Seamus Darby

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
dubbiff
Intermediate

Seamus Darby

Post by dubbiff »

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Re: Seamus Darby

Post by ryot »

Great piece of radio & good to hear some of those lads................

But the 4 points Seamus scored in the 72 Final Replay were almost as important as the goal !!!!!

I wish him well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Good documentary. The bit I take issue with was deeming the '82 final as 'not a classic' and the first half as a 'torrid affair'. I had to listen back to make sure I was not hearing things! The first half of that match was as good football as ever played in any final in Croke Park. The narrator did not appear to be knowledgeable on the game; it was more the human interest side of things that were brought to the fore.

Ryot, I thought it was two points that Seamus Darby scored in the 1972 reply but I am open to correction. I was trying to find a list of scorers but to no avail.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

First touch: if it was 2 points I will stand corrected.............

Anyone scoring off Mike O Se was doing well as mostly a player just got hardship from that source, or a broken collar bone ala Johnny Cooney................

keyboardwarrior
Junior A
Club: Ranelagh Gaels

Post by keyboardwarrior »

"The bit I take issue with was deeming the '82 final as 'not a classic' and the first half as a 'torrid affair'. I had to listen back to make sure I was not hearing things! The first half of that match was as good football as ever played in any final in Croke Park"

Nail on the head there!

I'd rank it alongside the 95 Leinster hurling final as one of the one of the finest first halves played by an Offaly team (in similar conditions). Just on the OY side alone you had a fantastic score from Liam Currams at the start with his opposite wing Pat Fitzgerald getting up for one. You had a sublime piece of two footed soling and finish from Matt Connor, and a lovely point from Brendan Lowry. Good competitive backsmanship at the other end. Did he watch a different game altogether?

When I head the northern accent on yer man I expected this was some kind of a labour of love doc for him (True Red esque!) but it was clear on a number of occasions that he hadn't a breeze about sport.

No true sportsman would ask another sportsman 'do you regret scoring the goal'. Thought that was a truly cringe moment and it was met with appropriate bemusement from Darby.

Actually True Red was the man to do that doc ...

Best of luck to Seamus in his recovery. really enjoyed his own honest contribution (and the others interviewed) about the extent of the celebrations that followed ("if the wrong lads meet up the celebrations can still be going on!")

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

keyboardwarrior wrote:"The bit I take issue with was deeming the '82 final as 'not a classic' and the first half as a 'torrid affair'. I had to listen back to make sure I was not hearing things! The first half of that match was as good football as ever played in any final in Croke Park"

Nail on the head there!

I'd rank it alongside the 95 Leinster hurling final as one of the one of the finest first halves played by an Offaly team (in similar conditions). Just on the OY side alone you had a fantastic score from Liam Currams at the start with his opposite wing Pat Fitzgerald getting up for one. You had a sublime piece of two footed soling and finish from Matt Connor, and a lovely point from Brendan Lowry. Good competitive backsmanship at the other end. Did he watch a different game altogether?

When I head the northern accent on yer man I expected this was some kind of a labour of love doc for him (True Red esque!) but it was clear on a number of occasions that he hadn't a breeze about sport.

No true sportsman would ask another sportsman 'do you regret scoring the goal'. Thought that was a truly cringe moment and it was met with appropriate bemusement from Darby.

Actually True Red was the man to do that doc ...

Best of luck to Seamus in his recovery. really enjoyed his own honest contribution (and the others interviewed) about the extent of the celebrations that followed ("if the wrong lads meet up the celebrations can still be going on!")
Agree with the above.

Interestingly Seamus was asked the same question about the goal (did he ever regret it) back in 1998 in the Terrace Talk interview that can be found below. Time does nothing to lessen the 'cringe' factor.

http://www.terracetalk.com/interviews/G/44/Seamus-Darby
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Scorers in drawn 1972 Final:
Offaly: Tony McTague 0-6 (frees), Johnny Cooney 1-2, Paddy Fenning & John Smith 0-2 each, Kevin Kilmurray 0-1.
Kerry: Brendan Lynch 1-7 (0-3 frees), Mick O’Dwyer 0-5 (0-4 frees), Mick O’Connell 0-1 (free).

Scorers in the 1972 replay
Offaly: Tony McTague 0-10, Paddy Fenning 1-1, Willie Bryan 0-3, Murt Connor 7 Séamus Darby 0-2 each, Kevin Kilmurray 0-1.
Kerry: Mick O’Connell 0-7, Mick O’Dwyer, Brendan Lynch & Liam Higgins 0-2 each.

(I don’t have the breakdown of scores from play/frees for the replay.)

And you're right f_t, the first half of the 1982 Final was an absolute classic.
first_touch wrote:Good documentary. The bit I take issue with was deeming the '82 final as 'not a classic' and the first half as a 'torrid affair'. I had to listen back to make sure I was not hearing things! The first half of that match was as good football as ever played in any final in Croke Park. The narrator did not appear to be knowledgeable on the game; it was more the human interest side of things that were brought to the fore.

Ryot, I thought it was two points that Seamus Darby scored in the 1972 reply but I am open to correction. I was trying to find a list of scorers but to no avail.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

A searingly honest interview if not a little hamstrung by the interviewers slight lack of GAA knowledge. Nobody with any rhyme or reason could call the first half of that All Ireland Final a torrid affair.

Besides that, it delivers a deep insight into the personal life of a man who will be forever remembered, and rightly so, as a hero in the history of Offaly GAA.
Not only did he win All Irelands on the field of play, but he also won serious battles off it.

On a wider note, will we ever see those days again? It's a big wheel that doesn't turn.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Good piece overall. We'd have learned most of the nuggets about Darby over the years, but it was good to hear him get it across and his own words and in the right context. Darby is certainly very durable to come back from being broke. It's difficult to imagine bouncing back from being at zero when he went over to London.

On the point of regret. There was an old wives tale doing the rounds that Darby allegedly said if he had the chance again, he'd put the ball wide. That and about a thousand other false rumours about him.

I found the music a bit overly twee after a while. It was the early 80s in Offaly we're talking about, not the 1880s in West Clare.

Also, as outlined the 1982 final was a classic. It was a leap forward in the standard of play from the Dublin-Kerry era in the mid 70s. In the first half, the entire Offaly half back line scored from play, which was a quantum leap from the traditional catch-and-kick and backs and forwards in their 6 boxes approach.

I must dig out 'Kings of September', because I'm nearly sure Padraig Dunne said the 1981 final was his first time on a train.