Offaly v Wexford, NHL, Sunday February 22nd 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Offaly v Wexford, NHL, Sunday February 22nd 2015

Post by bracknaghboy »

As has been said before there is no such thing as form with the Offaly hurlers. The Antrim game in 2010 in Parnell Park springs to mind (the day Breeder was subbed) when they were woeful bad and needed extra time to beat an Antrim team that somehow managed not to win the game in normal time. There seemed like no point in turning up to take on Galway in Croke Park and out of nowhere they had the ball in the net 3 times and giving Galway a lesson. Then game the Galway replay where wind assisted they managed to put in a stinker of a first half only to return and put in one of the most spirited 2nd half performances in a long time that only just fell short. 2010 was one example of many where form is irrelevant.

And so 2015. OK against Westmeath. Very poor against Galway and then very good against Laois. Its anyone's guess what will happen on Sunday. As POTH said the weather is to be particularly bad for Sunday so perhaps a low scoring affair similar to 2012 Leinster championship game on the cards? Who knows?
I think the key for Offaly is that the 6 forwards fight for ball like their lives depend on it and let no easy ball back out of there. It had the Laois backs under serious pressure and no back line likes coming under constant pressure.
A win and a quarter final is all but guaranteed.Defeat and it'll be a relegation dogfight again. Just another average fixture for the Offaly hurlers and their small but committed band of followers!!!!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Let's hope Offaly continue their form from the Laois game next Sunday, on what's promised to be a crap day weather wise unfortunately. Division1B will be a competitive one, results will be important. I hope to be there, just one comment why can a match ticket cost €10 in Centra/ Supervalu if bought in advance, but cost €15 at the ground? someone might explain this anomaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

last weeks win over laois was a good lift for the squad, never much between theses sides when they meet. if they hurl as well as last weeks i think we will pick up another 2 points offaly to shade it.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I can only guess the incentive to purchase tickets beforehand is so there will be less cash knocking around the venue on the day of the match. I don't know for sure, it's just a guess.

Incidentally, the deal is only where tickets are purchased prior to matchday. I discovered this last Saturday morning when I went to buy my ticket for the Laois game and was charged €15.
SearingDrive wrote:Let's hope Offaly continue their form from the Laois game next Sunday, on what's promised to be a crap day weather wise unfortunately. Division1B will be a competitive one, results will be important. I hope to be there, just one comment why can a match ticket cost €10 in Centra/ Supervalu if bought in advance, but cost €15 at the ground? someone might explain this anomaly.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Just a side note here. Offaly minors are hurling wexford in Killeigh tomorrow morning at 11:30 or 12. Im not sure which time is correct

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I can only guess the incentive to purchase tickets beforehand is so there will be less cash knocking around the venue on the day of the match. I don't know for sure, it's just a guess.

Incidentally, the deal is only where tickets are purchased prior to matchday. I discovered this last Saturday morning when I went to buy my ticket for the Laois game and was charged €15.
SearingDrive wrote:Let's hope Offaly continue their form from the Laois game next Sunday, on what's promised to be a crap day weather wise unfortunately. Division1B will be a competitive one, results will be important. I hope to be there, just one comment why can a match ticket cost €10 in Centra/ Supervalu if bought in advance, but cost €15 at the ground? someone might explain this anomaly.
Apart from reducing the amount of cash for security purposes it would also reduce the potential for skimming from the gate by the county board hosting the game.
I would also suspect it is part of a tie in with centra/SuperValu for sponsorship of the championship. By allowing them to sell discount tickets it brings potential customers to their shops.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Killeighman wrote:Just a side note here. Offaly minors are hurling wexford in Killeigh tomorrow morning at 11:30 or 12. Im not sure which time is correct
Throw in at 12.00 Na Fianna have 5 players on the Offaly minor panel this year, largest of any club. Great tribute to the underage structure at Na Fianna.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

joe bloggs wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:I can only guess the incentive to purchase tickets beforehand is so there will be less cash knocking around the venue on the day of the match. I don't know for sure, it's just a guess.

Apart from reducing the amount of cash for security purposes it would also reduce the potential for skimming from the gate by the county board hosting the game.
I would also suspect it is part of a tie in with centra/SuperValu for sponsorship of the championship. By allowing them to sell discount tickets it brings potential customers to their shops.
Thanks for clarifying that, motto is buy early!. By the way €10.00 is more than enough for a league game in these times.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Shocked Poth, thought you knew everything????
Sure begorah and tis only a guess, but sure tis to get a few aul spalpeens inthe door of the local centra or sv ta reward them for the few aul bob they pegged our way over the lazt few year. Sur ya might buy a loaf or butter milk or a turnip while you are there??

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

kingscounty wrote:Wexford team named 1. Mark Fanning 2. Liam Ryan 3. Matthew O Hanlon 4. Ciaran Kenny 5. Paudie Foley 6. Lee Chin 7. Eoin Moore 8. David Redmond 9. Garrett Sinnott 10. Ian Byrne 11. Daith Waters 12. Diarmuid O Keeffe 13. Paul Morris 14. Jack Guiney 15. Liam Og McGovern
Lads that looks like a strong wexford team to me .

Liam Dunne has Mattew o Hanlon back to mark Joe Bergin,Liam Ryan back to mark Shane Dooley and Eoin Moore gone out to wing back to mark Dan Currams.
I hope last saturday was not a false dawn for offaly , looking at the way Waterford blew laois away tonight i be worried .
A few thing worry me ,laois missed 2 penelities and S Dooley scored 1 -10 from frees out of 1 -22.,10 points from play against laois is not great but laois put up a big score against us which is a worry .
Wexford have a more dangerous full forward line even without Conor McDonald than Laois .

Tommorrow will give us a better clue to where offaly really are .
One game doesnt make offaly a bad team but neither does it make us a great team.

There was possible an over reaction to the loss to Galway in the Walsh cup but there has been people over stating last saturday night preformance against a poor laois team in my opinion.
I hope i wrong and that sid has transformed offaly over the winter, i think tommorrow we are up against a re emerging wexford team that have the potental to be a real force in hurling in the next few years .

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Offaly have named the same team that started last Saturday night . Laois were with Waterford for a good while and yet again they had a man sent off and it was game over . Wexford will no doubt be a top 6 team if they keep going like they did last year and keep there underage going strong . This is a huge challenge for Offaly but we need games like this .

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

i agree we need games like this but i just think on form wexford should have too much for an inexperence offaly side tommorrow, some of those offaly guys have not beaten wexford .
we at home with notting to lose and i hope offaly have a real crack at wexford

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Ok lads. It's a big game today.
You know I'm not to worried about the result. All I want see is another good solid performance.
If we get a result that would be great.
Laois result last night means nothing, we're not Laois were Offaly.
Playing to Offaly value we can beat anyone.
“Common sense is not so common.”

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

A game Offaly could have won only for the sending off early in the second half. Wexford were poor enough and hit some terrible wides . When we got the ball in the back line it was just high ball down the field , when Wexford got it they played low ball into their forwards . Colin Egan was my man of the match he was outstanding . Wynne, Mooney, Shortt, Ryan, all battled hard but when Kiely got the red our forwards were always going to struggle . Dempsey made some great saves . Wexford were feck all better than us today but the pitch was in a terrible state and players got it hard to rise the ball .

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

kingscounty wrote:A game Offaly could have won only for the sending off early in the second half. Wexford were poor enough and hit some terrible wides . When we got the ball in the back line it was just high ball down the field , when Wexford got it they played low ball into their forwards . Colin Egan was my man of the match he was outstanding . Wynne, Mooney, Shortt, Ryan, all battled hard but when Kiely got the red our forwards were always going to struggle . Dempsey made some great saves . Wexford were feck all better than us today but the pitch was in a terrible state and players got it hard to rise the ball .
I wish I had gone to the game you were at kingscounty. ....i went tto the one in oconnor park and we were generally second best all over the field and but for Dempsey and some woeful shooting practice from wexford we could have been beaten 20 poinrs