League Quarter-Final Offaly Vs Tipperary, 29 March 3pm

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

League Quarter-Final Offaly Vs Tipperary, 29 March 3pm

Post by Toxicity234 »

I just wanted to put it up.
This time last year we were heading for a Relegation Play-Off.
This year Heading to test ourselves against one of the best in the county.

Sunday is a day we really have nothing to lose. Let hope we have a real go at Tipperary.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Re: Hurling League Quarter-Final Offaly Vs Tipperary, 29 Mar

Post by townman »

good to see after all the shit Sid has took over the past 18 months iam sure it will start again after the tipp game, they score 2-28 yesterday and some on the cork forum seem to think that their backs done ok, there will be a meltdown here if tipp do.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Jesus townman.

Ok. I won't let it pass.
Whelehan and his management team made very bad desicion last year. That cost is games and players and put Offaly hurling back a long way. Why did he make them desicion? Because he was not ready to manage an inter county team.

This year his team set up is much better. But them again it would have been hard to be worst than last year.

His handling of the media has improved.
He taking some responsibility for the team this year. Where last year it was everyone fault but his.
He not shout abuse at player this year. Thank god.

Let me state this once and for all for you " if Brian Whelehan got criticism or as you call it shit (not abuse) last year he deserves it. He was the poorest manager at inter county level I've ever seen. And you can add his whole management team into that and that after they spend all last year tell ever hurler in the county they weren't any good. It is a true indictment of just how good Offaly hurling is at the moment that they have bounced back and that without what I consider some of the best hurler in the county

If he get praised this year. He deserves it was well. He has improve as a manager over the last year but we are in almost the same position we were when Baker left now. It been a year of getting back to a ok level.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Tipp as the form team team will probably win the League at their ease & we are only a minor irritation on their serene progress.

Having to play on a football field in Tellamore wont suit their pure hurlers but sure they'll put up with out lack of a proper HURLING SOD for one day.

If we can hold them to less than a 30 point margin it will be a good day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now I need help with a bit of old info.................

When we won t NL who did we beat in the Semi & Final ??

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

It was Wexford we beat in the final.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

rocket57
County player

Post by rocket57 »

Are we going back to the old bitching about O Connor park verses the home of hurling in Birr or the south the pitch is as good as any of the best pitches in the country. That's why the GAA have played many U21 all Ireland hurling finals their,it's more in our intrest to go and support the players against Tipp

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ryot,

Beat Waterford in extra time in a Thurles quarter-final on the day Joachim made his comeback following his cruciate injury.
Beat Tipperary in the semi-final in Limerick on a wet day. Michael Duignan scoring the clinching goal in a tight game. Tipperary went on to win the All-Ireland later that year.
Won the league with a win over Wexford in Croke Park. Wexfordhad beaten Kilkenny in a replayed semi-final. Then feckt it all when losing to Dublin in Leinster's first round.
ryot wrote:Now I need help with a bit of old info.................

Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

ryot wrote:
Now I need help with a bit of old info.................

dats old info for sure :lol:

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Regardless of what happens, progress has been made during this league champaign compared to last year.

Some positives: If Allstar nominations were being given out in the morning Dempsey and Dooley would most definitely be on the list and I'd reckon Dempsey would be short odds to get an Allstar. The team looks fitter and team selection has been more consistent. I'd have been a big critic of the current management but in fairness to them they seem to be working on their previous failings quite well and that's a good positive. Good to see C. McDonald getting a run, I think he's a very decent player to have. Shortt has made full back his own and fair play to him. 3 wins out of 5 is not too bad, all 3 wins away from home!! Back to Birr quick!!! :D

Negatives: Too dependent on Dooley for scores, need bigger contribution from Bergin, Currams and Carroll. Still weak enough around middle.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

townman wrote:good to see after all the shit Sid has took over the past 18 months iam sure it will start again after the tipp game, they score 2-28 yesterday and some on the cork forum seem to think that their backs done ok, there will be a meltdown here if tipp do.
I don't agree with any meltdown predictions.

People here generally know what we are dealing with and where we are coming from.

Call me delusional, but I'm expecting us to give Tipp a good game. Although a different kettle of fish, we raised our game for Limerick - why not again? No need to prepare for the possible reaction to getting skinned alive before the throw in.

Its why we play afterall.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

[quote="Toxicity234"]Jesus townman.

Ok. I won't let it pass.
Whelehan and his management team made very bad desicion last year. That cost is games and players and put Offaly hurling back a long way. Why did he make them desicion? Because he was not ready to manage an inter county team.

This year his team set up is much better. But them again it would have been hard to be worst than last year.

His handling of the media has improved.
He taking some responsibility for the team this year. Where last year it was everyone fault but his.
He not shout abuse at player this year. Thank god.

Let me state this once and for all for you " if Brian Whelehan got criticism or as you call it shit (not abuse) last year he deserves it. He was the poorest manager at inter county level I've ever seen. And you can add his whole management team into that and that after they spend all last year tell ever hurler in the county they weren't any good. It is a true indictment of just how good Offaly hurling is at the moment that they have bounced back and that without what I consider some of the best hurler in the county

If he get praised this year. He deserves it was well. He has improve as a manager over the last year but we are in almost the same position we were when Baker left now. It been a year of getting back to a ok level.[/quote

jesus don't go back over we lost great hurlers over Whelehan :oops: where and who are theses great hurlers. what people have to remember look at the hand Sid has to play with, some on here wanted the kilcormac/killoughey 15 to play for offaly, as for Baker don't think he got offaly this far in the league. yes last year was year to forget but we did have to play the two best teams in the country over the last 8 years, we did beat Antrim up in Antrim in the championship,

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Ryot,

Beat Waterford in extra time in a Thurles quarter-final on the day Joachim made his comeback following his cruciate injury.
Beat Tipperary in the semi-final in Limerick on a wet day. Michael Duignan scoring the clinching goal in a tight game. Tipperary went on to win the All-Ireland later that year.
Won the league with a win over Wexford in Croke Park. Wexfordhad beaten Kilkenny in a replayed semi-final. Then feckt it all when losing to Dublin in Leinster's first round.
ryot wrote:Now I need help with a bit of old info.................

[/quote

don't forget big Daithi Regans two goals in the final again wexford

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

townman
Dont get carried away we have beaten antrim in a game that didnt matter and we beat laois and limerick both with 14 men but wexford and waterford were much better than us .
townman to be fair to tox he said last year that s egan should be corner back d shortt e murphy should al;so be in the defence and u kept saying the were only club hurlers .
tox never said that all 15 kk lads should make the team , he made the point that g healion b leonard k grogan d kilmartain p geraghty from kk and d kelliher c doughan d morkam and s coughlan are better hurlers that some of the guys on the panel .
Townman u need to get over ur problem with kk because there here to stay after winning 3 in a row at senior and winning 3 of the last 4 minors they will be a force in offaly hurling for some time yet .
Sid seems to learnt that the sweeper system was a failure and that s dooley is a corner forward and d currams is a full forward but it has took him a year . B cody job is safe .
i fear for us on sunday

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

townman wrote: jesus don't go back over we lost great hurlers over Whelehan :oops: where and who are theses great hurlers. what people have to remember look at the hand Sid has to play with, some on here wanted the kilcormac/killoughey 15 to play for offaly, as for Baker don't think he got offaly this far in the league. yes last year was year to forget but we did have to play the two best teams in the country over the last 8 years, we did beat Antrim up in Antrim in the championship,
Why did i say we lost great hurler in my comment?? We Lost some of the Best Hurler in the County.
Nobody want us to play 15 Kilcormac Killoughey Lads(now who talking shit).

There was no Quarter final in the League when Baker was in charge. If there was we would have made the Quarter final Both Years.
We Played Kilkenny the year before and weren't hammered. The year before we played Clare(all ireland Champion), Dublin(Lenister Champion) and Limerick(Munster Champion) over the years under baker and we ran them all close.

All the players that are playing this year apart from two were available last year. Whelehan Build a team and a plan(and stuck with it) that took us backwards.

this year he has improved thank god.

Your complete and utter dislike for Kilcormac Killoughey is disappointing from an Offaly man but it doesn't surprise me as you treated Coolderry the same when they were beating Birr.

Now back to the match. Had a look back at the All Ireland final replay last night. Kilkenny did a ok job in taking out the Tipperary Half Back line we need to do the same to give ourselves a chance to win on Sunday.

Well done to Sean Ryan on getting on the Hoganstand Team of week. I'm Hoping to see him there again next with a few more Offaly Lads.

timber
All Star

Re: League Quarter-Final Offaly Vs Tipperary, 29 March 3pm

Post by timber »

Townman is taking a fair few slaps and Fifitrixibelle hasnt even started yet. God help Townman Sunday evening or Monday morning when it really starts.

Please dont start the anti OCP crap again. Its a top class facility and Birr is not fit for hosting these games. Get over it and move on.

As for the game, well, Tipp are flying it. They are favourites for the All Ireland with the cats down so many players this year. I think it will be a big challenge for Offaly to be competitive but this is where they need to be. Tipp are a long way down the road in the development of this team and probably under alot of pressure that they must win the All Ireland this year. Offaly are showing alot more guts in their performances and that has to be admired. I hope they go and really give it a crack against tipp and have a performance that they can look back on as a massive improvement.

Some say the backline has tightened up. Id worry that we are leaking 19 scores to Antrim and 21 to a Limerick team with 14 men for most the game. Not necessarily the backline's fault only but the forwards have to tackle more aggresively at this level and midfield have to work extremely hard too.

Good luck to the lads, and give it a good rattle.