Bally v Edenderry

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lea-Bally-man
Junior A

Post by Lea-Bally-man »

:?: Any Update?
BA

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

The appeal has been lodged. pat Teeham was away with the Offaly hurlers so it hasn't been heard yet. As soon as he attends the next meeting it will be considered.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Lea Bally Man, re your comment - it was not a Rhode official who brought this to Ballycumber's attention but in fact 8 clubs alerted Ballycumber to the situation and none of them were Rhode. Get your facts right.
The meeting will be held tomorrow night.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Edenderry have lost the points for the win over Ballycumber and Finbarr Cullen has been suspended for 6 months.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

That leaves a sour taste. And it sounds as if Finbarr has been done over big time. How can he personally be responsible for bureaucracy gone mad?

I find it hard to have sympathy for Edenderry in this, they must have suspected something was up, and also they tried to shaft Ferbane in their run to the Leinster Club in 1986 over Johnny Grehan and Cathal Ryan and co :) (We forgive, not forget :) )

Seriously though, I'm disappointed that there seems to be a complete arse made of this, on all sides, and as usual the biggest loser of all is the player.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Also, I just copped Lone Sharks position on the Daly role in the Manager situation. LS, I can tell you for a fact that Our glorious leader was personally involved at a very instrumental level in the removal of Paul O'Kelly.

As for Fahy, obviously I would be further from that situation so this is with a grain of salt, but I also heard he was a ringleader there.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

azoffaly wrote:Also, I just copped Lone Sharks position on the Daly role in the Manager situation. LS, I can tell you for a fact that Our glorious leader was personally involved at a very instrumental level in the removal of Paul O'Kelly.

As for Fahy, obviously I would be further from that situation so this is with a grain of salt, but I also heard he was a ringleader there.
To be honest I suspected as much, but it's just that seeing as it's not a matter of public record, I'd be wary of making reference to it is all. What is very clear is that Ollie has little or no grounds to be parachuting himself into the selectorial team, except to prove the age old adage "I could do better myself". I suspect he mightn't though.

Regarding the suspension, it is very disappointing that events have come to pass as they have, but if Edenderry were not informed about Finbarr being suspended, they have been very slow to make their case. If they were informed, they don't have a leg to stand on.

As to Finbarr himself, can anyone confirm that if as a GAA player you receive a suspension, are you notified as to the details yourself, or is all communication through your club?

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Dunno, I was never suspended :)

Even so, I find it hard to believe that Finbarr/Edenderry would play an illegal player in the first game of the league stages, knowing the penalties. I know rules are rules, but I honestly believe this was a mix up rather than a deliberate ploy. The risks far outweigh the rewards.

Edenderry forfeiting the game would seem to be punishment enough.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

azoffaly wrote:Edenderry forfeiting the game would seem to be punishment enough.
That depends. That's why I'm curious as to whether Finbarr would have been notified directly. If he was, in a clear and unambiguous manner, then I'd find sympathy hard to come by. If not, then I'd be inclined to agree with the above assessment.

Treasurer
All Star

Suspensions

Post by Treasurer »

The player gets a letter sent via the club secretary and the secretary also gets it in writing and then all clubs would receive notification of all suspensions via copies of the GAC minutes. I can't recall offhand, but I'd be pretty sure that the letter states the same as what's in the GAC minutes, eg..

player x club x was suspended for 4 weeks from (whatever date) – Riail 138 (1) (C) T.O. Congress 2005.....

If I got the above letter (prior to this incident), I'd have assumed that it told the full story and it wouldn't have occurred to me to look up the rule book to see exactly what it says under that rule, which is unfortunately that category(c) offences must include a match suspension.

It all comes down what the referee reports, you could get a four week suspension and have to miss a match (category c), or you could get 13 weeks under category b and miss no match.

seamroga
Senior

Post by seamroga »

I had a feeling that might happen. It's a terrible pity that Finbarr should be suspended. Hopefully, something can be done to reduce his suspension but that might not be possible the way the rule book is written.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I'd say Treas' assumption might be right. I can't see any way that Edenderry or Finbarr himself would risk playing him in the knowledge that they were leaving themselves open for penalties and suspensions. I'd imagine they got the suspension, said '4 weeks' and forgot all about it.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

I find it hard to have sympathy for Edenderry in this, they must have suspected something was up, and also they tried to shaft Ferbane in their run to the Leinster Club in 1986 over Johnny Grehan and Cathal Ryan and co (We forgive, not forget )
This was a valid objection which was dismissed on a trivial technicality by the County Board.Ferbane played illegal Belmont players in the 1986 League final.This was just after the parish rule had come in and Edenderry had left their Ballyfore players on the sideline in recognition of this.Ferbane won the match by 2 points and went on to win Leinster.I remember Mick Lowry telling me one time in edenderry that the first 2 faces he saw after winning the Leinster club were Edenderry ones in the shape of 2 Edenderry stalwarts from the Farrell family.

Granted, we did object but we had the good grace to be there and congratulate upon victory,not only for Ferbane,but for Offaly as well.

far from croghan hill
County player

Post by far from croghan hill »

Perhaps AZ Offaly is sore also about the 8 minutes that mick mahon played in 1997!!!!

As for the suspension handed down..everyone ask themselves this question- WOULD the kerry county board allow this to happen to Seamus moynahan? or in Kildare to Glen Ryan, or James Nallen in Mayo..because this is the comparsion. He has been a role model for football in offaly for the last 15 years, and although the rules were broken, everyone agrees that it was not intentional. Cumann Luth-Chleas Gael Baile an Comhair bow your heads in shame. Even with the four points they still wont be in the business end of the championship. i am sure to draw a response from the usual suspects, but those of us who still adhere to integrity, fair play and honesty will concur with my sentiments.
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!

Lone Shark
All Star

Re: Suspensions

Post by Lone Shark »

Treasurer wrote:The player gets a letter sent via the club secretary and the secretary also gets it in writing and then all clubs would receive notification of all suspensions via copies of the GAC minutes. I can't recall offhand, but I'd be pretty sure that the letter states the same as what's in the GAC minutes, eg..

player x club x was suspended for 4 weeks from (whatever date) – Riail 138 (1) (C) T.O. Congress 2005.....
Far be it from me to encourage legal proceedings and what have you, but IF that is the case, then certainly I would sympathise with Finbarr and Edenderry. Surely if a player is suspended for a certain amount of time there is an onus on the suspending body to communicate it correctly. In an ideal world the slub secretary would seek clarification in advance, but it is understandable that they might pursue a policy of say nothing till you hear more.