Laois v Offaly – Leinster Hurling Quarter Final 7th June

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Laois v Offaly – Leinster Hurling Quarter Final 7th Ju

Post by sam88885a »

board na mona man i hope offaly have that 94 bmw serviced for sunday , hate to get rear ended by a honda driver lost in a fog of smoke .
if we can get her tuned up correctly we should get over the line .

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

joe bloggs wrote:This whole cheddar affair really grates me
These issues are better off shredded.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Amid the Cheddar fiasco and the talk of pressure being on or off Laois its easy to forget that this game has huge consequences for Offaly. Win and its into a Leinster semi final against Galway (who seem to fear us and look beatable) or Dublin (who might be a bridge too far but as was shown in 2011 we still feel like it would be a game we'd have a realistic chance in). Defeat and its out of the Leinster championship proper for next year and into the qualifier group and in the process moving a step closer to what some people believe is an inevitable drop into Christy Ring over the next few years. This might not be Kilkenny or Wexford but by God its as big a game as it gets for Offaly hurling in a long time. Looking forward to what should be a fascinating encounter....so much at stake.

TheGreatGame
Junior A

Post by TheGreatGame »

A valid point bracknaghboy, either county lettin' on that the pressure is on the other is like two bald men fighting over a comb. There is big pressure on both sides, for different reasons. I firmly believe that Laois are capable of winning if they perform for the full game, but they haven't come anywhere close to doing that this year so far which is a serious worry.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Being in a qualifier group next (or indeed any) year would have a massive effect on club fixtures. There's be hardly any hope of squeezing in a round of club fixtures in between the end of the league and the start of the round-robin group. That would affect hurling and football too, with some county hurlers playing club football and vice versa.

Anyhoo, we won't dwell on that for now. The weekend is nearly here. Time to show Leix that Offaly hurling hasn't gone a way, you know.
bracknaghboy wrote:Amid the Cheddar fiasco and the talk of pressure being on or off Laois its easy to forget that this game has huge consequences for Offaly. Win and its into a Leinster semi final against Galway (who seem to fear us and look beatable) or Dublin (who might be a bridge too far but as was shown in 2011 we still feel like it would be a game we'd have a realistic chance in). Defeat and its out of the Leinster championship proper for next year and into the qualifier group and in the process moving a step closer to what some people believe is an inevitable drop into Christy Ring over the next few years. This might not be Kilkenny or Wexford but by God its as big a game as it gets for Offaly hurling in a long time. Looking forward to what should be a fascinating encounter....so much at stake.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Massive massive game and as bracknaghboy clearly stated the difference between winning and losing. Some difference! Win and the shackles are off lose and downwards we go. I know the players and management will be well up for this and all the best to all involved, the county is behind you.

Ah Ref
Junior C

Post by Ah Ref »

Well lads,

Not one for writing on forums but I can't see the panic, I have full confidence for the match Sunday and think we'll win by 7 to 10 points, hope I'm not way off on this but I think Carroll and dooley will tear them apart as long as we provide the right ball, our full back line is weak but still think we have too much for laois, let's keep them down and get over and support the faithful on Sunday. :D

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

Any news from the camp in the last few weeks, any injuries, surprise picks or mad tactics? Apart from the match against Tipp when they was different reports on the performance and size of the defeat it seems very quiet from the camp and I suppose the team wont be announced until few hrs before throw in.

I would say there is a few big calls to make for BW, who starts in the corner backs positions, during the league I think there was 5 or 6 players used and is Stephen Egan still in with the panel? Who starts on the left wing , what midfield starts, have we found a ball winning half forward and will the captain make the team?

But apart from team selection what I would love to see in this Offaly team is a work etic, to see the lads fight like dogs for breaking balls, close down the space and pressuriser defenders coming out with the ball and generally hurl as a team. If BW and his selectors get the players playing for one another then I would hold no fear of Laois and of what team we put out on Sunday.

Best of luck lads.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Leix supporters woke this morning to Ah Ref’s post here and have gotten all hot and bothered over it on the Leix page on the Gaaboard.

I think the winner will win by about 8 points. Which team will win depends on the trend of the game. Offaly will win by that margin if they get the start they desire.

Other hand, if the game is tight, Leix could grow in stature as it goes on, and could end the game with a string of points to win by about that margin. Teams who make a breakthrough very often do that.

Much doubt has been expressed regarding Offaly’s full-back line. I must say, I have no such doubts. Once the Offaly defence are organised, get adequate cover from further outfield I expect them to cope with Leix.

No announcement of an Offaly team. They will have had to give the team to the Laois board to send to the printers earlier this week, so I hope Offaly gave them a pack of lies. Shane Dooley wearing 3, Dermot Shortt wearing 14, James Dempsey wearing 11 (he plays there for Kinnitty anyway) for the craic.

Anyway, all the pressure is on Leix. They are at home and they expect that Sunday is the day their Ger Cunningham style game will reach fruition with a win over Offaly. They were going to do that too back in February and matters ended with a chorus of lads roaring at Calvita how to manage the team. Club rivalries being what they are, they won’t wait until the second half on Sunday to express displeasure at the cheesy one if things aren’t going their way.

Still, time to show them Offaly hurling hasn’t gone away.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Ye’ve probably all seen it, and for what it’s worth in this, the era of dummy teams, Leix have announced the following team to be the one to break 42 years of hurt.

Enda Rowland;
John A Delaney, Cahir Healy, Brian Stapleton;
Joe Fitzpatrick, Matthew Whelan, Conor Dunne;
Joe Campion, Patrick Purcell;
Willie Hyland, Zane Keenan, Charlie Dwyer;
Ben Conroy, Tommy Fitzgerald, PJ Scully.

For comparison, here’s how they lined out in February where on Sunday, Conor Dunne replaces Tom Delaney in defence, while Ben Conroy and PJ Scully replace Neil Foyle and Ross King in attack.

Laois lined out as follows: E Rowland; B Stapleton, C Healy, JA Delaney; J Fitzpatrick, M Whelan, T Delaney; P Purcell, J Campion; C Dwyer, W Hyland, Z Keenan; T Fitzgerald, R King, N Foyle.
Subs: S Maher for Foyle, PJ Scully for Campion, D Palmer for Fitzgerald, B Conroy for King

The Offaly team was: J Dempsey; N Wynne, D Shortt, S Egan; E Nolan, C Egan, D Mooney; S Ryan, P Camon; D Currams, S Kinsella, P Murphy; S Dooley, J Bergin, S Quirke.
Subs: C Kiely for Camon, S Cleary for Kinsella, G Mann for Ryan, C Mulrooney for Murphy

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: I think the winner will win by about 8 points.
I'd definitely go along with this. Regardless of all the ducking and diving, this will be one of those games where hindsight will be 20/20 afterwards. If Laois win, then the talk will be about how Plunkett's walk and return act will have galvanised the team, if they don't then the disruption will be seen to have cost them. Personally, I think Offaly can force the agenda and can ensure its the latter. They will be nervous in the early stages and what's more, they're not built to chase a lead - Laois need to stay in touch. There's goals in that Offaly forward line, far more so than their Laois counterparts, and a goal in the first ten minutes, ideally followed by another before half time, will leave Laois feeling very deflated. Moreover, when Laois did win at OCP in the league sixteen months ago, they dominated the tactical battle - I refuse to believe that missing out on your manager for the guts of a week just before the game doesn't leave them a little bit short in this regard.

Equally, if Laois start to smell victory and they get their confidence up, they're capable of sending points over the bar from all angles. Offaly need to make sure this doesn't happen, and I believe they will.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Team for sunday

James Dempsey.
King, Shortt, N Wynne
Parlon, Egan, Camon
Ryan, Nolan
P. Murphy, Currams, Joe Bergin
Shane Dooley, James Mulrooney, Brian Carroll
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Toxicity234 wrote:Team for sunday

James Dempsey.
King, Shortt, N Wynne
Parlon, Egan, Camon
Ryan, Nolan
P. Murphy, Currams, Joe Bergin
Shane Dooley, James Mulrooney, Brian Carroll

i take it Cillian Kiely must have a knock of some sort, hurl very well last week again westmeath in the under 21 game and is worth his place on the first 15.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Best of luck to Offaly on Sunday, good tough game to get us started in the Leinster championship and hopefully we can come out the right side of it with a win and decent performance. Looking forward to the game , focus now on the task ahead and forget all the stuff that has been written or talked about and go out and give it everything, Come on the faithful!!!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Looking forward to this.

Both teams will think they can beat the other and will go out to prove it.

Townman, let's hope Kiely is ready and is at management's disposal to jump off the bench and provide another option/spark.

It was 2012 when we last won a Leinster championship game and in that Wexford game I seem to remember that we were possibly saved by the bell. From there Wexford and Offaly's paths diverged dramatically. This match presents itself as another fork in the road. Winning is contagious. No time like the present to catch the fever.

To management, players and all others involved the very best of luck. We know you'll do all you possibly can to bring home the desired result. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

UIBH FHAILI ABU!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.