Rhode in Leinster - 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
mickey
Senior
Club: ferbane

Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by mickey »

Went to O'connor park today not known what to expect from our offaly representatives, I left the match wondering where this performance had come from, rhode were quite simply awesome.this is a different team that played the county final, twice as good.can this team go further? The tackling was brilliant, the off the ball running was brilliant I for one am very surprised and very hopeful for 2 weeks(home advantage again).verdicts lads?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: rhode in leinster

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm delighted they won, St Pats were decent opponents and in the absence of Brian Darby it was a very impressive result. But I didn't come away hugely impressed by the performance at all. There were aspects of it that were good of course, but there were a lot of key players who weren't really in the game that much and ultimately the game just boiled down to goal chances. Rhode got three, admittedly one tap in, and took two of them. St Pats got five, and took none. There's the difference between the two sides in one statistic.

Now obviously there's a huge skill to taking your goal chances and Conor McNamee's finish in particular was excellent (I was hoping for him to punch it over when he got it first, shows what I know) but on another day Garry doesn't make one or both of those saves, Karl White's shot could go a foot lower and into the net instead of onto the crossbar, or Paddy Keenan could have kept either of his shots low.

It continues to surprise me as well that Rhode's management are very slow to make switches, which is odd given the level of work that a lot of the players have to put in and the quality that they have on the bench. It's not like a lot of rural clubs that are going to the sideline and putting on decent junior footballers, Rhode are going to the bench and putting on county under-21s (Stephen Hannon), the best minor in the county (Ruairí McNamee) a proven senior player who's not long out of county (Shane Sullivan) and other very decent players. It was the same in the county final - it's very odd in this day and age not to use players of proven quality like that.

Still, they did what they needed to do and the Leinster championship is well set up for them. They could get to a Leinster final without leaving O'Connor Park, and the challenges get gradually tougher as they go along. They'll have to be a lot better than they were last Sunday, or in the county final, to my mind though.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

I was impressed with rhode on Sunday. Pat's posed a particular physical challenge and Rhode met it head on. Played some nice football at times as well and showed composure when Pat's came at them in waves late on. Young Gareth McNamee did well in what was his first Senior football start for his club. Leinster Club championship is no place to be throwing out debuts but with Brian Darby on honeymoon, needs must as he acquitted himself well and had the physical wherewithal to hold his own.

They used the breeze well in the first half and took their chances when they arose. Pat's didnt and therein lies the rub. Goals win games, especially at this time of year. Be an interesting battle between Navan and themselves the next day out.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

this is the first year Rhode haven't been talked up as possible leinster winners with most going for ST.Vincents and Portlaoise to win it out, with Darby and maybe Shane o'suillvan back i think they will get over Navan o'mahonys next weekend, with the form Niall Mac is in they will take beating this year
and maybe 2014 could be there year.

townman
All Star

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by townman »

all very quiet on this thread big game on sunday for Rhode, i see in todays indo Dublins Keith Barr is tipping Navan O'Mahonys to beat Rhode myself i can't seem to agree with him as O'Mahonys have done nothing of note the last few years to have them ahead or better than Rhode, also Kevin Reilly is a big lost to them, Rhode by 4

mickey
Senior

Post by mickey »

Very quite town man. I seen that to.navan be very strong.meath football is at a good place right now compared to offaly

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

don't know about a good place you wouldn't say that after the leinster final this year,

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Leinster club SFC FT: Rhode 4-10 Navan O'Mahonys 0-13

Brilliant result,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Did not see that big win coming,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Super win , have to say I expected it , Meath teams have done fuck all in Leinster for a long time . The Sunday world had Navan winning it easy on the basis that Meath county footballers are doing better than Offaly such crap , Rhode have been knocking on the door a few times and lost two finals I think so they should be considered contenders for Leinster . Written off the last day and today , but Rhode and moving along quite nicely and far play to them.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

good win the underdog tag suites Rhode this year, and will have another battle again Moorefield in the semil in tullamore, ST.Vincents of Dublin gave portlaoise a lesson today 10 point winners, it will be a Rhode ST.Vincents final i think.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

What's this???

An Offaly Hurling Club pulling one out of the fire last weekend followed by a Football Club pulling away in the second half today???!!!

Congrats to Rhode on this win!!!

Onward!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

great win for rhode today .

2014 has been a terrible for offaly in hurling and football ,it would be great if rhode could make the leinster final in football and kk make the hurling final .
i think it will happen both seem to be only hitting a bit of form in the last month and are improving every day .
well done rhode

mickey
Senior

Post by mickey »

Iv said it.and say it again, pressure off rode now.compate that performance to county final? 6 pas better against St pats. Another 4 points better vs navan. Good enough for a final maybe??? Probably about it.but if we can get all our football clubs to that level in offaly in time we be ok

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

the one thing that has let Rhode down over the years in leinster was scoring they didn't score enough
but they have put that right so far this year 6-19 in two games isn't to bad and will need to score big in the next game to beat Moorefield, but i think they have the best forward in club football in Niall Mac
and he is playing well another 1-4 yesterday for him, also Rhode will have a score to settle with moorefield over the 2006 leinster club final.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

The players that stood out for me in the last 2 games were Eoin Rigney, Conor McNamee, Glen O'Connell, Pauric Sullivan, Niall McNamee and in particular Anton Sullivam. I think he has come of age in the last month. 4 or 5 great points from the young man yesterday again.