2015 Walsh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: 2015 Walsh cup

Post by townman »

i agree Healion should have been fullback the last two years hurl well again kilkenny and waterford at centreback in 2013, he was fullforward in 2008 and got as good as goal you will see again laois in the championship in portlaoise that year, Kenny was fullback then with Ger was also playing fullforward with his club in that poistion. Mahon was either centre or full forward and has done a good job there will be a big miss this year, as for Dan Currams in my opinion and look there are like arse holes everyone has one i don't think and haven't seen the lad do it in a offaly jersey and his no young buck anymore.

i agree with you on players in there right poistions but this is going on in offaly for years didn't we lose as good as halfback or centreback in the game in Roy Mannion under Cregan, i also think Kevin Brady was feck around under different mangers he was even put centre forward, Birrs Paul Cleary was hurling great stuff fullback for Birr around 6 years ago but yet played centre forward again kilkenny in the championship it was a joke. lads think iam running down players here but i am not its not fair on Stephen Wynne the lad hurl alot of his hurling in the fullback line or halfback, where has offaly got him midfield :roll: Parlon and Colin Egan are another two played out of poistions the last few years.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Joking aside, it seems to me anyway that there is a daily bid by a small number of posters to out-do each other by saying the same thing as often as possible and in as many different ways as possible. Now, maybe Kilcormac people generally have a complex but that isn’t my experience of Kilcormac people generally. I was happy to see them making the breakthrough in 2012 but the carry-on around here lately is seeing the goodwill I have for them gradually eroding.

Naturally, people are free to post their thoughts, but the ‘complex’ reached a whole new level in the last week with the introduction of the theme that the club were effectively discriminated against by Joe Dooley’s management during 2008. That was in the wake of K-K’s run to the County Final the previous year, and with Birr going on a run to Croke Park on St Patrick’s Day, the Offaly Management called up a number of new hurlers to their League panel.

To suggest that those K-K players were victimised by Joe Dooley later in the year is bringing revisionist history to a level that would embarrass the Sunday Independent. Because I don’t remember any ballyhoo at the time regarding the exclusion of the Kilcormac players. Remember, this was the year Offaly beat Limerick in the qualifier and ran Waterford for 55 minutes in Thurles a week later. Remember the team? Brian Mullins; David Franks, David Kenny, Michael Verney; Kevin Brady, Ger Oakley, Diarmuid Horan; Rory Hanniffy, Brendan Murphy; Brian Carroll, Joe Brady, Derek Molloy; Shane Dooley, Joseph Bergin, Daniel Currams. Which of those were not lining out on merit? Which of them didn’t prove themselves against Limerick? Who was picked to the harsh exclusion of anyone from Kilcormac? Answer – none. And I was a frequent critic of Joe Dooley’s management on this site.

I have also noted with curiosity the campaign on this site to have Danny Owens manage the Offaly team. Curiosity, because if my club were on a successful run, the last thing I would want to happen would be to lose the manager to the County team – or anywhere else, for that matter. It is no secret that Danny Owens was not the K-K hurlers’ preference at the start of 2012 – they wanted Stephen Byrne but the committee voted for Danny Owens. Yes, it worked out, but the committee took a chance with what could have caused division in the team.

Furthermore, that Rory Hanniffy and Kevin Brady have chosen to retire after over a decade’s service seems to be used as a stick to beat Brian Whelahan withon this site. Feckitt, that’s the equivalent of pointing fingers at Danny Owens for Colm Cassidy’s retirement from Senior club hurling at the end of the 2011 season. No-one is doing that, nor should they.

But, K-K enthusiasts, don’t let that stop ye from posting. It is a discussion forum, after all. Just remember – be nice to people on the way up, because you’ll meet them all again on the way back down.

Finally, to the poster who spelt 'Offaly' without the 'y' on the predictions thread - I don't believe that was a typo on your part, I believe it was intentional, and you really should be ashamed.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Look sick of all this k/k that k/k this , they are a fine club as i have said number of times, but this Birr and Sid bashing is getting silly, yes his not the man for the job it seems but thats the county boards call
look k/k have won 3 county titles and 1 leinster club title the same as coolderry have won, don't see lads wanting half the coolderry lads on the team and lets for forget coolderry were the wide of a crossbar from knocking k/k out in last years semil. k/k should come out of offaly again in 2015 but has this team got it in them to get to the holy grail, they have failed agan Ballyhale in 2014 and Oulart in 2013 my last post on k/k been hard done by offaly.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

lads im sick of this debate too .
its a pity over the last number of years we are unable to get our strongest possible teams out on the field .
whether thats due to poor managment , injuries or club politics does not really matter.
we also seem to had only half a team these days .
g healion did play full back last year against limerick when r hannify went off but that the only time i saw him at full back,d kilmartain never played a full match in midfield for offaly as far as i know .
k grogan p healion b leonard and j gorman never played for offaly in any league match as far as i know
c slevin hasnt played a full 70 minutes for offaly either as far as i know
those guys should have developed 5 or 6 years ago ,there all in there late 20s now its too late so we need to make sure history does not repeat it self and young lads like c doughan etc are lost again .

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

townman
i agree p cleary was mess around,he was a class hurler but i think centre back was his best position .like k grogan both put great passes into the forwards .
roy mannion was special i also thought if cregan hadnt lost him ,he would have been great in midfield beside johnny p

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I suggest you take a look at the player records located elsewhere on this site. Looks like you missed the 2008 NHL.
sam88885a wrote:k grogan p healion b leonard and j gorman never played for offaly in any league match as far as i know .
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

[quote="Plain of the Herbs"]Joking aside,
Remember, this was the year Offaly beat Limerick in the qualifier and ran Waterford for 55 minutes in Thurles a week later. Remember the team? Brian Mullins; David Franks, David Kenny, Michael Verney; Kevin Brady, Ger Oakley, Diarmuid Horan; Rory Hanniffy, Brendan Murphy; Brian Carroll, Joe Brady, Derek Molloy; Shane Dooley, Joseph Bergin, Daniel Currams.

had forgoton to be honest it was a good team with almost every player in the best position .
it was no wonder that we were competive when u consider who didnt make that team d hayden p cleary s ryan j rigney d morkam c parlon d murry s ryan c mahon k grogan b leonard g healion c slevin j gorman .
we dont have a pick like that today
Last edited by sam88885a on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

sam88885a wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Joking aside,
Remember, this was the year Offaly beat Limerick in the qualifier and ran Waterford for 55 minutes in Thurles a week later. Remember the team? Brian Mullins; David Franks, David Kenny, Michael Verney; Kevin Brady, Ger Oakley, Diarmuid Horan; Rory Hanniffy, Brendan Murphy; Brian Carroll, Joe Brady, Derek Molloy; Shane Dooley, Joseph Bergin, Daniel Currams.

had forgoton to be honest it was a good team with almost every player in the best position .
it was no wonder that we were competive when u consider who didnt make that team p cleary s ryan j rigney d morkam c parlon d murry s ryan c mahon k grogan b leonard g healion c slevin j gorman .
we dont have a pick like that today
I'd argue that we've had quality personnel once we rebuilt from after the 2000 final.

There have been chances for us to make an impression for 12 years, but for one reason or another we just were unable to come through (not for lack of trying). Examples are found in the results page of this site. They stick out for anyone following Offaly long enough.

Anyway, on the the future (which is what matters now). Hopefully we can do the business against Laois tomorrow for starters.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.