Limerick Vs Offaly 14 March 2015.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Limerick Vs Offaly 14 March 2015.

Post by bracknaghboy »

Things are far from how I'd like to see them but the first 20 mins against Waterford and last nights result suggest that all is not lost. Finally Eanna Murphy is getting game time to show why he should have been starting for the last 4 years. Shane Dooley is like a man reborn and long may it continue because in this form he'd have get onto any county team in the country. Shortt has nailed down the full back slot and credit to BW and co recognising that he was the job.Next weeks game in Antrim is meaningless in terms of the points but hugely important for our lads that they go up and keep the momentum going and get ready to give Cork or Tipp a rattle in a few weeks time. Antrim no doubt will be playing silly games but Offaly need to up and dismiss them.
Theres plenty wrong also but not everything is going to get fixed so I'll keep this a 'glass half full' post....after all we had have had 2 huge wins this weekend so fair play to both panels.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Am I correct in saying that regardless of the result v Antrim we're definitely into a league q/f? A big game like that is badly needed for this group before the championship, fair play to all involved last night massive result and great confidence builder. Onwards and upwards.

Aside note: Disgraceful carry on by whoever looks after the Offaly GAA twitter account.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Great to get a boost like this and some good news for a change. At least Offaly were able to take advantage of the extra man. 3 years ago when faced with a similar scenario against Klare, Offaly couldn't close the deal.
Two league wins away from home under Saturday night floodlights!

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Diff Pts
Waterford.....+57 7
Wexford......+21 6
Limerick.......+6 5
Offaly..........-9 4
Laois ...........-30 2
Antrim..........-45 0

Makes for nice read after the weekend.
Quarter final place in the bag vs Cork or Tipp .
“Common sense is not so common.”

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Two league wins away from home under Saturday night floodlights!

Looks like Offaly would have been challenging for promotion to Division 1A if we could have played Wexford and Waterford (both failed to defeat Limerick) in Birr on Saturday nights under lights. Developing O'Connor Park was no help to our Hurlers Home Games Record. Surely Birr could easily have held the attendances that attended the Wexford and Waterford games and the surface in Birr Pitch would have been much better that O'Connor Park which was virtually unplayable for the Wexford game. Real Home Support DOES MATTER.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

I'd say Antrim are sick, looking at the hammering that they received from Waterford I would say that they expected us to lose in Limerick and have everything riding on the last game so they sent down a shadow squad to Waterford, or am I being cynical??

Incidentally, if this had worked out would it have gone on score difference with us Laois and Antrim finishing on 3 points?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Question on the sending off in the Limerick game...

I hear the moaning now out of the Limerick camp regarding this. its fair to guess that it had an impact on the game.

I've seen in a number of occasions stuff that happens in the first few minutes of a game where the player should be handed a lawyer's business card along with their red card (usually it is yellow early on - if anything at all).

Just wondering, did anyone get a look at what happened?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

[quote="Kevin"]Question on the sending off in the Limerick game...

I hear the moaning now out of the Limerick camp regarding this. its fair to guess that it had an impact on the game.

I've seen in a number of occasions stuff that happens in the first few minutes of a game where the player should be handed a lawyer's business card along with their red card (usually it is yellow early on - if anything at all).

what was Limericks excuse for last years draw in tullamore or the year before in Limerick, if they had won they would be a great side sour grapes on their side, great win by offaly.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Jayz, could have been excommunicated, meant 2 points each of course

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I don't think you're being cynical. Whatever the reason for the change in attitude, changes to the Antrim lineout were minimal between the Laois and Antrim games. Looks like they 'phoned it in', as Lone Shark would say. Here's how they lined out for those games -

ANTRIM v Waterford: C O’Connell; R McCambridge, N McAuley, A Graffin; S McCrory, C McKinley, M Bradley; N McManus, Ciaran Johnson; N McKenna, T McCann, P Shiels; PJ O’Connell, S McNaughton, C Clarke.
Subs: M Donnelly for Clarke (23); Conor Johnson for McKenna (23); E Campbell for T McCann (H-T); C McCann for McManus (H-T); T O Ciarain for McNaughton (47).

ANTRIM v Laois: R McGarry; R McCambridge, N McAuley, A Graffin; S McCrory, C McKinley, M Bradley; N McManus, Ciaran Johnston; E Campbell, D McKernan, P Shiels 1-07 (7f); PJ O’Connell 0-01, N McKenna 0-01, C Clarke 0-02.
Subs: Mattie Donnelly for McKernan (HT); S McNaughton for O’Connell (42); C Carson for Ciaran Johnston (61); T Ó Ciarain for McManus (64).
ah lethimoutwithit wrote:I'd say Antrim are sick, looking at the hammering that they received from Waterford I would say that they expected us to lose in Limerick and have everything riding on the last game so they sent down a shadow squad to Waterford, or am I being cynical??

Incidentally, if this had worked out would it have gone on score difference with us Laois and Antrim finishing on 3 points?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote:Jayz, could have been excommunicated, meant 2 points each of course
According to POTH, a 3 way tie in the standings would have been broken by score difference.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

townman wrote:
Turenne wrote:Congrats lads, now if every team that plays Offaly plays the match with 14 men you'll win the AI. :lol:
how many finals did cork lose to 14 man meath down the years :roll: :roll:
did cork lose to meath hurlers? do meath have a hurling team? oh sorry townman sure yez are havin a great run agin the likes of dem in the minor :lol: :lol: :lol:

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

this is the same Limerick who beat the great tipp the last two years :lol: :lol:

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

townman wrote:this is the same Limerick who beat the great tipp the last two years :lol: :lol:
dont be silly now townman. of course it wasnt. dey werent missing dere club champions & down to 14 men for de whole match :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

fiffi says missing their club champions
From what I saw today in Croker they were not missing a lot !!!!