Division 4 league final Offaly v Longford

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Division 4 league final Offaly v Longford

Post by kingscounty »

Eire an auld bus going Saturday lads? I'm heading up with a few boys from Kilkenny who will be cheering us on also . Really looking forward to it hope we get a good crowd going to get behind the lads . Best of luck and enjoy the day !

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Division 4 league final Offaly v Longford

Post by bracknaghboy »

kingscounty wrote: I'm heading up with a few boys from Kilkenny who will be cheering us on also.
Jaysus KC I'd have to see that to believe it! Kilkenny lads cheering us on :o

On a serious note I hope Pat and lads do not get involved in any shadow boxing shenanigans. The teams meet 3 weeks later in the championship but there is silverware on offer Saturday and there's a saying that "Winning breeds confidence and confidence breeds winning" and I'm a firm believer in it. Anyways theres no such thing as a particular game plan anymore in football is there? When you have the ball you handpass it around in circles and when you don't everybody swarms back behind the ball and flail their arms around the attackers. Theres no need to be worrying about opponents seeing your style of play anymore. Lets hope its as open as it can be and its the last we see of division 4 for a long time.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

bracknaghboy wrote:
kingscounty wrote: I'm heading up with a few boys from Kilkenny who will be cheering us on also.

On a serious note I hope Pat and lads do not get involved in any shadow boxing shenanigans. The teams meet 3 weeks later in the championship but there is silverware on offer Saturday and there's a saying that "Winning breeds confidence and confidence breeds winning" and I'm a firm believer in it. Anyways theres no such thing as a particular game plan anymore in football is there? When you have the ball you handpass it around in circles and when you don't everybody swarms back behind the ball and flail their arms around the attackers. Theres no need to be worrying about opponents seeing your style of play anymore. Lets hope its as open as it can be and its the last we see of division 4 for a long time.
I was wondering what way they would take this game , have to agree can't beat that winning feeling and the confidence it gives a team. I think Longford have beaten us in the last 4 games so they definitely have belief that they can beat us any day , so a win Saturday would set us up nicely for round 3 in O Connor park .

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Do any of ye have directions to Croke Park? :?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

kingscounty wrote:
bracknaghboy wrote:

I was wondering what way they would take this game , have to agree can't beat that winning feeling and the confidence it gives a team. I think Longford have beaten us in the last 4 games so they definitely have belief that they can beat us any day , so a win Saturday would set us up nicely for round 3 in O Connor park .
The best thing is to put a whoopin on 'em this weekend so they can think about it for 3 weeks before coming down to a packed O'Connor Park for the next encounter.

Regardless of what happens we earned promotion and will be in a good tough division next year as our prize. This is all good. I don't think Flanagan will rest at that. He is ambitious. Under his watch the players have been fighting back while things look in doubt and winning games that in years past would become heavy losses. It was not a given that we would get out of Division 4 this year. It was not easy by any stretch of the imagination. Results are not everything. Process will lead to progress, but I sense that in addition to process there is a competitive bite in the camp along with a sense of urgency.

Good luck to the boys and all involved this weekend.

Will have Radio 103 close at hand.

UIBH FHAILI ABU !!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

For anyone not able to attend remember that the game is televised on TG4

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

For old time sake, I'll be going on a pub crawl along Dorset Street and will arrive into Croke Park steaming, sunburned and roaring for more drink!

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

Bord na Mona man wrote:For old time sake, I'll be going on a pub crawl along Dorset Street and will arrive into Croke Park steaming, sunburned and roaring for more drink!
Fond memories of the 80's and 90's. The last time I went up to the big smoke for a match I sucked on a tit, pissed and scoured myself and puked over a quare one before I reached the Big Tree.

*** i was only 3 months old at the time

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Fargo Boyle wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:For old time sake, I'll be going on a pub crawl along Dorset Street and will arrive into Croke Park steaming, sunburned and roaring for more drink!
Fond memories of the 80's and 90's. The last time I went up to the big smoke for a match I sucked on a tit, pissed and scoured myself and puked over a quare one before I reached the Big Tree.

*** i was only 3 months old at the time
Old enough to get served, but too young to remember!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Hope it keeps fine. Weather to be crap at weekend.

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

Raging to be missing out on Kavanaghs and the Big Tree but will hopefully frequent them for the Dublin game, all going well. Is the team named? Just havent seen it as of yet.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Well done lads. Played some great football
“Common sense is not so common.”

Anfearban
Junior A

Post by Anfearban »

Well done to all involved with Offaly today. A great way to end the league. Delighted with the promotion and really nice to win the silverware but the biggest pleasure I took from today today was the way Offaly played. Fit, hungry, great teamwork and lovely controlled football. Thanks a million for that lads! Head down for the championship and give it a right rattle. Ye are on the right road. Thanks again to all involved.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Isnt it great at long last that there is a bit of positivity about an Offaly senior team. Thought the lads played very well today and it was a pleasure to be there to see it. As said already the best part about it was the manner of it. The team played with a committment and enthusiasm and a skill level with cohesion we rarely see from a county senior team. After a strong performance from the minors last week against Dublin and again the minor hurlers today v Dublin, things are improving for our county teams. It is long overdue. well done to all concerned!
jimbob

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

While the manner of the football was very good the encouraging thing for me was the mindset and the attitude of the players overall especially after Longford had a bit of a resurgent spell straight after our second goal.

In times gone by the team would have fallen to bits when that kind of pressure was put on them but this team has shown they are not afraid to step up to the plate when the hard questions are asked of them, not just today but right throughout the league.

Their work rate was excellent, their Passing range was good for the most part apart from spells early in the first half when their final third decisions weren't the best but i put that down to early nerves and the finishing by the forwards for the goals were very pleasing to see

I'm delighted for Pat and the players that they have some reward the effort that they have put in throughout the league and i hope this gives them even more motivation to kick on and have a good run at the championships

Well done lads, enjoy tonight you deserve it and lets do the same again in the championships