Tomas O Connor

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Tomas O Connor

Post by Buttons »

http://www.midlandsradio.fm/news/could- ... -to-offaly

Wonder is there any truth in this rumour, he would be good target man at 14, probably just paper talk though.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Re: Tomas O Connor

Post by Truth as i see it »

Buttons wrote:http://www.midlandsradio.fm/news/could- ... -to-offaly

Wonder is there any truth in this rumour, he would be good target man at 14, probably just paper talk though.
If it is true and i doubt that it is, it sounds like a career move to be honest, very much along the lines of that Sean Johnston situation that came up a year or two ago, He sees Kildare are on the way down after the golden years of the Aidan Mcgeeney era and he knows Offaly are a team in form on the way up where he can get some game time and potentially get back to Division 2 or Division 1 Football and he obviously has that connection to the county with his Father, it sounds like a cynical move to me or maybe i'm just getting cynical as i get older i don't know but that's how i read it anyway

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

What is the jist of the sound clip?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Tomás O'Connor

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Tomás' parents and their obvious connection with Offaly, but that wouldn't qualify the lad to transfer. For Tomás to play for Offaly he'd first need to transfer to an Offaly club, in which parish he'd be resident. Even if that could be arranged, he'd need to play a championship match with that Offaly club before he could play wit the county, and there is no round of the SFC scheduled this side of summer

Where does Tomás live currently? What does he do (in other words, is it practical that he could live in Offaly)? Where he lives would naturally be linked with these details.

Different counties have different bye-laws relating to the Parish rule. Below are Offaly's -
(9) PARISH RULE
A Club Catchment Area shall be defined as within the Parish and within the County boundary based on the boundary of the Roman Catholic Parish.
Subject to the Exceptions hereunder, the Parish Rule shall be in force for all grades. Exceptions (In accordance with R. 3.19 (n) T.O. 2014): (Include)
(a) Where there is no under-age team (U-12, U-14, U-16, Minor & U-21) in a Parish, a player in that Parish, may play with an ndependent Team within the County which shall not bear the name of an adult Club within the County.
(b) Where there is no adult football team in a Parish, a player from a hurling Club, in that Parish, may play with a football team, and vice versa, within the County.
Note 1: Applications for Exceptions shall be processed by the County Competitions Control Committee and approved by the County Committee each year. All applications for Exceptions shall be submitted to the Committee, by the relevant club, seven clear days (168 Hours) in advance of the 1st meeting of the County Committee each year for all adult (incl. U-21 grades), and seven clear days (168 Hours) in advance of the February meeting of the County Committee for U-12, U-14, U-16 and minor grades.
Note 2: Exceptions under (a) or (b) above shall only be approved by the County Committee on receipt of an application from a club, on behalf of all eligible players and where the request is for all players at the same grade to play with the same Independent Team/Club.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

What about players like John Coughlan who played for Offaly because of Offaly parents?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Even if he did "declare" for Offaly its hard to see how he'd get a look in on the starting 15. He's a big ball winner ideal for the edge of the square which is a million miles away from the way our boys play these days.

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

While I'd question his motives, I for one would welcome O'Connor with open arms. We have some nice forwards but a bit of size up there is never a bad thing. He's never going to be a prolific scorer but no doubt Niall, Panda and Mulhall would thrive off the dirty ball he'd win. Probably all hot air anyway but would be interesting if it comes to fruition.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

'Tis a million miles from the way everyone plays these days bb (Kildare included). But has he potential as a ball-fetching midfielder?
bracknaghboy wrote:Even if he did "declare" for Offaly its hard to see how he'd get a look in on the starting 15. He's a big ball winner ideal for the edge of the square which is a million miles away from the way our boys play these days.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Watched him in club action recently.

Played midfield............. Was wiped out by a decent club midfielder who scored 4 points (all from play) off him.........

He went FF in last 10. Kicked a point with his team 14 down. Later fouled a defender by pulling his arm after defender collected a Tomas knock-down and ball went loose. In a tight game ref would have blown,,,,,,,,,,,, Corner forward first timed loose ball to the net. Opposition just played a short kick out to his man who carried 60 yards with no chase and goal at other end,,,,,,,,,,,,, He is not inter-county standard................ Oy should stick with the younf lads ,,,,,,,,,,,,