Tom Furlong R.I.P.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

Tom Furlong R.I.P.

Post by Kevin »

More sad news to report here.

Just read about this.

Condolences to all Furlong family members and the Offaly GAA community in general.

Many of my memories of Offaly games (mostly good) were had at Furlong's Riverside Pub in East Durham, NY. The Furlong's and their staff were great hosts and went out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. They promoted a great GAA environment.

Rest in peace Tom.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Tom Furlong R.I.P.

Post by SearingDrive »

Very sorry to hear about the late Tom Furlong. Sad week for Offaly, with the death of another former Offaly player, Micky Brady RIP.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Very sad to hear of the passing of Tom Furlong. I had not known much about him til I read 'The Furlongs', that excellent book about the four Furlong brothers. He was obviously an extremely talented footballer and, along with his elder brother Mickey, was a great loss to Offaly football when he emigrated to America in 1964. I am convinced if we had not lost four great footballers, Peter Nolan, Paddy Casey and the Furlongs, to emigration we would have won a few All-Irelands in the sixties.

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam dilis.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Rest in Peace, Tom Furlong.

My favourite publican (who played against Tom in the 1961 Offaly Minor Final (mentioned on page 91 of Pat Nolan's The Furlongs)) opined he would have been Offaly's greatest footballer had he stayed at home.

In his book, Pat Nolan ends the chapter on Tom's domestic football career with the words "Soon he was in New York and Offaly had lost quite possibly the best footballer they never really had". That was his potential.

Sincere sympathy to Joan and to the Furlong family.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.