Offaly Senior Football Management 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Football Management 2015

Post by SearingDrive »

kingscounty wrote:Of the 3 Offaly candidates I would like to see Flanagan get a shout for the job , interesting to see 3 Kildare men looking for the job , I have heard Carew is meant to be a good manager , Ryan has experience with Longford , Earley would only be starting out so I couldn't see him getting the nod . Good to see some interest for the job , division 4 football wouldn't be to attractive for anyone coming in but I suppose it would give time to build a team up from the bottom because that's where we are now and it will take yet again 3 or 4 years before we see any progress.
It's unbelievable that 3 months after Emmet McDonnell resigned as SF manager (21st June), that it's only now the Co. Board appoint a committee to consider candidates for the job. He will probably be appointed after the County Final at this rate, unless they opt for a local, maybe already selected, would it happen anywhere else?.
Personally I would go with Pat Flanagan, from the 3 outsiders, Glen Ryan looks a good choice, but then I'm not making the decision.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Why the shock this is offaly county board we are talking about , i belive its between Peter Brady or Padraig Dunne to get the gig.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

Any chance we could get Shane Lowry to have a word with Paul McGinley, seeing as he has little to be at now. :D
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

turfcutter
Junior B

Post by turfcutter »

its simple, it dosent matter who comes in for the Job, who wants it etc....Money Talks, and with the Offaly CB, Its who ever wants the least amount of money, maybe even no money at all will get it, whether its the perceived right person or not.

Regards

Daleamar
County player

Post by Daleamar »

Kevin wrote:The selection committee of Padraig Boland, Fergal McKeown, James Brady and David Coffey have begun the interviewing process this week.
That is some selection committee. Only the best for us!

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

Unless Pat Flanagan is taking over from Jim McGuiness, its safe to say he will be the new Offaly manager.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=225406

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Reckon this is more Sligo calling the shots on Flanagan than anything as he hasnt committed to them yet despite them wanting him to stay on...... It may mean he will get the Offaly gig but Sligo would have felt held to ransom that he hasnt said either or......Turns out now that Flanagan will have to take the Offaly job, that is if he even gets it. While it may be his life long ambition, it wont be easy and from a managerial perspective, it could be a very bad move for him if he does get it! It will be hard for him dealing with a county board that is grossly out of its depth and living in dinosaurland if assertions from Niall McNamee at the end of the McDonnell reign are anything to go by......
jimbob

Truesupporter
Junior A

Post by Truesupporter »

Jimbob,why are you so keen to believe what was said by Niall Mc Named? Just because that is his opinion doesn't mean it is a true representation of what actually happens! Maybe Pat Flanagan is exactly what we need herein Offaly. That the manager is the boss, not the players! Worth a shot anyway!!! What we were doing wasn't working so onwards and upwards is the only way!

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Any truth in the rumour that Banty is on the short list?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Truesupporter wrote:Jimbob,why are you so keen to believe what was said by Niall Mc Named? Just because that is his opinion doesn't mean it is a true representation of what actually happens! Maybe Pat Flanagan is exactly what we need herein Offaly. That the manager is the boss, not the players! Worth a shot anyway!!! What we were doing wasn't working so onwards and upwards is the only way!
I believe it because the players know a lot more of what goes on than most. As captain of the team he would be more aware of the goings on than you or I. If there were no issues, why would a captain come out in national media and back and support a manager that has barely won a game in the previous two years. The westmeath lads were delighted to see the back of their manager after a year and nobody backed or supported him. Despite McDonnells departure, a lot of the players really had huge time for the effort he put in and the constraints he worked in and this was reflected n the captain coming out with a statement like he did. If everything was right, do you think Niall would have come out with what he said?
jimbob

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

But what did Niall say was not done. ? His claims were rebuked by Chairman in the paper. Where is the list of demands not granted?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

My understanding was that it was to do with professional backroom support team members that walked away from the set-up - not because of anything to do with McDonnell but grievances they had with county board which would be nothing new. These were key players that management and players would have wanted to be involved...... If this is the case and i believe it to be, given panel members (more than Niall) have openly said it (and this is not heresay), then surely someone is telling lies.........
jimbob

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

really, to get a proper answer on this, one would need to speak to McDonnells management team, the players and the people concerned...... the truth is out there if you really want to know.......
jimbob

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Flanagan Offaly manager appointment on hold for two weeks

The Offaly County Board has deferred the appointment of Pat Flanagan as new senior football manager until the former Sligo and Westmeath boss has a backroom team in place.

His appointment as Offaly boss, which had been anticipated to be rubber stamped last night, is now expected to be ratified at a special meeting within the next fortnight.

Sligo announced last weekend that its officials were seeking a replacement manager, due to uncertainty over whether Flanagan would be available to continue in the role.

The Faithful have been managerless since Emmet McDonnell stepped down from the helm in June following the 3-12 to 0-17 loss to Wicklow in Round 1 of the All-Ireland qualifiers.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/20 ... ffaly-job/

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Best of luck to Pat Flanagan in the role.
The man deserves the support of all during this time and hopefully all players selected will maje themselves available.

The experience he has developed from his time in Westmeath and Sligo should be invaluable plus the insight he has into Offaly football. I am sure that he will get more support in terms of selectors committing to come on board.