All-Ireland Football Qualifiers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Re: All-Ireland Football Qualifiers

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

ya shud be listenin to the 2 lads townman & get yer head outa yer hole.

if offaly dont bate the blahs its all a matter. tipp put 1-24 on dem & missed 4-5 more goals. de blahs are stone useless

hopper82
Junior A

Post by hopper82 »

A Saturday game in Waterford , hopefully a few families will pack the buckets and spades and make a weekend of it .

Tipp blew Waterford off the field last week but that was of no real surprise as Tipp are all the time improving, lets not forget Tipp have recently won all Irelands at under age ,they beat Laois off the field in the championship last year and only for very narrow defeats to Fermanagh and in particular Armagh where the lost by a point Tipp would be operating in division 2 next year . I would go as far as to say Tipp will run kerry very close when they meet , so I am no way surprised they beat Waterford so easily .

Going on league form Offaly should win this one without much of a fuss , as we beat them well on a foggy day in Tullamore during the league , but going on league form shouldn't we have beaten Longford as well ? Waterford were winning that game up until half time but they played the second half with 14 men and Offaly pushed on to win by a comfortable margin.

It looks like the panel have stuck together and there is no mutterings of unrest in the camp which is always a good sign .

Pat Flanagan needs a win here as it would be a massive blow to his tenure if we are beaten.

Offaly Supporters need a win here, Imagine the pessimism around the county if we exit the football championship next week .

Most importantly the players need the win here to gain championship experience.

Its like a hoodoo blew over O'Connor park when we were set for the win against Longford that wouldn't allow us to get the monkey of winning a leinster championship match off our backs.

The players retreated and Invited Longford to come at us, I remember when Mullhalls kick outs were hanging in the air when the game was in the melting pot thinking to myself I would love if we had an experienced player like Ciaran Mcmanus or Paschall Kellaghan to win possession and calm things down around the middle third .

Its up to this crop to make things happen and gain the experience of closing out inter county championship games, hopefully they let the shackles off and get a much needed result they are more than capable of getting . Best of luck to Pat and the lads .

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

Good to see that the team have hung in there for Pat Flanagan.

We are now into round 2A after today's win against Waterford. A home draw against Clare (or Sligo or Fermanagh IF they lose their provincial semi final) would I suppose give us a decent chance of progress. That match will be on Saturday 4th July.

Anyway one step at a time. Good to be playing into July anyway :D

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Delighted for this group of lads. The fact that Pat Flanagan was able to call on the same 15 as the Longford game goes to show how committed to the cause these lads are. As much as a one point result would have been enough, a 13point win should give this team great confidence going into the next round. Am I correct in saying this is our first champ win since 2011?? Well done to lone shark, great tip in the offaly independent

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

allstar2010 wrote:Delighted for this group of lads. The fact that Pat Flanagan was able to call on the same 15 as the Longford game goes to show how committed to the cause these lads are. As much as a one point result would have been enough, a 13point win should give this team great confidence going into the next round. Am I correct in saying this is our first champ win since 2011?? Well done to lone shark, great tip in the offaly independent
Offaly beat Monaghan in Tullamore that year. Offaly hurlers were away to Cork that day, and came close to beating the home side, but Cork came through.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Kildare next in Tellamore. We go again!

hopper82
Junior A

Post by hopper82 »

Robbed a piece from Kildare discussion Forum :

Subject: Re: Offaly v Kildare Today at 7:38 pm
Ah Jesus how many times this year are people going to big up Offaly against us.. Happened at minor and under 21 already. I doubt any bookie will make it 50/50. If we can't beat Offaly on any pitch in Ireland (particularly if McNamee can't play as I read over the week end) we should give up altogether. I know we're both in Div 3 next year but we've at more recent pedegree.. Their win against Waterford (yes Waterford) was their first championship win in 4 years.

A bit of doom and gloom around the Kildare supporters they have set up an Offaly v Kildare thread the same week of there clash with Dublin,some of their supporters are still snubbing us and expecting a handy win.

I for one am happy with the draw , it certainly beats a trip away to Roscommon , Cavan or Fermanagh .

What I like about it most It presents a massive opportunity for these lads to show that Offaly football is on the up and a win here would be redemption and more for our first round exit to Longford.

Kildare didn't look wonderful against Laois and the fact they are playing 6 days after the Dublin game will certainly be a factor in my opinion.

Mcnamee is a major doubt which is so unfortunate and it would be a massive blow if he cant play, even still I feel we are going into this with at least a 50/50 chance ,I'm looking forward to it, Its been a while since I was quietly confident going into battle with our noisy neighbours. :)

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I think it's a good draw for Offaly, assuming Dublin don't shit on the eggs against Kildare. Effectively it's a chance to test ourselves, at home, against a team which is theoretically and on recent experience better than us, but is not unwinnable. In fact if Offaly play well, they'll have every chance against a team that will be in the same division next year, albeit fresh off D2 football versus D4 football. In corporate speak, this is a 'stretch goal' and is I think an ideal draw for Pat to see where we are, and what progress we've made. Longford was a blip, Saturday was good at times, poor at times in the first half.

I think Offaly will tear into this, and see it as a chance to serve notice to Kildare we are on the way back. Hon the Faithful.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Bar the biggest upset since Goliath said 'David who?', it should be Kildare, and this is a winnable game, as in a game that Offaly should have full belief they are capable of winning. Kildare had a disaster of a league, and the knives were very much out for Jason Ryan. The bounce effect of their replay win against Laois is bound to be deflated somewhat by Laois's capitulation to Antrim. Kildare are a fragile team, confidence-wise, and if Offaly keep harrying them, they are there to be knocked.
A couple of wins on the bounce would do wonders for Offaly football, and 2015 could be a solid platform to build from.
Meanwhile, we got Cavan. Christ, it doesn't get any easier...

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Great draw for Offaly, especially getting them to OCP.

Was on the Kildare forum already doing a bit of stirring !!!!

Remember we gave them socks in O'Byrne Cup game last year,,,,,, so why not just get stuck into them,,,,,,,,,

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Has anyone even considered that Kildare might win on Sunday and we'll end up playing Dublin in the qualifiers. :)

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

DAF wrote:Has anyone even considered that Kildare might win on Sunday and we'll end up playing Dublin in the qualifiers. :)
No.