What'll we call the new stand in O'Connor Park?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Hocker
All Star

What'll we call the new stand in O'Connor Park?

Post by Hocker »

Ok lads, here's one for ye now cos I feel it'll be down to us, the public, to decide on the name for our magnificent new stand currently being constructed up in O'Connor Park....

Certain names have been touted, Noel McGee, Willie Bryan, Matt Connor, John Dowling..... Ciaran McManus :lol:
Who do ye think the stand should be named after??

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

The Matt Connor Stand

far from croghan hill
County player

Post by far from croghan hill »

name it after Ciaran McManus...most of his efforts will end up there anyways!!!! :D

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

azoffaly wrote:The Matt Connor Stand
Has to be

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

I agree with Kevin Corrigan on this - let them sell naming rights to the highest bidder!

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Yeah its got to be called after Matt Connor and failing that, maybe John Dowling.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

He already has the cup, has to be Matt

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

If it was ten years ago, I'd say certainly it would be the Matt Connor Stand - though now there would have to be an outside chance that the naming rights will be sold. I'm not sure how I feel about this - after all, the players and the running of the organisation within the county is a living and breathing thing, and turning down a competitive advantage seems foolish. On the other hand eaten bread is soon forgotten and all that, and in a few years time the money would be spent and the stand would be still named. Earning money for the GAA is a bad thing in this day and age almost, because it seems to be an excuse for the GPA to foam at the mouth like rabid wolves and demand their "cut", as if all money created was just going to go on county board bonuses otherwise.

Still, I'd tentatively say sell the rights.

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

bump
Last edited by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

Name it "The Offaly Clubs' Stand" cos thats who is paying for it, sacrficing much needed internal fundraising in order to sell County Booard tickets for a stand in Tullamore - Senior Clubs giving 7k that they could have raised for their own club whilst getting no grants from the Couny Board............and the GPA want more!!!! :twisted:

As Such Ger
County player

Post by As Such Ger »

Does the stand really have to have a name? Its not like there are 4 stands in the ground and we'll get mixed up if it doesnt have a name.

Agree with SBOR on this one, but have one edit... Clubs and Businesses financed a lot of the stand... Wouldn't it be a kick in the teeth for all concerned if some other business came along and got to stick their name to it.... if im a local business who had given 10K towards it, I would be thinking "whats the point when my contribution will be totally undermined". These same businesses also contribute to club teams, underage academy and training fund for players...lets give them the credit they deserve too.... If the GAA were to name it Corp Inc Stand, I think it would be a case of biting off the hand that feeds you.

Lets call it "The Stand" - worked for the last 10/15 years

The Biff
All Star

The Stand

Post by The Biff »

I think there's something not quite right about naming a "public" place or facility after someone who is still in the Land of the Living. So in fairness to Matt (and he is still involved in our GAA setup), I dont think this is the right time to putting his name up on high.

Also I dont think it would be fair to the small companies - who have contributed at the important stage in the building process - to see a big competitor get the glory spot at the end of it all. I could only see this work if it was the likes of Carroll Cuisine, as they have well earned their dues over many years.

So I also vote for "The Stand".

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

I think exactly the opposite Biff. Why does someone have to be dead before you can honour them?

far from croghan hill
County player

under the rules of the association,in the offical guide, a cup, pitch, ground, stand or team can not be named after a living person. offaly county board are at present breaking that rule with the hosting of the senior football knockout cup, called after matt connor.
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!

far from croghan hill
County player

just to correct the man from ferbane, the dowling cup is not named after john dowling, if thats what you were referring to.
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!