Offaly Club Teams of the Year

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Offaly Club Teams of the Year

Post by High School Musical »

Did anyone catch sight of the club teams of the year at Senior, Intermediate & Junior level, in the Tullamore Tribune last week?
Did Mr. Corrigan select these teams on his own?
I’d love to hear from him and find out what criteria he used for selecting the ‘Junior’ team for instance.

Lone Shark, maybe you should use your own newspaper column for a similar (but different) take on it?
Yours could be a rival to the WBC (written by Corrigan) version.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Club Teams of the Year

Post by Lone Shark »

These ventures are always tough to take on because in the absence of the ability to bilocate one's self, trying to get a good feel for a "team of the championship" at one grade is tricky. Trying to do it at all grades is nigh on impossible. I obviously can't speak for Kevin in terms of how much JFC he saw this year (though I will say that he tends to have a fair bit of interest in that particular championship as a general rule) however I know that I certainly wouldn't take on the task because you could count on one hand the number of matches I saw at that grade. I'd be hard pushed enough to do it at senior for football and hurling. Unless you were a pure devotee of JFC and watched it to the exclusion of SFC and IFC and all hurling, you'd always be having a punt when it came to a few of the positions.

Admittedly I'm spread a bit thinner than usual since I'm taking in a lot of Roscommon games as well as a sprinkling of Galway, Westmeath and Longford as well, so Kevin would have that advantage in that he'd be looking at Offaly club football and county football, and little else. I'm not saying that his team is right or wrong, but it'd be a hell of a lot better than anything I'd come up with.

If he's WBC, I'd be WBO or one of the other elements of the alphabet soup!
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Anyone care to post up the teams?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

Can't seem to get a copy of the tribune any able to post up all the teams? Thanks

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Yep a post up of the teams would be helpful?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

High School Musical wrote:Did anyone catch sight of the club teams of the year at Senior, Intermediate & Junior level, in the Tullamore Tribune last week?
Did Mr. Corrigan select these teams on his own?
I’d love to hear from him and find out what criteria he used for selecting the ‘Junior’ team for instance.
This sounds like a lad who is badly rattled because he wasn't selected!

High School Musical
All Star

I actually don’t have the newspaper myself either.
Now, while I agree with most of the points made by Lone Shark, in so much that I completely understand the difficulty of selecting such a team and it being very much a matter of opinion from individual to individual, I have to say that Corrigan’s position in the Tullamore Tribune allows his opinion to be more wide-reaching and highly influential.

I’m sure the senior team is the one that would generate the most discussion and debate (and rightly so!). But my grievance in this thread is aimed at the selection of the Junior team. Now I’m not going to question the merits of any individual player who was deemed worthy of selection by Mr. Corrigan, but as a whole, there’s something definitely unusual (the best word I could come up with to describe it) about the final 15 that were chosen.

The team itself consisted of 5 Clonbullogue players, 4 Ballycommon players, 2 Birr players, 2 Daingean players, 1 Clonmore Harps player and 1 Ballinagar player. How Kevin Corrigan came to the decision that 2 Birr players were worthy of a place in the Junior Club team of the year is beyond me. They only played 3 games, winning 1 and losing 2, gave a walkover in another game and failed to qualify for the Quarter-finals. Daingean, who won the championship, played 7 games winning 5, drawing 1 and losing 1 also managed to get just 2 players on the chosen 15.

Now, the objectivity of my argument may be brought into question here so I don’t want to get into a discussion over that. I would just like to know if anyone has any opinions on the team themselves?

High School Musical
All Star

Bord na Mona man wrote:This sounds like a lad who is badly rattled because he wasn't selected!
No, sure I dont even play. I dont really like football.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Lets face it, outside of Tierney and Comerford, Daingean had no forwards, midfield was well beaten in many games, and probably won on basis of being a bit more balanced with little star quality. Ballycommon would have bit more star quality, thus Coneely and G Mann were 2 who prob featured, plus their keeper was v good. . Ballinagar had 1 star forard Gary ?. Birr prob Sean Ryan? Clonbullogue had some nice players, Greg Quinn, Lee Dempsey, and Crampton was good this year too. But don't have the paper, but if these 10 were there, I wouldn't argue

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

I have to agree..

Of course he had to have 2 cappincur lad's on the intermediate..

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

kaiserchief wrote:I have to agree..

Of course he had to have 2 cappincur lad's on the intermediate..
Kevin Corrigan is affiliated with Ballinagar not Cappincur...Hopefully that clears things up for you

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Anyone know if the hurling team of the year is on this weeks Tribune?

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Sur Jaysus we cant even get lads to post up the football team here, howld your whisssht on the hurling.

On a side note Kaiser, what is your problem with the 2 Cappincur players being picked??, Cappincur would be favourites for this years Intermediate, and were very impressive at times in the championship. Hugh Treacy , I would imagine was one, cant fault that, Eoin Carroll might be the other, but I would feel he was hit & miss in many games. Jason Gethings had a good year.
I have yet to see one direct criticism of whether players were left off that should be on or visa versa, nothing only implied stuff from "so called experts"!

By the way, would not be a huge fan of Kevin's articles in general, but fair is fair lads.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

This used to be my big beef with things like the All Stars. It wasn't about individual performances as it purported to be, but instead a quota system. The winners would get 6 or 7 awards, the losing finalists four, all the rest bar one given to the losing semi-finalists and one token award given to a player from the team that did surprisingly well out of nowhere. For example if Kerry makes the All Ireland quarter finals they won't be getting an All Star, but if Longford do you can guarantee that they will.

Then when you have awards like this year's hurling, where the winners get one less than the losing finalists, all hell breaks loose.

Again I'd have no strong opinions on a JFC team of the year, or an intermediate one for that matter though I did see a bit more Inter ball this year, but it's entirely possible that Daingean only had two players worthy of inclusion. I saw two Daingean games (QF & F) and I'd be lying if I said that they had a lot of standout players in those matches. Their defence was leaky as hell against Ballycommon and up front they struggled against Clonbullogue. In a championship where a lot of clubs have one or two footballers capable of a lot more than Junior, it's not impossible that two was a fair number - particularly when set against the likes of Birr, where you have four or five players that have been on senior county panels and many more that are way off the pace.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

Lone Shark wrote:Their defence was leaky as hell against Ballycommon
I believe you meant to say their defence was as leaky as hell against Ballinagar. While this maybe true, that game was over after 10 mins.

If Brennan and D Mangan hadn't been injured throughout the later part of the season I would have had them in automatically in two of the back positions but I think overall Tierney and Comerford were the difference in winning the championship (plus Kelly's(I think) wonder point) and Daingean's only standouts.

But defo a few "unusual" selections there too.