Killeigh and Killurin

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Killeigh and Killurin

Post by SearingDrive »

The 3 townlands are Killurin, Clonad, and Gurteen. I believe the clubs have to decide on the matter within 3 weeks, time is limited. Kilurin have done a fine job on their grounds. Ironically the pitch was purchased for use by Killeigh GAA club in the 1960's, from a local Estate a local curate was involved. It was used sporadically, being 5 miles from Killeigh, and transport not as common as nowadays, Killeigh used a local field, now their own grounds from the 1970's to date.
Regarding the notion that hurling is somehow confined to South Offaly, Killeigh, Tullamore, Rahan, Killoughey, and Edenderry, have looked after the small ball game, for as long as the GAA exists. We followed Offaly teams in hurling and football down the years, and if hurling is to develop it needs to be played all over the county if there is an interest.
Plain of the Herbs wrote:For me one of the joys of having been a sports reporter for a number of years was that I sometimes got assigned to cover matches I wouldn't otherwise have attended, and that occasionally one of those matches might be a real classic. That mightn't necessarily be for the quality of the hurling, mind, rather there may be a significant breakthrough for the winners.

One such memorable occasion was Killurin’s Junior Final win over Ballinamere in 2008. Killurin’s first Junior Final win, that they came from behind to overtake their opponents, that the occasion was tinged with grief as they had seen the tragic passing of a key club man earlier that week, all made it a Final to cherish. O’Connor Park wasn't packed, or anything like it, but it didn't have to be to capture the emotions of the winners. The captain didn't lift the cup, two leading players did, but not before the captain proudly instructed them to “lift her up good and high lads, we’re going up to Intermediate”.

Therefore I am sorry that Killurin probably will be no more. They put up a great struggle from their inception and developed a fine grounds. They languished in the basement division for long enough before their breakthrough years finally arrived. Then three years ago the club had a county man when Dwayne Dunne lined out for Offaly in the Walsh Cup. In earlier years Owen Dillon was part of a Leinster Minor hurling Final win when he was sub goalkeeper to John Troy. Dillon was probably the only one of that Offaly Minor panel still hurling last year, and his van is a familiar sight at Killurin’s matches.

I read somewhere previously that the Killurin club were drawn from just three townlands, which is quite phenomenal. Sadly smaller families and the ensuing falling birth rates make it impossible for the very small clubs to survive. Killavilla were in a similar boat and I recall reading around the time the tricolours won their Intermediate title that they were drawn from just 29 houses.

However, while mergers will become more commonplace at underage level, I think the smaller clubs such as Lusmagh, Clareen, Drumcullen and Kinnitty have sufficient resources to continue as independent entities, at least for the foreseeable future.

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

Just spotted this on the hoganstand and kind of relates to some of the things we have touched on in this topic.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=230467

We have Brosna Gaels, hopefully the Killeigh/Killurn amalgamation will be fruitful and maybe another team at underage combined of clubs like Gracefield, Rhode, Daingean, Ballyfore, Croghan, Clonmore, Clonbullogue and Edenderry. Based on what you say above I've included Edenderry in this so that this new grouping could have their own committee etc. The logistics and of course interest from parents could present a problem though. Just a thought.

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

beirut wrote:Just spotted this on the hoganstand and kind of relates to some of the things we have touched on in this topic.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=230467

We have Brosna Gaels, hopefully the Killeigh/Killurn amalgamation will be fruitful and maybe another team at underage combined of clubs like Gracefield, Rhode, Daingean, Ballyfore, Croghan, Clonmore, Clonbullogue and Edenderry. Based on what you say above I've included Edenderry in this so that this new grouping could have their own committee etc. The logistics and of course interest from parents could present a problem though. Just a thought.
Know a good few people from around these areas in Laois and they think it's great idea but reckon it will take a few years to get going due to 'older' clubman that want football only, but they say with right attitude it will work. I feel a similar initiative would work in North Offaly.

Have Edenderry, Daingean, Clonmore, Ballyfore, Croghan & Rhode combine as one club under the name say ''North Offaly Gaels''. Have a committee that is their own but obviously all clubs have a Representative on the committee. This will basically be the current ''Edenderry'' team but will have its own setup, committee, structures etc. I reckon more players will get involved. I have stated in previous post that through no fault of Edenderry, but players from surrounding clubs dont seem to eager to play due the Hurling Club been ''Edenderry''. A lot of Rivalry in this idea - noting malicious but players cant apprehensive about playing with other clubs.

Another club could be formed in the North East using the clubs, Gracefield, Bracknagh, Walsh Island and Clonbullogue. Gracefield obviously have their own setup and myabe too proud to join forces but I dont see how it would harm them. The long term benefits should be relised. Walsh Island had a few players play hurling underage with Na Fianna and were handy enough, Clonbullogue provided hurlers at various stages to both Gracefield and Edenderry (Whatever agreement they have there) and I'm not sure about Bracknagh but they could of had a couple play with Gracefield down through the years - open to suggestion.

Both Amalgamation's would rotate pitches every year, once they are suitable for hurling. i.e. Proper nets to catch a sliotar, grass cut, etc. Both teams could start off in Junior B on a 2 year trial period and see how it goes. This would go for underage set up also. Regarding parents travelling etc, im sure they could take turns and car pool. In the case of both amalgamation, the distance from the furthest club in each area would be no more than 10 miles. e.g. Edenderry to Daingean or Clonbulogue to Gracefield etc.

Hurling is dying in North Offaly whether people like it or not. Growing up in the 80/90's most kids had a hurl as Hurling was popular at the time. Kids now dont care about hurling as its not popular around the area due to the decline of the county team. County Board need to Man up and relise its dying sport in this area. Thats just my two cents. I'm open to correction or suggestions as it's only an idea I had the last while.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Would be a good idea look at brosna gaels who got senior, you could have Edenderry and Gracefield both are junior A, and were always able to hold their own in that level and both were intermeadite over the years, add in walsh island and Bracknagh and they could be a strong amalgamation in a few years time, didn't Gracefield go with seir kierans in underage the last few years and i think Keith Mullally captain seir kierans under 21's last year his in with offaly footballers this year and doing well.

lets not forget Cillian Farrell sean og farrell were on all irelands winning panels and Finbarr Cullen was full back on the 1989 minor all ireland winning side so theres hurling in edenderry, if it makes offaly hurling better lets go for it.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Any updates on the merger talks?
Rumour has it that Simon Coveney saying Fine Gael could go into coalition with Fianna Fail was intended as a shout out to Killeigh and Killurin to put their similar divisions aside!

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

There was a meeting on Monday night last between the two committees where they discussed items like names of the amalgated team. The EGM of the clubs is due to take place in the next two weeks. If the 75% majority is met the two clubs will merge and put teams into this years championship apparently.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Any updates on the merger talks?
Rumour has it that Simon Coveney saying Fine Gael could go into coalition with Fianna Fail was intended as a shout out to Killeigh and Killurin to put their similar divisions aside!
Think Simon has enough problems, without worrying about Killeigh and Killurin.!

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

The big vote is tonight to find out what will happen with both clubs

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Killeighman wrote:The big vote is tonight to find out what will happen with both clubs
8pm start for meetings, 75% majority required. I hope that both clubs vote for the amalgamation tonight, it's the way forward.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Just heard that this got the green light . Fair play to both clubs and the best of luck in the future , hurling in Offaly will benefit from this venture in sure.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Correct lads green light from both sides

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Welcome, Clodiagh Gaels.

Someone with local knowledge might give us the reason for the name. The Clodiagh bit, not the Gaels bit, obviously. I assume it is a river?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

I'm nearly sure if you travel the road from Killeigh to Killurin you meet a bridge at a place called Gurteen which would be the "border" and that river that flows underneath separating Killeigh and Killurin is called the Clodiagh River.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Indeed your correct allstar

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Killeighman wrote:Indeed your correct allstar
All the best for the year ahead, is management in place yet? I presume ye will be an intermediate club? If so, ye should give it a good rattle.