Offaly Hurling Championships 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Offaly Hurling Championships 2015

Post by Toxicity234 »

Senior In Black.
Intermediate in Blue

17.04.15 (Fri)

17.04.15 (Fri)
SHINRONE V KINNITTY
Time: 7 00 PM , Venue: Coolderry GAA Club
Referee: Richie Fitzsimons

17.04.15 (Fri)
BROSNA GALES V KILCORMAC-KILLOUGHEY
Time: 7 00 PM , Venue: Moystown
Referee: Kieran Dooley

17.04.15 (Fri)
NA SEAMRÓGA V BALLINAMERE
Time: 7 00 PM , Venue: O Connor Park, Tullamore
Referee: Noel Flynn

17.04.15 (Fri)
CARRIG RIVERSTOWN V CRINKILL
Time: 7 00 PM , Venue: Birr
Referee: David Mc Loughlin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18.04.15 (Sat)

18.04.15 (Sat)

BIRR V COOLDERRY
Time: 3 00 PM , Venue: Shinrone
Referee: Declan Cooke

18.04.15 (Sat)
BELMONT GAA V SEIR KIERAN
Time: 4 00 PM , Venue: Banagher
Referee: Kieran Pat Kelly

18.04.15 (Sat)
KILCORMAC-KILLOUGHEY V DRUMCULLEN
Time: 5 30 PM , Venue: Banagher
Referee: Brian Gavin

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

19.04.15 (Sun)

19.04.15 (Sun)
ST RYNAGH'S HURLING CLUB V TULLAMORE/AN TULACH MHÓR
Time: 12 00 PM , Venue: Moystown
Referee: TBC

19.04.15 (Sun)
SEIR KIERAN V LUSMAGH GAA
Time: 12 00 PM , Venue: Carraig

19.04.15 (Sun)
CLODIAGH GAELS V BIRR
Time: 12 00 PM , Venue: Kinnitty

19.04.15 (Sun)
BALLYSKENAGH/KILLAVILLA V COOLDERRY
Time: 1 30 PM , Venue: Shinrone

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Hurling Championship.

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

"St Rynagh's v Tullamore is not in Tullamore" shocker.

Rynagh's v Tullamore is now an annual event, them having met in the SHC every year since 2009. And for some reason, each of the six matches between these sides has taken place in Tullamore. The last time they played each other at a 'club' ground was 2006.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

We need to talk about St Rynagh's

A few thoughts on St Rynagh’s, who I think are the biggest stumbling block to Kilcormac-Killoughey’s four in a row hopes.

Rynagh’s carried a decent outsider’s hopes into last October’s County Final. Those title hopes were dashed well before the final whistle; indeed they were in pieces shortly after the start. The post mortem offered little by way of answers. So what did go wrong? And can it be rectified?

I think the answer to the first question is – very little. The starting point towards a solution would be to pick their players in their optimum positions. First, the case for the defence. Conor Clancy will be in goals. Dermot Shortt has grown into the full-back role with the County team this year and should be sited at square’s edge. Niall Wynne and Danny Maloney should be corner-back Rottweilers. Conor Hernon was left out of the side in a defensive reshuffle for the County Final. That made no sense then, and it still doesn’t. He should line out in the half-back line.

Centre half-back is a difficult one. Pat Camon is arguably their classiest hurler and is the prime candidate for 6. Other hand, Aidan Treacy is a better ‘stopper’. Perhaps Treacy at centre with Camon covering from one wing and Hernon on the other?

Simon Lyons’ workrate offers the team more from midfield, with perhaps Joey O’Connor alongside. Moving to the inside forwards, Stephen Quirke (on the right) and Ger Scales will provide the scoring threat close to goals. Scales has pace. Worth pointing out the hurler who caused Ger Healion the most difficulty in recent years was Belmont’s David Cox. Seán Dolan would be a good option at full-forward – smart enough to make space, can stop a full-back from clearing and can pick an odd score. Which leaves the half-forward line, their biggest conundrum. Gary Kelly will start, probably at 12 and is another scoregetter. Garry Conneely is a natural athlete. Hard to know where Stephen Wynne’s best position is, but he made a good fist of centre half-forward on the way to last year’s Final. Somewhere in the half-forward line beckons for the Attinkee man again. Not all forwards have to be consistent scorers. Mattie Maloney is another viable option for the half-forward line; or for midfield.

Something like that anyway. Their attitude the O’Connor Park needs to change too. While their longing to return to Birr is noble, it’s not helping their situation. They should be willing to go to Edenderry if necessary if it means beating Kilcormac and/or winning a County title. Or to Mount Bolus.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

There’s no real stand-out match among this weekend’s Senior pairings, though there are some significant ones.

Shamrocks and Ballinamere meet at Senior grade for the first time since there were red post boxes.

Birr and Coolderry meet for the first time since the 2011 Final.

Belmont v Seir Kieran wouldn’t leap out as the tie of the round. Until you see that when they met last year they drew 2-20 (B) to 4-14 (SK) and when they previously met in 2011 Seir Kieran nicked it 1-21 to 4-11.

Shinrone have made fine progress in the last four years but emigration has dealt them a dreadful hand this year. Derek Morkan was their leader and their inspiration during that time. They have plenty of stylish hurlers coming up, but any team’s leaders are irreplaceable. It's tough on Shinrone.

Is there any particular reason why there are no Senior matches on Saturday evening?

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

plain of the herbs .
i wouldnt agree that st rynagh will be kk biggest stumbling block .
attitude and hunger could be a big problem .
last year i think kk slept walked there way to the county final , and they had that won after 10 minutes .

i think st rynagh coolderry clareen and birr are all real treats to kk this year especially if kk lack a bit of fire in the belly .
birr verse coolderry is the big match this weekend for me .

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

It's that time of the year again.KK are at the top while the rest are chasing.Just a quick bit on how I see things going this year and how I rate the teams.

1. K/K are the team to beat strong all over the field and are so physically strong other teams struggle against this.There only downfall i think will be suprise as I don't think any team in the county has put it up to them for a full 60 mins or is it maybe they just aren't able to put it up to them.

2. St.Rynaghs the most improved team.Fit and have a game plan (even though it fell apart in the final) some great hurlers and steady all over the field.But for me they don't have the forwards. Scales and quirke are lively corner forwards but they won't win a county final on there own.Forde has huge work done but for me they will fall just short.

2. Birr I put them on par with Banagher because of who is over them and what he has done with other teams.The most talented team out off all the club's but it doesn't mean you will win county finals but I think with Paddy Kirwan over them they have the best manager within the county and he might be able to take them a step further.

3. Clareen I really don't know how good they are beat a Birr team that was at noting last year and on paper seem to have alot of weak players but I put them here as I feel the rest haven't much to offer.They have huge work rate and will to win bu they rely on Bergin to much and when the chips are down you can't rely on one person to get you over the line.

4. Coolderry a team for me that has just gone to old.Brady is now in the forwards.They still have some great hurlers in Carroll,K Brady and Parlon and with them will cause trouble to most teams but I count 11 of there 17/18 players they use the wrong side of 30.

5. Belmont have to make the jump to a higher level sooner rather than later.Still probably short 3 or 4 lads who would give them more of a steady look about them.

6. Shinrone without Morkan are in huge trouble.Quater final last year he was man of the match,too many young players and not enough leaders.

7. Tullamore could cos a few upsets but probably playing second fiddle to football.

8. Ballinamere huge year last year out of them.More improvement to come?

9. Kinnity struggled last year but can be hard to beat.They just don't have any huge talent coming through either.

10. Shamrocks are they happy enough to be intermediate champions hard to know what way they could go.

11.Brosna Gaels I think they will go down this year between them and shamrocks.

Let the games begin!!!!!

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

good post greenairfield
i think birr have more tallent that st rynagh clareen or coolderry .p cleary should be centre back and d hayden and r hannify could express themselves more around midfield and build the team around them .
i think kk have the talent to win 4 in a row if the have the hunger .

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Taken from Hoganstand:

Kilcormac/Killoughey begin their quest for a four-in-a-row of Offaly SHC titles tonight without two of their leading lights.

Free-taker Ciaran Slevin (honeymoon) and Conor Mahon (foot injury) will miss the championship opener against Brosna Gaels in Moystown. The double Ks are also set to be without Mahon for most of the summer as he plans to spend two months in Australia, while the Geraghty twins, Thomas and Peter, and Dylan Murray are also heading to the US for the summer.

Despite the absence of Slevin and Mahon, Danny Owens’ charges will be expected to open the defence of the Sean Robbins Cup with a victory over their north Offaly opponents.

The tie of the first round is the meeting of former kingpins Birr and Coolderry in Shinrone tomorrow afternoon.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

A good post by greenairfield and I agree with most of his/her* assessments.

Coolderry have the same fifteen as they had three years ago, and will likely have the same team three years from now. Which doesn't bode well for them.

With Thomas Spain gone abroad and Dan Kelleher on Army duty, Brosna Gaels will struggle. I think their Senior clock might be ticking.

Kinnitty v Shinrone is a key game for both sides. The winners are likely quarter-finalists, the losers have ground to make up. Shinrone edged it last year, maybe the pendulum has swung.

*Can't be too careful nowadays!

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2015

Post by Buttons »

Ballinamere 1-17 Shamrocks 0-17

Going into O Connor Park i was told i had to buy a ticket so had to walk back and buy a ticket before i entered the turnstile, purchased my 50c programme to find out that none of the Shamrocks team lined out as per programme, Ballinamere did the exception of Paddy Thornton wearing number 25 and starting.

Ballinamere started the better and went into a 1-1 to 0-2 lead, the goal coming from a Paddy Murphy free which the Shamrocks keeper can blame the sunset. Despite Ballinamere playing better Shamrocks went into a 1-4 to 0-9 lead with most scores coming from frees. Ballinamere scored the last two points before half time to trail 1-7 to 0-12. The second half was all Ballinamere and with 10 minutes left were ahead 1-15 to 0-14, shamrocks battled back leaving a goal between them when the final whistle blew.

The scorers for Ballinamere were P Murphy 1-9 (0-7 f) S Weir 0-2, P McDermott 0-2, D Wyer 0-1, J Maher 0-1, S Spollen 0-1, M Murphy 0-1??

Ballinamere deserved the victory, they were out of it in the centre for a long time, Paddy Murphy was a man one show, backs did well. Shamocks are going to struggle to retain their senior status this year.

Ballinamere team, McLoughlin, Gillespie, Magner, Minnock, Fogarty, Spollen, McDermott, Thornton, Wyer, P Murphy, M Murphy, Kinnarney, Maher, Weir, O Brien
Subs used K Mealiff

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Ballinamere 1-17 Shamrocks 0-17

This was a scraggy one, but yet an engaging one for all the scragginess.

In any other county, a team who had a management upheaval a week before championship’s first round would be no-hopers. But this is Offaly, where logic means nothing, and where there was always a chance of an upset and where the team with the settled build-up were vulnerable if not mentally tuned in.

For 42 minutes it seemed likely Shamrocks would win this derby. Both sides’ first touch was poor, resulting in alot of fumbles, many turnovers and scrums. Shamrocks had discovered a rhythm and though rocked by the concession of an early goal, recovered well and being better fielders made the most of any clean possession they won. The goal a fortuitous one, a long range free dropped in, hurls clashed and the ball spun to the net. However, Shamrocks’ possession ensured they won several attacking frees too and Trevor Darcy was unerring from placed balls (0-7, 0-6f, 0-1 ’65 during the first half) and the Rahan side led 0-12 to 1-7 at half-time.

Ballinamere did better after the restart, and though Darcy was wide and short from a few placed balls, the gap had narrowed to 0-14 to 1-10 by the 42nd minute. Balanced on a knife edge. Then the game’s turning point: Darcy pulled up with what looked like a hamstring injury, Shamrocks’ belief left them, Ballinamere began to run at them and Shamrocks’ late hits led to frees which Murphy pointed.

I wasn’t impressed with the Ballinamere attack, where Paddy Murphy was left to plough a lone furrow. Gerry Spollen and Phil McDermott excelled in defence, David Magner was always on top at full-back while Kieran McLoughlin was assured in goals. For Shamrocks, Cathal O’Brien and David O’Toole caught the eye in defence, while Johnny O’Toole fielded some fine ball in attack.

I made Shamrocks’scorers: Trevor Darcy 0-9 (0-7f, 0-2 ’65), Brian Kearney (0-3, 1f), Ciarán Buckley (0-2f), Glenn Mooney (0-2), Johnny O’Toole (0-1).

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Both teams touches were very poor considering the dry conditions, the amount of times the ball rolled past players going for a ball only for a sweeper to clean up was too much for senior hurling, Shamrocks had a great goal chance with about 5 to go before half time i think only for Kieran McLoughlin to block it, that would have put them 6 up.

Shamrocks won a lot of breaking balls when they went through their good spell probably from the 10-25th minute.It was a game of too many points coming from frees (late teens) I was looking through the fixtures and Ballinamere have St Rynaghs and Seir Kieran next so needed a victory against Shamrocks before they play Tullamore and Belmont at end.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Seir Kieran 1-17 Belmont 1-13

Rarely it happens in hurling, but Clareen v Belmont was actually a boring match. That’s despite the obvious contrast in hurling styles that should have made it interesting, should have given both sides the opportunities to exploit weaknesses of the other, but didn’t.

Both sides struggled to hit the target when hurling into the Cuba Avenue end, when they were wind assisted. That was Belmont in the first half. They had fallen 0-7 to 0-3 in arrears when Oisín Kelly pinged a lovely centre for Alan Egan to collect and goal. That was quickly followed by a James Mulrooney goal at the other end to restore the Clareen advantage.

A two point gap at half-time (SK 1-7 Belmont 1-5) it was score-for-score throughout the second half. Belmont showing flashes of teamwork that might have opened up the opposing defence, Clareen countering with individual flashes of brilliance from Joseph Bergin and Tom Carroll.

Late in the game Darragh Corbett burst in along the end line but drove to the side-net when his side were three points in arrears, and Clareen finished on the attack and with time up, a botched short puckout gave James Mulrooney the chance to put Clareen four points ahead.

Final score was Clareen 1-17 Belmont 1-13, a score I confirmed with referee Kieran Pat Kelly, as some Tweets are incorrectly giving it 1-16 to 1-13.

Scorers: Seir Kieran: Joseph Bergin (0-11, 0-7 frees), James Mulrooney (1-1), Tom Carroll (0-2),Stephen Hynes, Brian Dunne & Barry Bergin (0-1 each).
Belmont: Leon Fox (0-7, 0-6 frees), Alan Egan (1-0), Damien Egan (0-2), Mark Egan (0-1, free), Oisín Kelly (0-1), Ciarán Kenny (0-1), Darragh Corbett (0-1).

IHC Drumcullen 2-19 Kilcormac-Killoughey 1-9

I was fierce impressed with Drumcullen here. As everyone knows, I have been critical of this club’s traditional physical approach. On Saturday they were a joy to watch. The team was picked well. Shane Molloy did the heavy lifting down the centre, but flank forwards Conor Gath (10), John Murray (12), Pauric Guinan (13) & Colm Gath (15) all had pace, style and worked hard. Conor Gath ended the hour with 0-12 scored (two from play, the remainder from placed balls).

Chances are Kilcormac-Killoughey Seniors haven’t much work done, and by extension their Intermediates (being the Senior subs) haven’t much done either. Whatever, they had no answer to Drumcullen’s pace. Dónal Guinan was solid at full-back, Dermot Gath took control at centre-back, Damien Spain lorded midfield. The result was beyond doubt when Drumcullen led 2-13 to 0-2 at half-time (no problems shooting into the Cuba Avenue end for them) , Pauric Guinan scoring the first goal from 40 metres, Colm Gath the other very soon after.

Scorers: Drumcullen: Conor Gath (0-12, 0-8 frees, 0-2 ‘65s), Colm Gath (1-1), Pauric Guinan (1-1), Damien Spain (0-2), Danny Maher (0-1), John Murray (0-1) and I think I missed one!

Kilcormac-Killoughey: Trevor Fletcher (1-5, 1-4 frees), Colm Cassidy (0-1, free), James Kilmartin, Jordan Quinn & Mark Leonard (0-1 each).

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Out of interest is anyone going to Clodiagh Gaels and Birr in Kinnitty at 12? On that note i wish the lads all the best vs Birr in the intermediate at 12 and the junior A lads vs Drumcullen at 6pm in Killeigh this evening.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

The ryn agh vs tullamore game is in moystown.
“Common sense is not so common.”