Offaly vs Longford, Leinster SFC, Saturday 16/05/2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly vs Longford, Leinster SFC, Saturday 16/05/2015

Post by Bord na Mona man »

True Red wrote:

Certainly three or four of the Offaly players in action were amonst the worst this writer has seen lining out at intercounty level.
I thought this was quite a caustic comment and unnecessary.
You'd have to question how much football they actually watch for that to be the case?

Next week, their article will be "Compulsory seatbelt wearing while driving - When the hell did that happen?"

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

From where I saw it re Niall Smith, (and it is genuinely how I viewed it, regardless of colour jersey), A Longford player was coming out with the ball, Niall took off to make a tackle as the nearest Offaly player, and a Longford player stepped across his path. Smith ploughed into him, could he have avoided him...maybe...was the Longford player trying to obstruct him, Yes. So what's the answer, possibly a third man tackle, but I thought the linesman possibly saw it through peripheral vision and assumed Smith had deliberately taken him out.

I rest my case your honour.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Kennedy shot? When?????

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Just want to say hard luck to the lads.
One of them day that happen when you building a team and thing are going well.
you get yourself in a winning position and take the foot off the gas and let the opposition back into it.

the only way to get over it is to punish whoever you get in the next round. It could be a long summer yet.
“Common sense is not so common.”

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

great bit of history in the article but ffs 3 or 4 of Offaly players were worst players he ever seen! I know we lost but it can go down as one of our better games apart from 20-25 mins in the game . We scored 9 points with the wind Longford scored 11 ! Of all the games last week it was probably the most entertaining . I'd love to know the 4 players he is on about because from what I saw our boys are doing ok , we have a new manager and it will take more than one season to get set up rightly.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

"3 or 4 of the worst player playing Intercounty football"!! Shocking statement to make. Would love to know who he/she is?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
biffinbanner wrote:a well written piece i think.i dont know the author but his ommission isnt dont purposely id say as he doesnt reaaly say anything controversial?
I presume the author is former Lebanese hostage Brian Keenan who spent years or captivity chained to a radiator, or else a member of Bin Laden's aides who was holed up in a cave. Otherwise how could they not have taken stock of Offaly's standing until last Saturday?
Wrong BNM man........the article was written by this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Interesting game on Sunday as Longford have a cut the Dubs. Hard to see anything but a landslide but I'm interested to see Longfords approach here. I was chatting to one of the Offaly lads last week who puts in serious travel to county training and he reckons it so much easier to do when still in the championship with a definite fixture ahead of you. I get the impression that training for an unknown opponent in the qualifiers a number of weeks away still doesn't sit well with our boys. The poor attitude our footballers have to the qualifiers is unhealthy in my opinion and hasn't helped our cause over the last 10 years. We await the draw.

hopper82
Junior A

Post by hopper82 »

Will be interesting to see , I was looking forward to heading to corker this bank holiday Sunday but it wasn't to be :( .

Longford have nothing to loose while there will be a minuscule amount of pressure on the experienced dubs to beat Longford comfortably if they have any plans to be in the running in September .

The gulf in class is massive but if Longford can manage to do what Laois did last year and hit the ground running they will hopefully be able to keep some respectability to the score . Anything under 10 points I think will be considered a result .
I get the impression that training for an unknown opponent in the qualifiers a number of weeks away still doesn't sit well with our boys. The poor attitude our footballers have to the qualifiers is unhealthy in my opinion and hasn't helped our cause over the last 10 years. We await the draw.
I Havant heard much of our crop since the first round defeat probably not a bad thing, anyone know if they have played or scheduled to play any challenge games before the end of June?

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Am I right in presuming that there will be no senior club championship games played until Offaly are out of the All Ireland championship? If so, how crazy is this? Surely it would be better to have lads playing competitive games. Not to mention how unfair it is for club players not to have an opportunity to play championship from April to end of June or July (or maybe even longer!). There are senior league fixtures taking place, are county panelists prevented from lining out in these?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

first_touch wrote:Am I right in presuming that there will be no senior club championship games played until Offaly are out of the All Ireland championship? If so, how crazy is this? Surely it would be better to have lads playing competitive games. Not to mention how unfair it is for club players not to have an opportunity to play championship from April to end of June or July (or maybe even longer!). There are senior league fixtures taking place, are county panelists prevented from lining out in these?
Absolutely spot on. It's hard to believe that a round of championship games was played on the weekend of 10th/12th April, and a scheduled round of games fixed for last weekend was not played. We won't be out in the qualifiers until the 20th June, 3 weeks away.
Of course players would be better off playing games, particularly club players who are not involved on county panels. It's a change from the routine of training. Offaly won't feature in the later stages of the championship, so why not complete the championships, and not have us traipsing to OCP in October annually. It's a farce, and by the way the hurling championship paused on the May bank holiday weekend, 4 weeks ago, a few rounds could have been played this month.
Why don't club delegates insist on playing games in the long interval between championship games and qualifiers. I believe there is a two week delay before championship games which is fair enough, but 4 to 6 weeks no way.
God help us if we reached a Leinster final, or further.
This is a matter I cannot fathom re the long period it takes to complete a championship in a small county.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

weren't we as well out of it after the beating longford got today :(

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Its pretty embarrassing that our footballers could not beat that longford team. Massive problems.

Exiled in Connacht
County player

Post by Exiled in Connacht »

It saddens me to say it but we had a lucky escape.

And please don't anyone post that we would have done better today

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

no we wouldn't have done any better than longford today, go back to the last day longford played offaly off the field for the last 20 minutes, even their best player again offaly Smyth the half back who scored 2 points again us was took off but to be fair as Colm O'Rourke said the likes of longford and offaly are coming from division 4 theirs not a hope in hell would they give the likes of the Dubs a game in croker or anywhere else come championship time. for offaly its staying in division 3 next year should be the aim and work at it over the coming years, i was raging that we lost in tullamore the last day but looking at that today maybe its a blessing that we weren't there, i know they say you only learn playing the best but tell me what did longford learn getting the sh.t kick out of them today.