2015 Walsh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

2015 Walsh cup

Post by townman »

first game of 2015 sunday at 2 in mullingar again westmeath, will be a hard game hope to see Sid giving a lot of new faces a run the last time we met was Ollie Bakers first game and we lost in kinnnegad
we need a win on sunday as like the footballers this team has to get a winning run going.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Re: 2015 Walsh cup

Post by kaiserchief »

Fully agree.. We need a repeat of last Sunday..

The main thing as you said is to blood new faces in competitive games such as this. No point have Paddy Murphy, Cillian Kiely and others brought into the panel and not giving them game time.

Its also a good chance for Sid to nail down 3 & 6. He has to do this as soon as possible and stick to his guns. Cant have repeat of what happened with Kelliher last year.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

sunday is important for offaly .
we need a preformance with good work rate and 15 guys hurling as a team .
it will be intresting to see whos at 3 and 6 but if c mahon is not around this summer we need to find a centre forward too .there 3 key positions and there are not a lot of options on the current panel other than d shortt e murphy and c egan in my opinion .

honey badger
Junior B
Club: Offaly

Post by honey badger »

Get the year off to a flyer, offaly to win by 7 points.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

1 will do.

rocket57
County player

Post by rocket57 »

Hope to see a good performance and new faces see what we have ,heard they had a good win against either NUIGor GMITlast sunday maybe things are not that bad wait and see
:)

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

team to play westmeath best of luck hope to get the year off on a winning note.

1 J.dempsey
2. S.Egan
3. D.Shortt
4. P.camon
5. E. Nolan
6. C.Egan
7. C.Parlon
8.S.Wynne
9. S.Ryan
10. T.Carroll
11. S.Kinsella
12. G.Mann
13. S.Dooley
14. P.Murphy
15. S.Quirke.

rocket57
County player

Post by rocket57 »

no KK player ???????????????

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

While i would wish the lads selected all the best for tomorrow and the year ahead I have to say thatI doubt Iif anyone other than the current manager could have come up with that starting 15 for tomorrow. ....who is going to win any ball in that forward line??? Sometimes one is lost for words,,,,, other than to say again, best of luck lads!!!!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

with no k/k players and Bergin and Carroll not starting its the best we have, anyway at least paddy murphy and Mann from tullamore are getting a run if they weren't picked sure everyone would be giving out about why they weren't picked. Chris what ever about the forwards not winning the ball that midfield of Ryan and Wynne would have been the poorest i have seen line out for offaly neither of them are midfielders.

i think if Dooley,Quirke, and Tommy Carroll hurl well we should scored enough to win. a chance for Murphy, Mann, and Kinsella to show they are worth a place for the league. the fullback line looks strong if they all hurl well, i though Enna Murphy would have got a start, Colin Egan and Parlon in the half back line what ever about one of them not two.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

townman wrote:team to play westmeath best of luck hope to get the year off on a winning note.

1 J.dempsey
2. S.Egan
3. D.Shortt
4. P.camon
5. E. Nolan
6. C.Egan
7. C.Parlon
8.S.Wynne
9. S.Ryan
10. T.Carroll
11. S.Kinsella
12. G.Mann
13. S.Dooley
14. P.Murphy
15. S.Quirke.
Great to see Stephen Egan, Shortt and Camon getting some game time in the backs.
It a good full forward line.

Again I would have a problem with two forwards in the half back line. Egan had a few games there last year and could be give more time to work in the position. But Parlon has been playing wing back for two year now and hasn't been improving in the position that just doesn't suit his skills.
Parlon is a better forward than Gardener, Lenorad, Herron, Rigney. Gorgan, and you can add about another 5 or 6 to this list but he isn't a better Wing back than any of them.
Our half forward line could do with Parlon in it.

Wynne will go into the half forward and Carroll is go into midfield I think.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Has anyone got a list of the subs for tomorrow? Thanks

Let's hope team get off to a winning start. Good to see 3 debutants. Seemingly training is going better than last year but this is second hand information! Hopefully it is going well!

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

Agree townman......ryan and Wynne will be by- passed......and as bad as that might be it will be worse if tom carroll goes there. ....i woukd like to see Egan get a run at centre back on the condition that he shows a lot more interest than he did for FerbaneBBelmont in last year's championship . I would prefer to see Paddy Murphy in the half forward line as tthat is where he has always hurled. ....i think he might not be able to make the space he normally does if playing full forward.....subs bench and use thereof will be interesting as I think they will need them!!!!! Toxicity, I also agree that Parlor is better suited to the forward line but it seems management are determined to stick with him in the half back line

rocket57
County player

Post by rocket57 »

looking forward to tomorrow and to see the new players getting a run see what they can do and if they are up to it. this is a good game to start the year and with Galway to come then we will seee where we wre going .optomistic for the gane tomorrow but it will not be easy westmeath wont fear us as they have beaten us a few times lately i still expect a win up the the faithful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

2015 starts with a win .
strange team
good to see s egan back but its very important for offaly going forward that d shortt p camon and e nolan are gaining experence in defence . its a pity that c doughan and d kelliher are not in the half back line too .
i think c parlon and c egan have more to offer as forwards and e murphy should have got a run at centre back.

disappointed to hear b carroll came in at centre forward , the waterford game in tullamore proved that carroll is not a centre forward .hope we dont repeat old mistakes this year carroll had his first really good year in 2014 when he was in his best position at corner forward .

good to see p murphy getting game time but i would rather see him at wing forward .
today as always about looking at fringe players and getting a win.
bigger test ahead for b whelahan which will tell us what he has learnt from last year