New Hurling Manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

New Hurling Manager

Post by Buttons »

With Sid not seeking a third year in charge this means a new manager, hopefully it will be picked soon so they can review the offaly championship and get a good winter training plan in place. The list of names will be few.

I see Joe Errity and Keith Begley have also departed

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: New Hurling Manager

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I spotted this in the match programme for the recent Leix v Offaly SHC match. Can tho be implemented, or will tho be just for counties who don't have 'natural' hurlers like Offaly do?

GAA Mandatory Coaching Standards Policy

Intercounty Management Teams

By the start of the 2016 season, all Inter-County Management teams will contain an award 2 coach. This person would ideally be the head coach. Applications for a derogation can be made to the National Games Development Committee where deemed to be in the best developmental interests of the relevant team.
By the start of the 2018 season, all Inter-County Head Coaches will be Award 2 qualified.

Club Management Teams

By the start of the 2016 season, all Club Management teams will contain an Award 1 Coach.
By the start of the 2018 season, all Club Head Coaches will be Award 1 qualified.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

There should be less focus on the individual manager and more on who his coaching ticket will be. There are a lot of areas that will need work on for 2016.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

You may have misread the programme POTH or else there is a mistake as regarding club management teams as it is 2016 when all club management teams must contain an Award 1 coach and this person would ideally be the head coach.
And by 2018 all head coaches in clubs must be Award 1 qualified.

A few issues with the practicalities of this would be:

1. A small club in Offaly might not be able find the requisite amount of people to attend these courses as they are time consuming. By my reading of it every team needs an award 1 qualified coach involved next year. e.g. 1 for U6/U8, 1 for U10/U12, 1 for U14/U16, 1 for minor/U21 and 1 for adult teams. Now of course if a club was lucky they could have maybe 2 qualified coaches and they get involved with all teams between them but who has the time to do this? So clubs need up to at least 5 coaches with these qualifications. Is this overly optimistic particularly for smaller clubs.

2. What's to stop clubs putting the one guy down (qualified coach) on paper as being involved with all teams but in reality carrying the same as normal?

3. In reality how can these regulations be enforced??

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I did misread it, whether due to failing eyesight or whatever. Have edited it above now. Thank you for pointing that out.
frankthetank wrote:You may have misread the programme POTH or else there is a mistake as regarding club management teams as it is 2016 when all club management teams must contain an Award 1 coach and this person would ideally be the head coach.
And by 2018 all head coaches in clubs must be Award 1 qualified.

A few issues with the practicalities of this would be:

1. A small club in Offaly might not be able find the requisite amount of people to attend these courses as they are time consuming. By my reading of it every team needs an award 1 qualified coach involved next year. e.g. 1 for U6/U8, 1 for U10/U12, 1 for U14/U16, 1 for minor/U21 and 1 for adult teams. Now of course if a club was lucky they could have maybe 2 qualified coaches and they get involved with all teams between them but who has the time to do this? So clubs need up to at least 5 coaches with these qualifications. Is this overly optimistic particularly for smaller clubs.

2. What's to stop clubs putting the one guy down (qualified coach) on paper as being involved with all teams but in reality carrying the same as normal?

3. In reality how can these regulations be enforced??
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

The first step in planning for the future should be a full report from Offaly Co Chairman Padraig Boland on all his meetings with the players who left the senior panel. We have to use the past 2 years as a learning experience and ensure that the same mistakes are not made again. Far too simple just to blame Brian Whelehan for all our problems.
Offaly Hurling is facing a major challenge, as it has now reached the situation where it is now much more appealing for players to concentrate on club hurling rather than commit to county hurling.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Sharp Eye wrote:The first step in planning for the future should be a full report from Offaly Co Chairman Padraig Boland on all his meetings with the players who left the senior panel. We have to use the past 2 years as a learning experience and ensure that the same mistakes are not made again. Far too simple just to blame Brian Whelehan for all our problems.
Offaly Hurling is facing a major challenge, as it has now reached the situation where it is now much more appealing for players to concentrate on club hurling rather than commit to county hurling.
Exactly. Our problems don't solely lie with Brian Whelahan performance as managers. So many areas need to be looked at. Why have our big names consistently underperformed? It's a shame that we have never seen the likes of Dooley, currams, Bergin and Carroll really fulfil their potential on the inter county scene.

What did they rest of the management team contribute, Troy, Farrell, Fox etc. Another major problem is the club championship being so uncompetitive, we have a situation where teams are only going through the motions until August and September. So two months of the year all our club players are flat out and that's it, bit of a joke. As sharpeye said, it's not appealing anymore to hurl inter county, that needs to be addressed by county board. Clubs, players, county board need to start singing off the same hymn sheet if we are ever to get back to being competitive again.

Another thing, has anyone else felt that this years championship has been a complete bore fest with teams playing so defensive and cagey?

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

New poster here lads....But long time reader. Wanted to revive this thread as was wondering has there been any word on the situation with the hunt for a new Offaly senior manager at present?

The last I heard was Liam Sheedy from Tipp was heading up a 3 man panel with Rory Hanniffy and Joe Brady to select some suitable candidates to fill the vacancy. I'm glad that they have brought someone in with a neutral perspective but also someone who knows what they're talking about to scope out possible candidates who are interested.

I know its easy to look back in hindsight, but I believed the last 2 appointments by the county board were very dodgy when both were appointed respectively. No experience or success worth noting in management at all. Baker in particular lacked basic managerial tactics that was plain to see. His last game in charge against Waterford in Tullamore really sticks in my mind as an example of this. It would be interesting to see the scoring and evaluation the county board used when discussing the post with both and how they demonstrated there suitability to the position.

But at least they have finally learned from the past and seen they're choices of picking a candidate have not been up to scratch, and they have got someone in who (I would think) would be a good judge.

If there was any news on the underage set-up for next year that too would be great to hear also.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'