Paddy Hanamy RIP

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
feirmeoir
Intermediate

Re: Paddy Hanamy RIP

Post by feirmeoir »

John Kinahan played with Offaly Seniors after that, he also played with Westmeath while working in Athlone. He moved to Dublin and is currently living in Meath. His daughter is Deirdre Kinahan who is involved in Plays/ Acting etc

John Hanamy Claraman
Junior B
Club: Clara

Post by John Hanamy Claraman »

Although Paddy captained the 1st Offaly football team to a title he was not the 1st Offalyman to raise a cup in Croke Park. The 47 minor final Offaly V Dublin played in Croke park was a draw and was sent to a replay in Mullingar.
The 1st Offalyman therefore to raise a cup in Croke park was Clara native and proud Tullamore man Noel McGee who captained Offaly to their 1st senior level football title when they won the O Byrne cup in 1954 (played in 1955). Offaly also reached the Leinster senior football final in 54 but lost to Meath who went on to win the 54 All Ireland.
It was fitting that Noel has this historic honour as he is also the only Offalyman to captain both the Offaly senior footballers and Offaly senior hurlers and he was also the first to be presented with the Dowling Cup when he captained winners Tullamore in 1954 the first year the Dowling Cup was Presented to the Offaly senior football winners. JH...

esto fidelis

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I didn't see the Tribune, John. However, the same photo is in both the Ricey Scully / PJ Cummingham book and the Paddy Fenning book. That photo appears to be taken following a match. It contains nine togged-out footballers kneeling in the front row. Mickey Furlong stands hands on hips on the extreme left of the back row, next to two lads wearing street clothes, there are six footballers wearing tricoloured jerseys with two lads wearing white shirts on the extreme right of the back row. Hope that helps.
John Hanamy Claraman wrote:Can you confirm if the photograph you refer to is the one on this weeks Tribune which appears to be a photo taken of the players standing in togeether after the match. Esto Fidelis
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

That's great to hear, feirmeoir. Those lads, being Minor in 1947, were born in 1929 of 1930 and so would be around 85 now.
feirmeoir wrote:John Kinahan played with Offaly Seniors after that, he also played with Westmeath while working in Athlone. He moved to Dublin and is currently living in Meath. His daughter is Deirdre Kinahan who is involved in Plays/ Acting etc

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:That's great to hear, feirmeoir. Those lads, being Minor in 1947, were born in 1929 of 1930 and so would be around 85 now.
feirmeoir wrote:John Kinahan played with Offaly Seniors after that, he also played with Westmeath while working in Athlone. He moved to Dublin and is currently living in Meath. His daughter is Deirdre Kinahan who is involved in Plays/ Acting etc

I think he's 86, would that be right?

Interesting to hear that Noel McGee was from Clara, didn't know that

John Hanamy Claraman
Junior B

Many thanks Pat I was hoping there was a team photo published somewhere that i might be able to get my hands on. I will check with PJ and Ricey If they are aware of any other team photos from 47 it seems not however if this one keeps being used each time we loose one of the faithful.
I wonder if the photo was taken after the replayed final ? Sean Foran didnt play the replay and he is not in the photo.... JH....................."Esto Fidelis"

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I didn't see the Tribune, John. However, the same photo is in both the Ricey Scully / PJ Cummingham book and the Paddy Fenning book. That photo appears to be taken following a match. It contains nine togged-out footballers kneeling in the front row. Mickey Furlong stands hands on hips on the extreme left of the back row, next to two lads wearing street clothes, there are six footballers wearing tricoloured jerseys with two lads wearing white shirts on the extreme right of the back row. Hope that helps.
John Hanamy Claraman wrote:Can you confirm if the photograph you refer to is the one on this weeks Tribune which appears to be a photo taken of the players standing in togeether after the match. Esto Fidelis

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

T'would, feirmeoir. A lad who was in his last year Minor in 1947 (being born in 1929) would turn 86 during 2015.
feirmeoir wrote:I think he's 86, would that be right?

Interesting to hear that Noel McGee was from Clara, didn't know that

John Hanamy Claraman
Junior B

Nice to hear that John Kinahan is well and up in the County Meath, He could be the last or nearly last of that minor winning team still with us There is a v nice recollection of his playing days with Clara and Offaly on the Clara gaa website in the History section - personal recollections http://www.claragaa/personal
Is John's Daughter Deirdre Kinahan the Playwright and producer?. She was very vocal recently on tv news and current affairs programs highlighting the story of the lack of women writers and producers involved in the Abbey Theatre productions planned for the centenary year 2016.

Yes Noel Mcgee was born in Clara and moved to Tullamore when his family moved when he was a child, He always claimed to be proud of his Clara roots however he was a Tullamore man true and blue. A dual club captain and player, mentor and official and a dual county player, mentor and official he was an active and committed supporter of Club and County right up to his death in 2006..............JH

(quote="feirmeoir"]
Plain of the Herbs wrote:That's great to hear, feirmeoir. Those lads, being Minor in 1947, were born in 1929 of 1930 and so would be around 85 now.

I think he's 86, would that be right?

Interesting to hear that Noel McGee was from Clara, didn't know that[/quote]

John Hanamy Claraman
Junior B

http://www.Hoganstand.com/offaly had put up a nice piece on Paddy Hanamy with a photo of the College team he also captained to Leinster success in 1947, note his fellow clubman and county player Paddy Fenlon Ballycumber in the picture on that team that year also
Sadly they had to put up a tribute to another Doon man John Egan today after he passed away unexpectedly after a short illness. That iconic offaly team photo from the 1969 final is also posted. What a full back line Greg Hughes, Paddy McCormack and Johnny Egan. ..........................JH ............................................Esto Fidelis

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

I'd say that Deirdre ok

I can't access that website at the moment

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

any chance you could provide the link or the actually article which was on the Clara GAA website

thanks

John Hanamy Claraman
Junior B

feirmeoir wrote:any chance you could provide the link or the actually article which was on the Clara GAA website

thanks

Feirmeoir
There are 5 lovely pieces well worth reading in the personal recollections section of the Clara Gaa website.
3 by former players from days past - memories of the twenties from Barney Connolly, Reminiscences from Siki Geoghegan and memories of Good Days by Johnny and two from club officials Michael Nestor and Bro Sylvester.
They all provide a great insight into their playing days, facilities, transport and most of all their love of the game, Siki was an hurling man and gives that insight while Johnny mainly a footballer, their contributions are also amusing with anecdotes and are well written, clearly Deirdre didn't lick it off the ground.
The link is .. http://www.claragaa.ie/personal-account-of-our-history/ ........ JH...............esto fidelis

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

thanks for that, very interesting