Brian Carroll retires

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Brian Carroll retires

Post by sam88885a »

shane dooley has a good chance of take top spot in the scoring records , his our free taker , his still 28 and his father hurled till he was 38 , we have round robin games this year and he has only 48 points to make up .
could he overtake him before his 30 ????

lads its not a fair comparison b carroll and s dooley didnt ever play in a straight knockout champioship like they other guys did when there were years the only played 1 championship game and offaly were gone .

brian carroll is and was a fine hurler who gave great service to offaly but he was no johhny dooley m corrigan or p molloy.
Johhny dooley and m corrigan was just special talents.
p molloy hurled in a different time where none of todays guys would have last 5 minutes ,he took his life in his hands going out on the pitch and got no protection from a ref and yet he still excelled .

that all the past we need new leaders to emerge now .
Who is going to the this years captain ??? Conor Mahon ? J Demsey?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Best of luck to Brian Carroll on his retirement.
He was a classy, clever and intelligent corner forward.
We miss him.
I hope he will have a look at management. I been at games were Brian been on the bench and he a good talk and very positive in his attitude.
If he spend time working with a good manager as a coach I think he could well make the step up to be an excellent manager long term.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Sam a number of players were cut from the panel last week, C Mahon was one of them. Also Shane Dooley will not hurl till he is 38 just because his father did, Dooley because of the way he is built has another 3 or 4 seasons at most with the intercounty set up.
Also best of luck to Brian Caroll in retirement Offalys best forward over the last 10 years.

keyboardwarrior
Junior A
Club: Ranelagh Gaels

Post by keyboardwarrior »

"p molloy hurled in a different time where none of todays guys would have last 5 minutes"

The all Ireland gold series on TG4 was great for putting paid to this kind of manure which auld lads love to spurt.

Thats not to take at all from paddy molloy who I never saw but heard plenty about. 

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Hard to fathom Conor Mahon not making an Offaly panel? or was it Con Mahon that played at corner back for KK last year that didn't make it?
jimbob

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I've heard that management weren't willing to carry Conor Mahon on the panel while he continues his recovery from injury. How accurate this report is I can't clarify. If it is the case it really is really short-sightedness on their behalf.

On the captaincy issue James Dempsey seemed to be the captain vs DIT but I don't think any full-time captain has been announced.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

i think it is con mahon who didnt make it .
j demsey has lot of experence to bring as captain .
best of luck to brian carroll he owes offaly notting but what i was saying is s dooley has every chance to create his own scoring record , he could play 3 round robins games , then a quarter final and at least 1 other game this year .

HE is less that 50 points off the record ,he may have not set the world on fire over the last few years but his father joe struggled with his form in his late 20 s too and played incredible hurling in his 30 s .
shane probally has 4 years left at county level so if he scores 12 point each year he equally b carroll .
shane is our free taker and free takers are hugely important nowadays .
If shane dooley finds his best form id bet he will take that record at his ease .

Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Post by Observant 7 »

[quote="sam88885a"]i think it is con mahon who didnt make it .

Best of Luck to Brian Carroll on his retirement from Offaly Inter county hurling. A very talanted hurler.

Sam - I don't know where you get your information from but you really need to double check before you print hurlers names. You cannot be dropped from a panel if your not on the panel! I am told that some young hurlers have not accepted the offer on being on the Offaly Hurling panel due to other committements. I am told Con Mahon was invited in with Offaly last year and again this year and as he is a very committed hurler he did not accept the offer for the moment due to other committments.

Offaly need hurlers like Con Mahon on the panel, intelligent, skillful, a natural two sided hurler, fast and committed. The Offaly Hurling Management rightly expect committment from their hurlers, they need to know what hurlers they have for the year. It is right that a hurler like Con Mahon who knows he cannot commit for the moment lets management know that he cannot commit for himself and for his County. Every Hurler wants to play for his County but sometimes hurlers have to make decisions not to go on board when they cannot give full committment. Hurlers should be respected for their decision which is at that moment the correct one for himself and his County. It is not an easy decision to have to make.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Observant 7 wrote:
sam88885a wrote:i think it is con mahon who didnt make it .

Best of Luck to Brian Carroll on his retirement from Offaly Inter county hurling. A very talanted hurler.

Sam - I don't know where you get your information from but you really need to double check before you print hurlers names. You cannot be dropped from a panel if your not on the panel! I am told that some young hurlers have not accepted the offer on being on the Offaly Hurling panel due to other committements. I am told Con Mahon was invited in with Offaly last year and again this year and as he is a very committed hurler he did not accept the offer for the moment due to other committments.

Offaly need hurlers like Con Mahon on the panel, intelligent, skillful, a natural two sided hurler, fast and committed. The Offaly Hurling Management rightly expect committment from their hurlers, they need to know what hurlers they have for the year. It is right that a hurler like Con Mahon who knows he cannot commit for the moment lets management know that he cannot commit for himself and for his County. Every Hurler wants to play for his County but sometimes hurlers have to make decisions not to go on board when they cannot give full committment. Hurlers should be respected for their decision which is at that moment the correct one for himself and his County. It is not an easy decision to have to make.
Sorry what i meant to say was that i thought it was con mahon who didnt made this years panel because he was not in able to give full commitment . Con is a talented hurlers who would only comitte if he could give 100%.. he was ucd hurler of the year in 2013 i think . i love watching con mahon hurl he such a pure hurler .

conor mahon is back training with offaly after last years injuries .some guys seem to be getting them confused .

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Are ye sure its not Conor O Mahony? Oh wait, he's the trainer!!