U21 Home Advantage Lost

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

U21 Home Advantage Lost

Post by kaiserchief »

I just read that we are giving away home advantage in the under 21 match versus Kildare because we don't have the lights facilities with proper health and safety conditions.

I think in the era, this is a disgrace. How much would it cost to put lights in O Connor Park or for the county board to aid in the development of somewhere like Gracefield whom already have the lights.

What are people's thinking of this?

Killeighman
All Star

Re: U21 Home Advantage Lost

Post by Killeighman »

Its a disgrace. The grassy hill in Gacefield is the main problem i think. A digger can sort that out no problem. They held u21 games over in Gracefield 2 or 3 years ago when Pascal was in charge. There was not much of a problem back then. That game was also against Kildare. A load of non sense if you ask me.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

O'Connor park is already wired for lights. since every game and county final is going to be played there wouldn't you think they would have floodlights there now every game is played there since 2006 now thats 9 years now and still no lights. we will still keep losing home views over the next few years.

Gracefield did a great job holding the 2 under 21' games again Meath, and Kildare this safety and Health is bullshit the same shit is been said about Birr's Brendans park.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Cant understand why Gracefield isn't suitable , great atmosphere there the last time.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

It is a shame we don't have lights in St. Brendan's Park!
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

or in the field beside Cuba Avenue :wink:

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Anyone got idea of how the U21 team are going? Tough game against Kildare on Thursday, especially now that's it's away from home.

The bookies have Kildare as warm favourites @ 1/2.
The Untouchable

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

the Untouchable wrote:Anyone got idea of how the U21 team are going? Tough game against Kildare on Thursday, especially now that's it's away from home.

The bookies have Kildare as warm favourites @ 1/2.
where is the game on and what time?
Doon exile....

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

7.30 in Portlaoise Thursday evening.

Played Roscommon in a challenge match last Thursday night in Gracefield.

Lost 3.11 to 0.10. Three 25 minute periods. Played well enough but kicked some bad wides. Peter Cunningham played the last third. Roscommon took their chances and should do well in this years championship.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Wouldn't be to worried on home advantage , Offaly teams normally play well in Portlaoise . Best of luck to the team and management

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

kingscounty wrote:Offaly teams normally play well in Portlaoise
Which ones?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
kingscounty wrote:Offaly teams normally play well in Portlaoise
Which ones?
Well most recent the hurlers had good win few weeks ago , KK had some memorable wins in Portlaoise . Personally I'm much happier its in Portlaoise and not in Newbridge.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Those odds are crazy.

Offaly have beaten them twice in the last few years and they have lost Brophy to AFL & have a few out injured as well as 3 more missing, stuck in Army training.............

Will be travelling down expecting us to win...............

hopper82
Junior A

Post by hopper82 »

Hard to believe this has happened in this day and age where we loose home advantage for a first round of a championship because we haven't the facilities to hold big games under lights :oops: lets just hope its resolved and it wont happen again .

We have managed to turn over Kildare in recent years at this grade where they would have been favourites, not that it will stand to much on Thursday night .

Unfortunately we will be without the services of Peter Cunningham which is an absolutely massive blow for us, the lads have trained without him all year which will take the sting out of it a small bit as it gave us time to prepare without him.

I would expect Pat will have the lads well organised and there are a number of 21s who I have been impressed with in the senior set up Corbett , carroll , Maher, in particular give me confidence to belive we wont have a bad outfit on Thursday night .

Every team will have there own troubles particularly at this grade and from looking at Kildare discussion forums they could be without the services of some of key players ,Luke Flynn, Paddy Brophy and Wayne Fitzpatrick all are reported to be absentees, Brophey in particular would be a very dangerous forward and was one of McGeneys key target men when he was at the helm of the Kildare seniors so would be good from an Offaly prospective if he is not around.

I havnt seeing this bunch playing together since they were minor in 2012 nor have i seeing Kildare so Im in no position to call how it will go I just hope they lads show plenty of fight and heart and we pull one over on the lillies .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

is there many on the team who were under 21 last years team that beat kildare in Athy.