Under 21 Final St Michaels v St Broughans

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
True Red
All Star

Under 21 Final St Michaels v St Broughans

Post by True Red »

Just after hearing that this match has been called off?Anyone know why?

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Wheery have an objection gone in with Leinster GAC over having to concede home advantage to the Island in the semi last week.
Or thats what I was told a few mins ago.

far from croghan hill
County player

Post by far from croghan hill »

would kilmurray have pulled the plug?
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Seems pretty petty to me that Wheery have objected after the horse has bolted - if they had won would the same apply or maybe they are helping out KK in his hour of need!!!

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Seems petty okay, but I hear that Wheery did object before hand and actually had an objection in but were told to play or be thrown out- so they played "under protest". So the best of both worlds in that case.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Barracuda wrote:Seems petty okay, but I hear that Wheery did object before hand and actually had an objection in but were told to play or be thrown out- so they played "under protest". So the best of both worlds in that case.
I don't care what anyone tells me, that compromises principles when you do that. If the game was supposed to be at a neutral venue then this made no sense, and any appeal would have been quite likely to stand up. If they hadn't played, they could have used this very argument in their favour - that it would have been unfair to scratch both lottery tickets as it were. As it is now it just looks like a very classless attempt to salvage matters. To me anyway.

How do the players feel about it? Can anyone shed any light on why Broughan's had home advantage to begin with?

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Seemingly the Semi Final was originally fixed for Mucklagh which was deemed waterloggged an hour or so prior to throw-in.Walsh Island was then deemed to be the venue as it was playable.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

True Red wrote:Seemingly the Semi Final was originally fixed for Mucklagh which was deemed waterloggged an hour or so prior to throw-in.Walsh Island was then deemed to be the venue as it was playable.
It doesn't change the fact that Wheery played, lost and should accept it, but even so - surely to jaysus in the 80 odd GAA grounds in this county another one was playable somewhere? Even allowing for floodlighting - Gracefield? Ballycumber? I mean come on, whoever came up with that call has questions to answer.

seamroga
Senior

Post by seamroga »

That message about the pitch in Mucklagh being deemed unplayable an hour before the throw-in is uncorrect. The County Board knew Mucklagh was unplayable more than 24 hours before the throw-in, and seemingly asked loads of clubs to host the game, but their pitches were unplayable also. That was understandable considering the heavy rain that had fell in the days leading up to the game.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Here are the facts:

Game was fixed for Mucklagh on Sunday at 6. On Saturday morning we were told that the pitch was unplayable so the game was being moved to Walsh Island.

We obviously objected to that, told them that our pitch was playable, which it was, and why weren't they playing it in our pitch, no reason was given. Floodlights were not needed, the game was played entirely in daylight and the floodlights in Walsh Island weren't turned on.

Members from the managment were in contact with several members of the county board who all said Walsh Island was the only pitch playable.

At 6 O clock our manager rang a representitive from Ballycumber who said that their pitch was playable and that we could play the game there no problem. We informed the county board and were told that the fixture had been changed and that was that.

We said that we wouldn't play the game in Walsh Island, they said play it or you will be thrown out of the competition. We had a meeting and decided to play the game, the stop starting of the championship was doing us no good and the game had already been postponed. We lodged a letter to the county board saying that we were playing under protest.

We played the game and Broughans were the better team on the day. Although in saying that they got a soft enough peno and our man of the match was sent of for two dubious yellow cards. It's not called home advantage for nothing, and its not just a matter of being able to walk to the field. We'll call them home town decisions but in fairness looking back on it in the cold hard light of day they probably were good for their 2 point victory.

Whatever happens now has to be a decision made by the players, and the management and I am not going to say what I think because I will go with whatever decision we arrive at and I don't want to speak out of both sides of my mouth.

However there was no way, no how that the county board should be let off with what they did to us. They have treated this championship like a farce from the start and with this they have robbed us, made all our efforts for nothing, and in fairness Broughan's and Michaels' are being hard done by too.

I know it looks like we are being petty and as always yee are all free to voice your opinions. But I just wanted everyone to have the full facts before making their judgement.

far from croghan hill
County player

petty this may seem- but is there 80 pitches in the county ????

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd say there are not far off it - albeit I was counting every pitch for the purposes of emphasis - I'm aware that playing the game in Shinrone or Lusmagh was never really an option. Officially Offaly have 85 clubs - I would assume most would have at least one pitch, although I'm aware that some are amalgamated clubs for the purposes of underage etc. Truth be told it was a wild guess though.

I still disagree with playing the game and then looking for a reversal afterwards, but something doesn't ring true there. Giving a line like "the game is fixed and that's that" is ridiculous carry on. An explanation from the county board would certainly be no harm here. Or a Broughan's perspective, for that matter.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

what can this objection hope to achieve?Wheery were beaten on the field of play.

Is there much of a chance of a replay?

far from croghan hill
County player

wouldnt be the first time that ferbane have been involved in controversy over objections and refixtures..a certain 1989 minor 'A' hurling final when they were playing Birr springs to mind

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

far from croghan hill wrote:wouldnt be the first time that ferbane have been involved in controversy over objections and refixtures..a certain 1989 minor 'A' hurling final when they were playing Birr springs to mind
A little unfair on Ferbane I think ! Is there any club in Offaly who would play a county semifinal on the opposition's pitch when denied an available pitch (bally) or the option to toss for home venue ???

I disagree strongly against nearly all objections as matters should be settled on the field of play. However, in this case, with simple logical solutions available, The county Board have brought this on themselves.