 3 years we have met Longford in competitive action.Hopefully we can get the campaign off to a good start.

Interesting Offaly panel. Pleasing to see that there seems to have been a lot more interest from lads accepting invites from the county setup. Hopefully a few new faces make a name for themselves. Best of luck and well done to Alan Mulhall as the 2016 captain.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: 2016 National League Div 3

Post by greenairfield »

Could someone post the football panel please?

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

The panel is: Alan Mulhall, Ken Garry, Brian Darby, Eoin Rigney, Sean Pender, David Brady, James Lawlor, Niall Darby, Johnny Moloney, Joe O’Connor, Sean Moriarty, Colm Byrne, Adam Mahon, Ruairi Allen, Graham Guilfoyle, Niall Smith, Conor McNamee, Eoin Carroll, Jason Gethings, Leon Fox, Michael Brazil, Anton Sullivan, Shane Nally, Willie Mulhall, Peter Cunningham, Nigel Bracken, Cian Donoghue, Jamie Evans, Nigel Dunne, Bernard Allen, Joe Maher, Niall McNamee, Ruairi McNamee and Shane Dooley.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Pat Flanagan firmly focused on Offaly’s promotion drive

Faithful County looking to escape from a fiercely competitive Division Three

“I like to set out my stall at the start of every campaign and Offaly’s ambition is promotion, absolutely,” says Pat Flanagan – before promptly adding that it’s not going to be easy.

Indeed it won’t: it’s arguably the most competitive Division Three of the Allianz Football League in recent years, with Kildare, Westmeath, Longford, Tipperary, Sligo, Limerick and Clare also vying for the two promotional spots. Any two of them could secure promotion.

“It’s certainly going to be a very, very tough division, especially with so many local derbies as well,” adds Flanagan, who last year took charge of his native Offaly and guided them to promotion from Division Four (with Longford).

Now he intends on doing the same again – seeing no reason why Offaly can’t maintain their rise through the ranks: “Of course we’re being realistic about it too. But I said going into last year after I got the job that my aim was to get Offaly back up to Division Two after two years. And if we maintain the focus t we showed last year then that is possible.
Highest level
“And any team I’m involved with, I aspire to the highest level possible. People said it would be a fairytale to take Westmeath from Division Three to Division One in three seasons, and we did that.

“I’ve always said Offaly have serious potential, have real quality within the team, and I think all the vital organs are there for further development over the next few years and I’d be hopeful we can maintain the stability . . .”

That campaign starts at home on Sunday when Longford visit Tullamore, having already made the final of the O’Byrne Cup (beating Dublin on route). That’s followed on Sunday week with the meeting of Kildare, who just two years ago were plying their trade in Division One.

“No one would have expected Kildare to be in this division, after coming down from Division One, two years ago. To plummet two divisions like that. So they will be very keen to get back up. They would be the favourites, in my opinion.

“Tipp have also made fabulous progress in recent years. So there are a lot of teams looking to get across that line. We know we have to be at our best in every game, not just to press for promotion, but to make sure we maintain our status, at the very least.”

Offaly also have four of their seven games are on the road: “Yeah, we got the short straw from that point of view. That makes it more difficult again. We’ll be keen to pick up two points on Sunday, because then it’s Kildare the following Sunday. That’s a tough start.”

Two notable additions to his panel this year are Shane Dooley and Joey O’Connor, who intend to play both hurling and football this season.

“ I suppose Shane and Joey both have aspirations for playing for both teams. I’ll certainly give them every opportunity, but it will be very difficult, especially when it comes to those weekends when both Offaly footballers and hurlers are out.

“And I would be a little concerned about how it might affect them later on in the year. But again I said I’d give them the chance, and hopefully it will work out for them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic- ... -1.2514237

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

In my opinion Offaly will do well to stay in Division 3 this season. We face Longford on Sunday, a team we found hard to beat recently, in a must win game, then away to Kildare the following Sunday. If Offaly lose to Longford, it could be a tough league campaign. We are away to promotion favourites Westmeath and Kildare.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

SearingDrive wrote:In my opinion Offaly will do well to stay in Division 3 this season. We face Longford on Sunday, a team we found hard to beat recently, in a must win game, then away to Kildare the following Sunday. If Offaly lose to Longford, it could be a tough league campaign. We are away to promotion favourites Westmeath and Kildare.
You could take a negatively pragmatic view that it's better to have home games against relegation rivals and play away to teams who you expect to finish behind.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

The nature of the home/away split also has to be considered as well. We may have four away games, but there can't be too many Offaly footballers who would consider Newbridge or Mullingar to be an unfamiliar venue, or a particularly arduous trip. Similarly, Thurles is not a tough place to go in the sense that Tipperary tend to be no better or worse at Semple Stadium than they might be at O'Connor Park. Now if that game gets moved to Clonmel or Ardfinnan, that's another matter.

Certainly when it comes to playing Westmeath, home advantage would barely be worth a point to either side, such would be the familiarity that each side would have with the other's home ground. That would be a world apart from playing someone like Wexford, where Offaly could be 1/2 to win at home or 2/1 at Wexford Park.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Lone Shark wrote:Certainly when it comes to playing Westmeath, home advantage would barely be worth a point to either side, such would be the familiarity that each side would have with the other's home ground.
5 years ago that would have been the case, but a lot of the Offaly footballers shop in Aldi and Lidl nowadays. Dunnes Stores wouldn't be as familiar to them.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:Certainly when it comes to playing Westmeath, home advantage would barely be worth a point to either side, such would be the familiarity that each side would have with the other's home ground.
5 years ago that would have been the case, but a lot of the Offaly footballers shop in Aldi and Lidl nowadays. Dunnes Stores wouldn't be as familiar to them.
On a purely football matter, I think Offaly are not ready for promotion this season, if they retain Div. 3 status it will be a good result. According to today's Irish Independent Offaly and Limerick are favourites for relegation, that would be a big setback for Pat Flanagan and his players.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

Good luck to Pat Flanagan and the team today.

Consolidation is key for the next couple of years I think.

We need league stability and avoid yo-yoing between divisions 3 and 4 and of course we need to target a Leinster Championship win.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Full time Offaly 0-12, Longford 0-10.

Outscored Longford 0-5 to nil in second half. Conditions were bad it seemed from listening to radio coverage.

Important to win home games especially when we only have 3 with 4 away.

atomic
Junior A

Post by atomic »

Really need a free taker, hope Sean Doyle is the answer because we have no consistent freev taker some of the effort s today were brutal

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Delighted with the win.

Some defensive show to hold LD scoreless in the second half after Oy scored 7 against the wind in the first half.

Keeper was very sound with 2 important saves but needs to improve the kick-outs.
Full back line massive and Sean P running the length to win the free for the insurance point at the end showed great bottle.

Losing Johnny was a big blow but the lads worked hard. Only fault with half backs was Joey got forward 3 or 4 times and stopped when he had the shot on & lost the ball once or twice. Better to have kicked when he got inside 30 even if only over Mick Macs head.

Impressed with the work-rate of Graham & Jason who is where Graham was 2 years back. Will improve with plenty games.

Half forward did not do much as attacking force but again worked but please Mick B just dont turn back and sling silly handpasses, he is big & strong enough to drive out..... Nigel D had an off day with his shots but BA potted plenty when Niall also kicked some great ones but the 3 wides on the trot mid way in the second half could have cost and he should take the penos !!!! No blame on Anton, he took responsibility & sent keeper the wrong way but was a foot or less wide.

In the end we were fouling a bit much but mostly out off range !!!! Quinn had no bussiness running in to flatten a lad getting a black card but the punching Joey in the guts was just plain stupid and deserved his red card.

Looking forward to next Sunday already..........especially being resident in enemy country !!!!!

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Our chances of staying up will rest I think on points we can pick up at home to Sligo and Clare and away to Limerick. 3 more points to add to the 2 from today might be enough.

One point from the trips to Newbridge, Mullingar or Thurles would be a massive bonus but unlikely.