Walsh Cup 2016

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
hurlus
Junior C

Re: Walsh Cup 2016

Post by hurlus »

Any views / feedback from the actual game last Sunday
We are all sick of hearing about the Birr vs Tullamore
Debate.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

How is this Keiap chap allowed on here?
In particular his attacks on LS, in all fairness its pretty bloody childish.

Good to win and get another game, the weather has been shite, the pitch was barely playable, the crowd turned up in decent numbers, including the 600?? kids, its a reward for the Birr committee who have done a lot of good work.
That's all we can say for the moment. I hope to get to the next game in Birr that we have as I enjoy an aul spin to the town and getting out of the North of our vast and expansive county.

Back to the game, who showed up well?

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

I think everyone is entitled to there opinion,that's what this is isn't it or is it give your opinion and when a group get together and give theirs you have to fall back and agree..get off your high horse it's an open room I'll say what i feel and defend it..I'm not here to lick arse I'm giving my view..and Barr me off the site if ya want ill set up again under another name..is that what is done if you don't agree with someone you try to get them barred off the site..

hurlus
Junior C

OFFALY vs WEXFORD

Post by hurlus »

How are we fixed for the game Sunday. Anyone any ideas on what way the team might line out. Looking forward too a good game. There seems too be a huge effort being put in by the Offaly team and management.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

The lads had to do the pre-match warm up a rugby pitch across from St. Brendans Park. Laughable stuff. Playing a county fixture in a ground like Birr when a superb facility with all mod cons is 25 mins up the road is anther reason when we are going backwards as a county when we should be going forward.
The Wexford game is massive this weekend....a win and its an outing in Croke Park which you'd have to think would give the team an early year lift. Lets hope so.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

In the height of summer teams aren't allowed to do warm ups in OCP.

Common sense given the recent weather would tell anyone not to do a warm up on the match pitch if an alternative was available.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

bracknaghboy wrote:The lads had to do the pre-match warm up a rugby pitch across from St. Brendans Park. Laughable stuff. Playing a county fixture in a ground like Birr when a superb facility with all mod cons is 25 mins up the road is anther reason when we are going backwards as a county when we should be going forward.
The Wexford game is massive this weekend....a win and its an outing in Croke Park which you'd have to think would give the team an early year lift. Lets hope so.
How is that laughable? It's common practice for teams to warm up in other green areas near the pitch. No team does their warm up in the main pitch anymore. In OCP teams either warm up in d area beside the dressing rooms or across the road in O'Brien park. Just because OCP is the most modern facilities doesn't mean every game should be played their. Makes sense to have a few games in Birr and by all accounts in seems they players enjoyed the support.

Keiap
Intermediate

Post by Keiap »

I've played a lot of matches in ocp both football and hurling and you are not allow near the pitch,you warm up in o'brien park or beside the dressing room..in birr you can go to the brothers field or the rugby field it's basically the same thing..bracknaghboy you obviously haven't played in a long time or you don't go to either venue or you have known this,that's laughable

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Bracknagh boy what is laughable your knowledge of hurling or what goes on before games. If teams play in Croke park or most grounds around the country they do not warm up on that pitch. They will pull into a pitch a few miles away and do there warm up.

People must understand we do not think SBP is better than OCP, but we do think with more hard work over the next couple of years it's in a positon to hold big games like county finals and more inter county matches.

We must remember all the work in SBP has been FREE of charge can the same be said of tullamore?

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

bracknaghboy wrote:The lads had to do the pre-match warm up a rugby pitch across from St. Brendans Park. Laughable stuff. Playing a county fixture in a ground like Birr when a superb facility with all mod cons is 25 mins up the road is anther reason when we are going backwards as a county when we should be going forward.
To be fair Bracknaghboy the facility up the road in Tullamore had held the Leinster Junior final the day before and the field was in pretty poor condition even before a ball was pucked in anger because of the saturation of rain we had everywhere. So to play on that would not really have been feasible either, let alone warm up. And as others have said many teams warm up off the actual field of play particularly when conditions are as wet as they are around the country at the moment including in OCP where as already mentioned many teams use O'Brien park to warm up. It seems a bit silly to be picking holes at the idea of wanting to preserve the playing surface when conditions were very testing. They were just using what was made available to them and what was convenient to the ground. To be honest I think your point of view is more aimed at stirring up an argument with other posters.

As for the Wexford game this weekend I'm hopeful. Wexford have won all their matches reasonably easily without exerting themselves, the quality of the opposition is not wonderful in my opinion though. Where Offaly will have benefited from our challenge game with Tipperary more than any of the Walsh Cup games played by either side I feel. They are missing the Oulart players as well as Jack Guiney and Conor Mcdonald. Offaly are 21/10 with Boyles which looks like a bit of value. Win or lose It will be a good tough game going into the league which is exactly what we need. I know it's early doors but I'm pretty happy with what has gone on under Eamon Kelly to date despite losing a couple of players.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Wing Back wrote: As for the Wexford game this weekend I'm hopeful. Wexford have won all their matches reasonably easily without exerting themselves, the quality of the opposition is not wonderful in my opinion though. Where Offaly will have benefited from our challenge game with Tipperary more than any of the Walsh Cup games played by either side I feel. They are missing the Oulart players as well as Jack Guiney and Conor Mcdonald. Offaly are 21/10 with Boyles which looks like a bit of value. Win or lose It will be a good tough game going into the league which is exactly what we need. I know it's early doors but I'm pretty happy with what has gone on under Eamon Kelly to date despite losing a couple of players.
I'd go a step further here - I'd say that in order to have any sense of positivity going into the league campaign, we'd need to win or come pretty damn close to it at the very least this Sunday. As was accurately stated above, this is a Wexford team who will be without two of their leading forwards, as well as their Oulart contingent - admittedly not as big a blow as it might have been a few years ago when Keith Rossiter was in his heyday - and they can realistically expect to improve by five or six points for the National League. We're a lot closer to full strength now, or as full strength as we can expect to be at any stage. If we're to travel to Wexford with any sense of hope next March, we'd need to pick up a win here to give lads the belief that they'll be able to take out a full strength team later.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I know it's a week later but as i was getting married this week this is the 1st chance i have to post about last week.
Lets start with Brendan Park and the running of the game.
It's was excellent. A good crowd and no major traffic around the park, the facility were clean and the stwerads were sound out. Great work from Birr.
The pitch it self wasn't 100% but after the weather that was to be expected.
A big step forward for Birr and good work to the club.

The match itself wasn't a great game but Offaly were the better team but only just. Gorman, O'Connor and Leonard will add a huge amount to the Offaly Panel this year. O'Connor and Leonard have a bit of metal in them. Willing to hit lads and hit them hard.
“Common sense is not so common.”

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

its only the walsh cup and really we can read very little into games at this time of the year but a win would give us 3 wins in a row and put us in the walsh cup final .
it would help build team spirit and allow the managment look at different game plans . In the first game we played with a sweeper but the last day we went 15 on 15.
whoever wins on sunday there will be changes by the time the meet again in the league . both teams should be fairly settled by then and be playing to a definite game plan .
sunday is about whats in these offaly guys bellys .
Have the got sick of been walked all over and are they going to stand up and be men?
There is a feeling that thing are better this year than have been for a number of years . we seem to have more big men , guys like d shortt b leonard c doughan s kinsella c egan s dooley j gorman .
wexford will be a step up from last week but i think we have the guys to beat wexford .

dubbiff
Intermediate

Post by dubbiff »

Congratulations on your nuptials Tox. Are you honeymooning in New Ross?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Toxicity234 wrote:I know it's a week later but as i was getting married this week this is the 1st chance i have to post about last week.
Lets start with Brendan Park and the running of the game.
It's was excellent. A good crowd and no major traffic around the park, the facility were clean and the stwerads were sound out. Great work from Birr.
The pitch it self wasn't 100% but after the weather that was to be expected.
A big step forward for Birr and good work to the club.

The match itself wasn't a great game but Offaly were the better team but only just. Gorman, O'Connor and Leonard will add a huge amount to the Offaly Panel this year. O'Connor and Leonard have a bit of metal in them. Willing to hit lads and hit them hard.
Best of luck in married life,hope you have many years together.