2015 SFC Final - Edenderry vs. Rhode 11/10/15

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
mickey
Senior
Club: ferbane

2015 SFC Final - Edenderry vs. Rhode 11/10/15

Post by mickey »

Well folks.whats your take on the senior county final this year?I think edenderry have been by far the most impressive team this year out of the 2.iv seen rhode 3 or 4 times this year and they have been nothing short of awful. I don't blame them though.the tirdness of reaching last year's leinster final looks like it has taken its toll.the hunger doesn't seem to be there anton has been a huge let down plus both mcphaddens and mcnamee and few others.iv also seen edenderry on a number of occasions and I have been very impressed especially with the attacking of the wing backs but are solid all over and are scoring alot this year.a thing which they were never doing up to this.with this in mind and rhode an ageing team I can only see 100% an edenderry win by at least 4 or 5 points.rhode have been great champions and I wish them luck in the future but unfortunately for them the success is ending.surely edenderry will be the bookies favourites?

jimbob17
All Star

Re: edenderry vs rhode

Post by jimbob17 »

mickey wrote:Well folks.whats your take on the senior county final this year?I think edenderry have been by far the most impressive team this year out of the 2.iv seen rhode 3 or 4 times this year and they have been nothing short of awful. I don't blame them though.the tirdness of reaching last year's leinster final looks like it has taken its toll.the hunger doesn't seem to be there anton has been a huge let down plus both mcphaddens and mcnamee and few others.iv also seen edenderry on a number of occasions and I have been very impressed especially with the attacking of the wing backs but are solid all over and are scoring alot this year.a thing which they were never doing up to this.with this in mind and rhode an ageing team I can only see 100% an edenderry win by at least 4 or 5 points.rhode have been great champions and I wish them luck in the future but unfortunately for them the success is ending.surely edenderry will be the bookies favourites?
You are obviously a Rhode man Mickey playing up the opposition. Couldnt agree with that. Rhode are pretty much unbeaten all year. the back McPadden was excellent the last day I thought. Niall not on fire but still playing well at club level. Anton will be back eager and refreshed from his suspension. Edenderry have struggled through good few of their group games. They overcame an "Off" looking Tullamore team in semi who never raised a gallop. They scored 4-4 to draw with Rhode in group game. Will Rhode concede like that again - I doubt it. I hope I am wrong but cant see anyone but Rhode winning this and like previous years, Rhode are red hot favourites in the bookies!
jimbob

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Both semi finals were truly awful stuff , let's hope the final can give a better account of Offaly football . Edenderrys game plan was to kick high ball into the big full forward and with mcconway not playing they found success here , weak links for me are corner backs , both small enough men and will get it hard to contain Niall who scored 5/6 points the last day one of which was an outstanding shot with the outside of the boot. Edenderrys midfield the last day dominated with Kelly and Guing on top and this for me is their strongest pairing who can cause major problems for Rhodes midfield. I was glad to see the ref book mcpadden for diving the last day . It's hard to look past rhode and if they click on the day they could let rip and win by 6-7 points.

mickey
Senior

Post by mickey »

I'm not a rhode man.far from it im giving my opinion.its not a patch on previous rhode teams and edenderry have emproved edenderry improving

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: 2015 SFC Final - Edenderry vs. Rhode 11/10/15

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Edenderry hammered high ball after high ball in during the county final last year, hardly stick to the same plan this year?

I hope to God its better that last year as that was one of the worst games of football I ever watched.

Edenderry winning would be a novelty to a degree and they have a few players that Offaly could do with coming back into the set up. But hard to look beyond Rhode if they keep the hunger and desire up to the required levels, which I have no doubt that they will

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

For the sake of variety you'd like to see Edenderry win, though the other side of that coin is that if Rhode are going to win a Leinster club, they need to do it sooner rather than later, and I don't think anyone in Offaly wants to see this generation of players slip into retirement without coming out of their province at least once. The draw this year is such that there is the possibility of getting to a Leinster final without leaving O'Connor Park (again) and that also means playing the Dublin champions on home ground rather than in a neutral venue.

Anyway, what we'd like to see is irrelevant - the players will dictate what happens and my gut feeling is that if Edenderry weren't able to get over the line against Rhode in the group stages, when they scored four goals, they'll struggle to do so here. The handicap is three and I'd be strong on Rhode minus at that level.

As for this:
mickey wrote:surely edenderry will be the bookies favourites?
I really wish some of these people would actually get jobs setting odds for bookies. It'd make life so much easier.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

italia90
Junior A

Post by italia90 »

I think edenderry are building a good team but are two or three years away from peaking. Rhode should cover the handicap.

mickey
Senior

Post by mickey »

Rhode have not performed once this year.edenderry started slowly but definitely improving per game.would of beat rhode in group stages handy if hadn't a lad sent off and a black card for another

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Edenderry did win it in 2012 so they have been around the last 5 years near the top they also lost last years final to Rhode. so it would be no shock if they were to win it this year.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

townman wrote:Edenderry did win it in 2012 so they have been around the last 5 years near the top they also lost last years final to Rhode. so it would be no shock if they were to win it this year.
Was it not 2010 when edenderry last won it? That year they didn't run into Rhode as Clara beat them in the semi , for me the games are lacking a bit of hard but fair hitting , it's all about Hand pass and go for return and let's defend rather than attach as much. I hope both teams come out and let loose and attach so we get a better final than last year .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sorry it was 2011 that Edenderry last won it.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

townman wrote:sorry it was 2011 that Edenderry last won it.
We were both wrong , not to memorable so!! Ha

mickey
Senior

Post by mickey »

How long is it since rhode did in a row?also I don't think they ever won county after reaching leinster
final before

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Here we go score prediction , Rhode 2-12 Edenderry 0-06 , hope I'm wrong as in id like to see a great final unlike last years , good luck to both teams on Sunday .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Edenderry 1-12 Rhode 1-10 FT . as i said during the week be no massive shock if Edenderry did win, well done to them.