U21 LHS Offaly v Wexford, O'Connor Park, 7.30pm

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
hopper82
Junior A

Re: U21 LHS Offaly v Wexford, O'Connor Park, 7.30pm

Post by hopper82 »

Wexford 4-17 Kilkenny 1-09
Was watching this game last night and I felt more proud of the performance Offaly put in a couple of weeks ago in Tullamore.

Offaly looked well more equipped than Kilkenny were to beat Wexford ,I don't like the theory we only lost by 7 and Kilkenny lost by 17 we would beat Kilkenny but from what I saw last night I would fancy our chances .
Hopefully Ciaran McDonald stays involved and we put the work in to target this championship next year .

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

The performance of Cillian Kiely in the Offaly v Wexford Under 21 Game on Conor Mc Donald (who scored 1-10 last night) failed to win for him any real game time in our clash with Clare. Are we back to the situation that the club you are from decides whether you will get on the Offaly Senior Hurling Team rather than current form and ability.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

hopper82 wrote:Wexford 4-17 Kilkenny 1-09
Was watching this game last night and I felt more proud of the performance Offaly put in a couple of weeks ago in Tullamore.

Offaly looked well more equipped than Kilkenny were to beat Wexford ,I don't like the theory we only lost by 7 and Kilkenny lost by 17 we would beat Kilkenny but from what I saw last night I would fancy our chances .
Hopefully Ciaran McDonald stays involved and we put the work in to target this championship next year .
Careful now, you'll have Offaly reaching for the snooze button again with that kind of chat. :lol:

You're right about Ciaran McDonald. Offaly could do with him and more like him coming more to the fore. He understands the game and being from outside the county would have a fresh perspective.
For anyone who didn't hear it, this is his post match interview after the Wexford defeat, where he nails a lot of what Offaly's structural problems are.
https://m.soundcloud.com/midlandssport/ ... st-wexford

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

[quote][The performance of Cillian Kiely in the Offaly v Wexford Under 21 Game on Conor Mc Donald (who scored 1-10 last night) failed to win for him any real game time in our clash with Clare. Are we back to the situation that the club you are from decides whether you will get on the Offaly Senior Hurling Team rather than current form and ability./quote]
I do think it was a decent display by all the backs and a good workman performance in general from the U21s that day but yes I was strange that Kiely who was first sub for every match this year only got 2min against clare, he must have been carrying an injury into the game.
From the last 3 Lenister winning wexford teams, how did they get on at minor and U16?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Oh Jaysus, stop. They'll be deciding there's no need to do anything about underage hurling, strength and conditioning and the like at that rate. As if there aren't enough around the county who are railing against the S&C programme Stephen Byrne and Ned O'Connor are promoting with the U16s. Don't forget Offaly U21s were thrown around Tellamore by a well conditioned Wexford. Wexford's preparation didn't happen by accident either.

And if the 'Wexford beat Kilkenny by 17 and Offaly by 7' logic is persuading anyone, probably worth reminding them that Wexford beat Kildare by 9 in the first round.
Bord na Mona man wrote:
hopper82 wrote:Wexford 4-17 Kilkenny 1-09

Careful now, you'll have Offaly reaching for the snooze button again with that kind of chat. :lol:
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Before going on to anything else.
I was at the U21 final last Sat in Banager.
The condition were awful but the match itself was excellent. Full of fight and hard work.
Cúchulainn Gaels were super. Should have won the game. They're defence and midfield were outstanding.
Realy hoping to see more of Cúchulainn Gaels over the next 10 years they be a huge addition to any championship.

But credit to Kilcormac Killoughey too. They suck in the game when thing could have gone away for them. they never gave up and with they half back line putting themselves on the line. they dragged themselves back into the game.
Cathal Mahon had an excellent game and Murray free taking under pressure was very good.
But Cillian Kiely move to centre forward in the last 10 mins change the game.
He picked up two great point to win the game.

Overall a excellent u21 championship. With Cúchulainn Gaels, Shinrone, St Brendan, St Rynagh's and Kilcormac Killoughey all within a few points of each other.

Also Well done to Cillian Kiely who picked up the Long puck in Howth earlier in the day and to Cathel Kiely who at 14 year old came second in the under 16 long puck.

Rynagh had it jubilee celebrations for its 1st County champion winning team and the opening of it's new artificial playing area. Well done to the club for a well run event and the excellent new facility.
“Common sense is not so common.”