2015 Walsh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: 2015 Walsh cup

Post by townman »

sam88885a wrote:offaly have always struggled at underage ,that the way thinks are, we have a small pool of players . escept for the late 80s and 2000 .
there are clubs in dublin with far more resorces than offaly has .
yet our senior hurling clubs are at the top table .
i was talking to ballyhale supporters on saturday and i said that ballyhale had improved from the kk game .
They disagreed and feet that kk would have beaten gort easilly too . they said that they were very very lucky to beat kk and no other club team and some county teams including offaly would have defender of the quality of kk to contain their key forwards .
The rated g healion as one of the best club full backs in the game and said his injury help open up space in injury time , they also said that there is no better half back line in club hurling that kk s .
what they couldnt understand is why they offaly team is not built around those kk lads .
they said that none of the defender that played for offaly in nolan park last year against kilkenny had the defensive qualities of grogan leonard or the healions .
any county that has strong clubs should have a competive county team was the view.
clubs are the building blocks of any county team .they produce the raw material of your county team.
they kk are clearly not wanted by the current manager and i wont be surprised if young kiely is pushed aside during the year
there was about 8 of the k/k panel in with offaly last year, its not as if they are not getting called in
k/k are a fine club side and with a bit of luck should be leinster club winners again. but you mention the Grogans and Leonards they don't what to hurl for the county they will not go in thats not just under Whelehan, Baker and Dooley also. agree Healion should have been fullback last year and this i know his 32 soon but sure thats where offaly hurling is now theres not a good young fullback in the county. Kilmartin was in last year and it seems he had a fallout which was a pity as his as good as midfielder thats also in the county. Dan Currams in my opinion has gone nothing in an offaly jersey to get a first 15 jersey, club he has been ok, but didn't set the world on fire in leinster last year. young Kiely is hurling well and got better in every game he hurl with the club, but lets not forget we seem to forget that theres a big jump from club to county level, when you look at Ballyhale only Mick Fennelly and TJ Reid and Colin Fennelly will be on the kilkenny team, Joey Holden and Shefflian were subs. i think lads seem to think that if there were 7 or 9 k/k lads on the team we would be a force to reckon with. when we were at the top there was only 2 or 3 from most clubs that were on top in offaly lets remember this.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The observant among you will have noted the planning permission notice was published in the local media last week
sam88885a wrote:The county board seem to have plans to develope a county training facility .
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

townman
joe dooley played del morkam at full back against dublin in the league one year rather than use any of the kk lads .
b whelahan picked del morkam at centre back ahead of g healion last year ,k brady c parlon s ryan were all picked ahead of d kilmartain last year too.
i think g healion d kilmartain c mahon and d currams should have been the backbone of the team last year along side b carroll r hannify d morkam s dooley j bergin .
we could had young lads like e nolan d shortt s quirke p geraghty p camon etc playing off them .
imagine if our team last year was
J Demsey
S Egan
G Healion
Del morkam
E Nolan
D kenny
D Shortt
R hanniffy
D kilmartain
D currams
C mahon
C Egan
B Carroll
J bergin
S Dooley

i know some guys were injured but we never came close to picking of that quality over the last year .

honestly i think if we had g healion at full back this year even at 32 he would be much better than anyone else and maybe put d kilmartain at centre bach and build from there .
we had a soft centre last year and it does not look ant better this year .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sam88885a we could be here all day picking teams that should have played, i think the county board are to blame for most of this shambles, after last years disgrace displays in league and championship the county board should have gave Sid his p45 thank you for your effort in 2014 but its not working out.

yes there are players who should be in with offaly but they are not as someone said here you play for your county jersey not who's over you, i am sure there were plenty of hurlers that didn't get on with who was over them but they left that aside when it came to hurl for your county, theres a few from Birr too who were at it over the years and left the scene with a lot of years left in them..

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Lone Shark wrote:
greenairfield wrote:I think its time he resigned and he brough his gang with him and try get fresh blood in.Look at the facilties in Coolderry,Kinnity, St.Rynaghs surely there is good people from these clubs who would get involved if approached in the right way.
Just two things to pick up on here.

(1) If you're measuring Offaly GAA by facilities, then criticising this administration is way off the mark. Our county ground is second to none, and plans are well advanced for a training facility also. We're not where we need to be obviously, but there have been significant steps forward in this regard over the last twelve months. Neither is the county board entirely exempt from praise for the fact that in terms of club facilities, Offaly is ahead of the pack. In Laois you can count on one hand the number of grounds that offer you a roof over your head when watching a game, in Offaly it's a rare club that doesn't have this.

(2) If Padraig Boland resigned and as you put it, "brought his gang with him" - I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean by the way - who is then charged with the responsibility of going up to these un-named club people and "approaching them in the right way" as you put it? Again, one criticism that you could never make of the Offaly county board is calling them a closed shop. If you come forward and offer to help, you'll be facilitated very quickly.

This is not me defending all the people in power utterly or anything like it, but I do feel this particular line of criticism is unfair. Convention is just gone by and basically none of the roles were contested. The last people you can blame for that are the ones in the respective hot seats.
Have to agree with you on this Lone Shark. While i didn't agree with the re-appointment of Whelehan.
The Great progress with the Training Facility, With the financial Plan almost in place for the development and he determination to get Offaly Finance reduced with the help of Corke Park is something that i have been impressed with.
The partnership with Athlone IT is very important for the under age development.
The Good Work that he is leading will put Offaly in a much better position in the future.

That don't excuse the re-appointment of Whelehan and most of his team. the results and the style of play should have been enough to know that the re-appointment wasn't a good plan.
The Offaly Hurling Forum never got further than Stage 1 of Offaly Recovery which was coach class for the clubs Which is hugely disappointment. This is very frustration.
Will stage 2 ever get off the ground.
It was meant to be an open and frank discussion about the problem in Offaly Hurling and It look like it was another county board passing the buck on to the clubs and not leading they way they should.
Martin Forgarty and Diarmuid Healy are they still involved??
What is stage 2 and how many stage are they??
I was will to give the county board time to get this recovery programme up and running but it now February and its been 4 months and nothing has come for the county board.
Its has destroy the any momentum from stage one and its is criminal in a recovery programme.
“Common sense is not so common.”

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

townman ur may not be aware of they view around kk is that under both j dooley and b whelahan kk players were only there to make up numbers on the bench .
its not easy to stay when deep down u know ur not wanted and leaser hurler will be ahead of u no matter what .
d currams was the only kk that was sure to start last year and i expect this year will be the same .
secondly kk training is very orgainised , every thing is ready and everyone is on time and that down to j dunne whereas with offaly last year that was not the case .lads arriving when the liked including managment.

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

I think it is very easy to sum up the professional approach tthat the current manager has to preparing the Senior hurlers for rhe league......His own son is in training with the county squad, I hope it is only to acquire some level of fitness, and not to take his place on the bench as sub goalkeeper to Dempsey!!!!

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

His own son !!!!!!

I dont know this young lad. Is he there to make up numbers or on the Panel ???

I remember a previous Offaly Manager being slammed for playing his son when he brought him on as a sub,,,,,,,

The young lad did all right after, well as a player anyways !!!!!

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

Difference was.....young Dooley could hurl!!!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Tisn't the Dooleys Ryot is referring to.
Chris wrote:Difference was.....young Dooley could hurl!!!!

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

That manager didnt get reappionted and offaly and his son went on to be part of our greatest hurling team ever

hurlus
Junior C

Post by hurlus »

TOWNMAN, just to clarify an issue AGAIN.
Leonard was NOT asked into the offaly panal, I repeat NOT
Asked into the offaly panal under whelehan, or under baker. Yes he was there under joe Dooley, warming the
Bench like the other young lads that year, as too was grogan, and plenty more.
Same s#*t every year with offaly. Where your from and who you are determines if you
Play for your county

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Bad news for Offaly as Bergin and Kenny are out for the majority of the league campaign

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

More proof of discrimination against the Kilcormac lads. There must be a tribunal who will hear all the evidence on this and hand out appropriate sanctions.

Such sanctions might include - a minimum number of Kilcormac players on each county team (perhaps 50%, but we can decide on this later), both hurling and football, and there always to be a KIlcormac manager and a Kilcormac captain. Offaly should also wear the Kilcormac-Killoughey jerseys - they're more or less that same colour anyway.

They should also bring a motion to congress (it's too late for this year, but that's the County board's fault) to increase huring and football to 25 a side, so more Kilcormac players can be included.

The whole process can be called Kilcormacology.
hurlus wrote:TOWNMAN, just to clarify an issue AGAIN.
Leonard was NOT asked into the offaly panal, I repeat NOT
Asked into the offaly panal under whelehan, or under baker. Yes he was there under joe Dooley, warming the
Bench like the other young lads that year, as too was grogan, and plenty more.
Same s#*t every year with offaly. Where your from and who you are determines if you
Play for your county

rocket57
County player

Post by rocket57 »

This is not about this man or this player,all i hear is negativity from almost everyone if this is what suporting offaly is about no wonder we are where we are talk people down and you will end up down. We have no control over who the manager picks but if we dont support the players who are their no fault of their own we wont have a team to support at all get behind and cheer them on see what hapens with a bit of encouragment we could be suprised :) up the faithful.