Offaly GAA is in Some State

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Kevin wrote:We'll unleash the Jersey Shore on ya.

The Boss and Bon Jovi to play O'Connor Park together or on separate nights.

After the show, Southside Johnny in a small hall/big bar (or warm up for the big show).

Nerds in a medium sized bar (and or warm up for Southside).

Norman Seldin and friends in a Piano Bar.

Plenty of other acts around.

Let me know what else you may need.
Springsteen rocks O'Connor Park. Mick McDonagh stands at the back of the stage in his Offaly jersey!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

kingscounty wrote:How about the Mount Bolus Ceili band as a warm up act to the Joyce Country Ceili band who in turn are a warm up act to the Kilfenora Ceili Band , some head banging at a concert like that !! :D
Then the row starts. Big concerts should be held in Birr, the home of music. People there understand music in a way others from the rest of the county simply couldn't.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

lets stick to the important stuff.

It's now over 5 months since the so called open forum to "restore Offaly hurling to its place among the top hurling counties"

It's hilarious to see the same posters writing the same shite year in year out about Offaly's performances in the national league. and it was even more hilarious this week listening to the discussion on the radio. Do us a favour and the next time you get an opportunity on the air waves and speak about something productive and that will actually benefit Offaly hurling.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3lBDpmGM3I)

I have heard the names that they are talking about taking over the new roles and it's a disgrace the same clicks existing in Offaly hurling.
No transparency and no opportunity for good people to get involved and steer Offaly in the right direction.

Offaly hurling will continue to decline with the same miss management and lack of leadership at county board level that has taken place over the past 10 years.

" Does anybody care anymore?

Five months on from the meeting in Birr and what has been achieved?
(3 coaching sessions by Martin Fogarty apart)

where is our blue print on going forward?
where is our strategic plan?
Who is going to implement this plan?
Is there going to be transparency and interviews for positions?
Where is Offaly's pathway to success?
What resources are been put in place to achieve success?
Where is the player developmental programmes?
Where is the coach developmental plan?
Where is the plan to get Offaly schools winning senior colleges All-Irelands?
Where is the support for clubs?
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

Even a dual county like Offaly can neglect its hurling and coaching tradition, with Butler finding them the county that calls least.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ ... 18391.html

Paudie Butler lavishes praise on every hurling county in terms of their recent underage effort...except Offaly.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Turenne wrote:
Even a dual county like Offaly can neglect its hurling and coaching tradition, with Butler finding them the county that calls least.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ ... 18391.html

Paudie Butler lavishes praise on every hurling county in terms of their recent underage effort...except Offaly.
Great article, thanks for posting the link. It's inexcusable that Offaly is the county that shows the least demand for outside coaching expertise. I love Paudie's use of the phrase 'honouring the game'. In Offaly we are not just dishonouring the game but also the young hurlers that have so much potential but need the best coaching expertise available to be able to compete at the highest level.

I agree totally with his views on betting. It's a growing cancer in the game. It should be kept where it belongs...to the horses and the dogs!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Sure why would we need to ask the likes of Butler in? Outsiders like him would only be trying to teach us to catch and handpass the ball and other new fangled gimmicks that will never catch on!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Notwithstanding the Senior hurlers’ shock win down in Limerick, this has been a bad weekend for Offaly hurling. Again.

Paudie Butler’s quote saw to that. Thanks to Turenne for posting that. I wouldn’t have spotted it otherwise. Mental picture of the County Board sitting around waiting for Paudie Butler to cease his work and for hurling to revert to the times when you bate the ball away to the opposition and the opposition bate it back to you ten seconds later. Not gonna happen. Thankfully. Hurling people are more cerebral than that.

The Minors were wasting their time playing Wicklow. Great preparation for a Leinster Championship first round against Carlow. Can they not go on the challenge match circuit against the Munster teams?

The attitude of the board to Radio 3 took the absolute biscuit. Basically, the Board didn’t tweet any updates from last weekend’s NHL match v Waterford, instead retweeting the Waterford Board’s updates. By the Board’s own admission, it was too much trouble. Radio3’s twitter account responded to said admission that if this was their method for using social media, they were probably doing it wrong.

Fast forward to half-time in Saturday night’s NHL match v Limerick. The Offaly GAA Account addressed a tweet to Radio3, opining that their signal kept breaking down and that if this was how they were doing things, they were probably doing it wrong. Being otherwise engaged I wasn’t listening to Radio3’s commentary, either online or on radio, but it later emerged that their signal wasn’t breaking down at all. Now, many supporters appreciate and value Radio3’s coverage of GAA. In fairness to them , they are (I think) the only radio station to cover three counties, there is a difficult balance to strike and I think they generally do it well. They also cover plenty of other sports, Junior soccer, Senior and provincial rugby, Mullingar dogs, Portlaoise basketball, local cricket, horse racing and much more.

Now, the tweet was quickly taken down, which is an admission it was misguided. But it is yet another example of what’s going on at O’Connor Park.

While on the subject of PR issues, championship draws made last Tuesday still have not been posted on the Offalygaa site, despite that section reading “will be published when draws are made”. And reports of Offaly matches only appear when Offaly win. Draw your own conclusions.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Now, many supporters appreciate and value Radio3’s coverage of GAA. In fairness to them , they are (I think) the only radio station to cover three counties, there is a difficult balance to strike and I think they generally do it well. They also cover plenty of other sports, Junior soccer, Senior and provincial rugby, Mullingar dogs, Portlaoise basketball, local cricket, horse racing and much more.
They aren't the only radio station that attempts to cover that number of counties, but they are the only ones to do it properly. Ask anyone in Leitrim about Shannonside radio and you'll quickly be informed about how it's far from the norm for a radio station to be able so cover three territories properly.

It's to the immense credit of Will O'Callaghan that I knew the man for a good while before I knew where he was actually from - such was his depth of knowledge and interest in all three counties. Genuinely, we're blessed to have him.

On the general points raised, I note that we're in group three of the minor league, and that Kerry have dished out similarly big beatings to Wicklow and Meath - so I'm guessing that the next game might not be a foregone conclusion to the same extent. Also, Westmeath, Carlow, Wexford and Dublin are all taking part as well, but are in different groups. If we're in this group on account of seeding that's one thing, but it may just be the draw, which is hardly something that people can be blamed for.

The social media aspect is of course unforgivable. Even if Midlands 103's service was poor, it would be ill-advised to take shots at them, while to do so in the situation that existed simply defied belief. You'd like to think that both a public and private apology would be forthcoming, but there's no sign of the former anyway. This is all happening in an environment where the only promotion of our games is in the local media. The county board website has had two pieces of news up on it in the last ten days, while games like minors hurlers playing at home, the county under-21 football final, and a round of county under-21 hurling quarter finals all went without mention or preview.

As for the Paudie Butler comment, well that's just the latest in a long line of anecdotes that makes me despair.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Paudie Bulter has a chip on his shoulders going back to his time over laois, remember the night in tullamore when the game was put back as the laois crowd could get in :lol: were all gone at half time and that night Sid and Rory Hanniffy didn't hurl, it was also the year a few weeks before that laois beat offaly in Birr in the league Paudie was crowing for weeks after it, and said he would enjoy the bottle of wine that Antrim sent down to him as laois win in that league game kept Antrim up.

that hammering of laois that saturday night and the look on paudies face was one of the best wins i ever had the joy to watch, he seems to be cutting at offaly at every chance and the way we go about things, and how far we are gone behind laois, i wonder what he thought about the result in portlaoise a few weeks back :roll:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

As long as there are morons like you with that eejity attitude, Offaly hurling will continue to deteriorate.

Paudie Butler has done hurling some service (t paraphrase Othello), and long may Paudie, and his valuable work, continue.

But you keep on making an eejit of yourself every time you log on. 'Tis great crack.
townman wrote:Paudie Bulter has a chip on his shoulders going back to his time over laois, remember the night in tullamore when the game was put back as the laois crowd could get in :lol: were all gone at half time and that night Sid and Rory Hanniffy didn't hurl, it was also the year a few weeks before that laois beat offaly in Birr in the league Paudie was crowing for weeks after it, and said he would enjoy the bottle of wine that Antrim sent down to him as laois win in that league game kept Antrim up.

that hammering of laois that saturday night and the look on paudies face was one of the best wins i ever had the joy to watch, he seems to be cutting at offaly at every chance and the way we go about things, and how far we are gone behind laois, i wonder what he thought about the result in portlaoise a few weeks back :roll:
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Tell me so Herbs what has Paudie Bulter done, what teams did he train to win all irelands and leinsters
write up here so if you think his the new Cody its you whos the gobshit

Anfearban
Junior A

Post by Anfearban »

I have been at a few of Paudie Butlers coaching sessions and presentations. Anyone who doubts the man should go along to some of them. In Clare he has really inspired several of their full time coaches (check out Peter Casey on twitter for a flavour) going around the schools and clubs with the main emphasis on getting as many kids as possible playing, improving the coaching skills of club coaches and teachers and passing on the fundamentals of coaching so to keep both coaches and kids involved, enjoying their sport and doing the basics right. It may not win an Ireland today or tomorrow but it may well do in 10 years time. BTW I believe he coached 3 minor Tipp teams to Munsters. Could be wrong but he is a joy to listen too. He accepts that he has made every mistake there is to make in coaching but the man is on the right track about how sport should be coached and played and is evangelical in promoting it. IMHO Offaly should be begging the man to get involved.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Anfearban wrote:I have been at a few of Paudie Butlers coaching sessions and presentations. Anyone who doubts the man should go along to some of them. In Clare he has really inspired several of their full time coaches (check out Peter Casey on twitter for a flavour) going around the schools and clubs with the main emphasis on getting as many kids as possible playing, improving the coaching skills of club coaches and teachers and passing on the fundamentals of coaching so to keep both coaches and kids involved, enjoying their sport and doing the basics right. It may not win an Ireland today or tomorrow but it may well do in 10 years time. BTW I believe he coached 3 minor Tipp teams to Munsters. Could be wrong but he is a joy to listen too. He accepts that he has made every mistake there is to make in coaching but the man is on the right track about how sport should be coached and played and is evangelical in promoting it. IMHO Offaly should be begging the man to get involved.
That tallies with what a lot of people say. Paudie's training sessions are supposed to be very well run and players and coaches get a lot out of them. From what I've seen they have good drills which are very imaginative, fast paced and most of all enjoyable. His enthusiasm is huge and he really is a hurling evangelist.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

townman wrote:Paudie Bulter has a chip on his shoulders going back to his time over laois, remember the night in tullamore when the game was put back as the laois crowd could get in :lol: were all gone at half time and that night Sid and Rory Hanniffy didn't hurl, it was also the year a few weeks before that laois beat offaly in Birr in the league Paudie was crowing for weeks after it, and said he would enjoy the bottle of wine that Antrim sent down to him as laois win in that league game kept Antrim up.

If Offaly were actually on a run of success, God help us all with the crowing you'd be doing! Judging by how the occasional Offaly win has you haunting various internet forums trying to rub it in.
Even worse, you want to believe that those who lose to Offaly will carry a grudge for life over it.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Townman you are really making an ass of yourself with such comments. I don't know if you read the interview but Paudie's enthusiasm for and love of hurling shone through. He was not having a go at Offaly. I'd imagine it was more a case of regret on his part about our county board's failure to make use of the best coaching methods available.