Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

Post by sam88885a »

lads i think ye reading far to much into the semi finals.
d currams will cause more bother to rynagh than s quirke will to kk .
will st rynagh half forward line win enough position off that kk half back line ?
have rynagh anyone to cortail d kilmartain in midfield?
who is going to stop c mahon under the puckouts?
kk are tryed and tested, they have been winning in second gear all year and if the need to up it they have the hurlers to do so .
people say they dont use the ball well , they play long aimless balls but i see it differently the let they ball in quick and early and its up to the forwards to fight for it .
i know it hurts some people to admit that this is a very good kk team .
i expect kk to win easily on sunday and still people will question them.
in my opinion it take a special team to win three in a row ,it not just luck

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Rynaghs will have all the answers to your questions, confidence is high, banagher for the crack sun night and all nxt wk to!

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

It could happen maybe st rynagh will come of age on sunday and if they do they deserve to party, 21 years is a long time but i think the party will be in the blue ball .

hurleyman
Junior B

Post by hurleyman »

I am with Sam kk will work harder in the forward line to cut out rynaghs short passing game.

The Bogman
Junior B

Post by The Bogman »

Not trying to take away from the big game at the weekend but I didn't want to start a new thread. So on a completely unrelated note, people might be interested in checking out Jerome Quinn on twitter. He travels all around the world covering GAA events and posting videos for the GAA. Just happened to see that last weekend he was in Kuala Lumpur covering the Asian Gaelic Games competitions. Anyone spot the former Offaly All Ireland medal winner scoring a few goals in the mens hurling final for Singapore?
https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/ ... 9044072449
Well worth checking out his Twitter and other videos too. Its astounding really the number of players and teams playing GAA abroad. Actually, unless I'm mistaken I spotted a few Offaly men in his coverage of the Australian games a few weeks ago.
Now, back to the county final. FWIW, I just have a feeling Banagher will shade it

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

this is a big game for Rynaghs, they are in the poistion where K/K were is 2012, Killian Leonard point in the semil again Birr that year got the monkey off their backs and they went on to beat Rynaghs in the 2012 final along with getting to the all ireland that year, won the title in 2013 also and a bit of burnout caught them out again oulart in tullamore in the club.

Rynaghs even doe they are a young team they have been knocking around over the last few years with county final in 2012 last years defeat to Birr in the semil, also lost a few semils and 1/4 finals over the years. this is the final they need to win if not i can see k/k going on to win 4 or 5 in-a-row.

i wouldn't judge the semil final display by both teams for sundays game, the one thing that stands out about both teams is size, and i think k/k are the biggest side not alone in offaly but in the country i'd say only Con Mahon and Alan McConville maybe Peter Gerarthy are under 6 foot, towards Rynaghs who have their share of big men but they are mostly a small team and that will count for along on sunday i think.

where k/k will win it i feel is the spine of their team Two Healions, Kilmartin, Mahon, Currams, i think they will get the better of their markers, add in k/k halfback line and an ace in young cillian Kiely who could be one to watch come sundays final. i wonder will Gary Connelly get his place back Shortt, and Sean Dolan done well in the semil, i wonder who will lose out as the 15 who started the win over Clareen all hurl well on the day.

i will go for K/K to win by 5 points and if they hit form they could well win by a lot more, i think the 3 in a-row carrott will drive them on and i feel they have un finish buinness in the leinster club championship after last years defeat to oulart the ballagh.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Just to pick up on a few points made by others earlier.

There’s alot to be read into K-K’s big challenge match performance over Na Piarsaigh last Friday night, that’s if those reports are to be believed. I think it’s counter-productive, could take the edge off their game and be a recipe for complacency. The day has yet to come (within Offaly anyway) when the required hunger just isn’t there. Not a blindingly 'heads in the air' complacency, just enough to take the edge off their game. Such a day happened them last year in Leinster against Oulart, and happened to Coolderry in the 2012 quarter-final. The day will come when least expected; and most required.

Seán Dolan did a good job when pressed into edge-of-square action against Belmont (second-half) and Clareen. However, Dan Currams is hurling well, is a proven goalscorer and is intelligent at developing play. It must be tempting for Rynagh’s to restore Dermot Shortt (who is a natural full-back) to no. 3, and recall Garry Conneely to centre half-back, where the pair played all year anyway. Not that there’s be any worries about Shortt at centre half-back, he’d be well suited to Conor Mahon. And then, who do they leave out?

How Ger Rafferty does on Ger Healion will be, in the likeness of a US Election, a ‘swing state’. Rafferty covers ground. Healion tends to guard square’s edge and allow Peter Healion pick up an outfield-moving full-forward. Rafferty doesn't tend to move out the field, rather he moves toward the right-hand touchline, into space created by Joey O’Connor. Will K-K react to Clareen’s failed plan where Éanna Murphy allowed Rafferty gain possession, and have Ger Healion stick to Rafferty (thus breaking the habit of three successful years)? Will Alan McConville stay in the corner and challenge Rafferty for possession (which comes with a health warning)? There is the potential for goals here if the Quirkes and O’Connor and Gary Kelly can time their runs and if Rafferty (an excellent distributor) can time the lay-off.

Whatever, Rynagh’s will need to be quick and precise with their passing. On the counter-attack they can not give the K-K midfield pairing the time to reposition themselves in front of their half-back line.

James Gorman has hurled, and scored, well for K-K all year. He scored four points off Alan Corcoran the last day. Still, he will be opposed by Danny Maloney on Sunday, a similar narky corner-back. But this time a narky corner-back on a team probably on the front foot.

Seven of the St Rynagh’s team who won the semi-final won the Vocational Schools All-Ireland four years ago. A team coached by Francis Forde. In addition, they won underage titles all the way up, both hurling and football. One of the refreshing things about them this year is that they haven’t hurled with the burden of the ould fellas growling from the hill. Yet the tradition of previous decades brings belief when things get rough. They have moved the ball blindingly quick at times, and have the fitness to carry out that game.

Even if St Rynagh’s don’t win on Sunday, there is a Senior title in this team. Who else will challenge K-K going for four in a row? Clareen maybe? Coolderry have no-one coming through. Shinrone need a few years yet. Perhaps Sunday will be St Rynagh’s day.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

poth
good post but i think if u look at both teams in the 2012 final p camon struggles with d currams and c mahon out hurled d short , kilmartain destroyed g connelly and s quirke was taken off .d horan was with them too and i think kk really only developed into a good team after that . k grogan was only a sub that day as was t geraghty and con mahon and c kiely also add to the team.
yes ur correct to say these rynagh lads are good hurlers and have won at underage but its not fair to dismiss kk after winning 2 county titles and a lenster title and they should have won the all ireland in 2012 too.
it was not complacency last year that beat them but fatigue after playing football they week before , lads were stuck to the ground and yet if they didnt lose d currams i think they would probaly could have won that game .
if kk hurl to their potental especially there half back line and midfield st rynagh will have to be very good to win .
i think kk are more battle harden and since d owen took charge kk have always turn up in the right frame of mind to play especially in big games . that was not always the case before d owens took charge .
st rynagh will be kk big challengers over they next few years and should win a county tital but i dont expect it to be in 2014

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Sam,

You are correct, Kilcormac really only pushed on after that 2012 County Final. There were a number of changes between then and the Leinster campaign. Chris Guinan got injured and was replaced by John Grogan, Kevin Grogan replaced James Geraghty at 5, the brilliant midfield partnership was formed when Killian Leonard replaced Kevin Coyne at midfield and Thomas Geraghty replaced Trevor Fletcher in attack.

They won that Final well too, they were hurling well even though not scoring in the early stages and needing the kickstart of Slevin’s penalty goal (or was it a free, whatever?) to get going.

But Rynagh’s are more focused this year too. Several changes too. I count just eight who started the semi-final ten days ago who began that 2012 Final. And only one outfield player in the same position. Conneely was 22 then, he’s 24 now. Ditto Shortt, while Camon, Treacy and Stephen Quirke are now 22. And two years ago, Rynagh’s finished fourth in the group, had lost to Belmont before playing, and beating group-topping Coolderry in the quarter-final. Gary Kelly has lost alot of weight, which demonstrates a focus. Different coach too. And their fitness levels are in a different stratosphere to previously, when fitness was, in the best traditions of Offaly hurling, an optional extra.

A bit unfair to suggest I ‘dismissed’ Kilcormac. Weighing up how they are likely to deal with the movement of the St Rynagh’s attach and suggesting that perhaps St Rynagh’s might win does NOT constitute ‘dismissing’ the champions.

Whatever it was last year, the edge was taken off their game. And I’d be for confident of their chances if Ciarán Slevin was hurling better.

I do agree “if kk hurl to their potental especially there half back line and midfield st rynagh will have to be very good to win”. Thing is, with the exception of the first round against Clareen, K-K haven’t really hurled to potential this year. Now, they were missing four defenders against Ballinamere and still pulled through with something to spare. Later, Coolderry were some bit off their best, yet I fancied Coolderry to win at half-time and though K-K were clearly the better team in the second-half, had Joe Brady’s ground shot hit the net, the last five minutes would have been very interesting. K-K can’t continue to be satisfied with operating at a level that is two or three points superior to their opponents. Some day that won’t suffice.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

i be fair clareen were 8 or 9 points up at half time in that first game and kk turned it around in under 10 minutes and won easily . could it be possible that kk have been doing enough . c slevin had an injury in the semi final. g healion b leonard and k grogan were only coming back from injuries so that game should stand to them . t geraghty should be back too and d murry was not used in the semi final . i agree s quirke has great potental but is he as good as d currams?
i think kk lads like grogan kilmartain mahon leonard and currams have done it on the big day and quirke camon tracy short connelly are unproven yet .
the 3 in a row with currams as captain should ensure kk will be up for it .

Conrad
Intermediate

Post by Conrad »

To be fair to those Rynaghs lads mentioned it is harsh to say they are unproven. They were one game off making 3 county finals in a row having been beaten by Birr in last years semi. So it's no fluke they are here again and we can safely say they will be K/K's main rivals for the foreseeable future.
When it comes to individual hurlers in Offaly there are no world beaters however Dan Currams holds the candle going forward - after that anyone playing Sunday is at an even keel. Both teams to cancel each other out but Dan Currams to be the difference, with Mahon doing the donkey work Dan could well score more than St.Rynaghs combined. Expect to see Killoughey/Kilcormac dancing at the crossroads when homeward-bound. Wagon Wheel and all that.. :)
Don't spread horse-manure over good crop

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

the junior A final between Clareen and Ballinmere is the curtin raiser for sundays final .

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Dancin with vexation :D

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

It's an awful pity "dan" has not done it at county level.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

babsandbond offaly is different dan currams and c mahon are surrounded with lads with poor workrate, good hurlers but lads that want to be stars not team mates .
hopefully the st rynagh lads will help to change that because they look like the are a proper team ,all working for each other .

when have u seen s dooley j bergin or b carroll chasing down a defender and turning over the ball for the team.
both kk and st rynagh do it and if offaly are to improve all 15 guys will have to do that for each other because it never happens .they all play there own game and certain lads go around point at others to chase while they wait for the pass .
dan has scored 6 goals in 7 match this year