What are they smoking in Birr?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offalys Future
All Star

What are they smoking in Birr?

Post by Offalys Future »

ggggggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Hyper
All Star

Re: What are they smoking in Birr?

Post by Hyper »

Welcome back kid... how have you been getting on? looking forward to reading your views, will go through them asap...

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Offalys Future wrote:I looked on with utter disbelief when I read in the paper that Birr GAA club are fundraising again with their " Monster Draw" to raise funds for the continued development of St. Brendan's Park.
Are these people stupid? Birr hurling is much similar to Offaly hurling nearly dead and buried and they continue to waste money on their pitch and try to get it to a standard so they can fight to hold county games and the county hurling final.
Offaly has a county ground and that is O'Connor Park. A county the size of Offaly does not need two county grounds. Birr GAA has been really mismanaged and they have completely lost the plot. As of January Offaly are estimated to owe 2.1 million for O'Connor park development.

A few stats:
Between 2004 and 2008 Birr won county hurling titles at all grades = 12
Between 2009 and 2013 Birr won county hurling titles at all grades = 0

Anyone with a brain would know that the foundations to Birr's great success (and Offaly's) was made at underage with the school team in 1985 and 1986. Any resources and funds that are raised should be directly invested into the school and their underage setup.

It's really disappointing when you see so many people from Birr that have side-stepped their club and took on roles at county level when their club needs them now more than never. And while some are trying to help now its too little too late and the wrong person is managing the senior team.

Birr need a strategic plan, they need a visionary and they need it quick.
They need to give up the ghost on the pitch and concentrate on making their club great again. The only way this will happen is to put a serious investment into underage hurling and the community school. This wont come from Offaly county board or the Leinster council. Its Birr GAA's responsibility.
well said
better to have teams winning stuff and producing good players, with a shit field
than winning nothing but with the best field in the county
only the best...

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Offalys Future wrote:I looked on with utter disbelief when I read in the paper that Birr GAA club are fundraising again with their " Monster Draw" to raise funds for the continued development of St. Brendan's Park.
Are these people stupid? Birr hurling is much similar to Offaly hurling nearly dead and buried and they continue to waste money on their pitch and try to get it to a standard so they can fight to hold county games and the county hurling final.
Offaly has a county ground and that is O'Connor Park. A county the size of Offaly does not need two county grounds. Birr GAA has been really mismanaged and they have completely lost the plot. As of January Offaly are estimated to owe 2.1 million for O'Connor park development.

A few stats:
Between 2004 and 2008 Birr won county hurling titles at all grades = 12
Between 2009 and 2013 Birr won county hurling titles at all grades = 0

Anyone with a brain would know that the foundations to Birr's great success (and Offaly's) was made at underage with the school team in 1985 and 1986. Any resources and funds that are raised should be directly invested into the school and their underage setup.

It's really disappointing when you see so many people from Birr that have side-stepped their club and took on roles at county level when their club needs them now more than never. And while some are trying to help now its too little too late and the wrong person is managing the senior team.

Birr need a strategic plan, they need a visionary and they need it quick.
They need to give up the ghost on the pitch and concentrate on making their club great again. The only way this will happen is to put a serious investment into underage hurling and the community school. This wont come from Offaly county board or the Leinster council. Its Birr GAA's responsibility.

It must be a while since you were in Birr, as a lot of work has been done in the ground, but some is incomplete, and must be finished. Money does not grow on trees unfortunately, so having a draw should help with the costs needed to finish off what was commenced.

The drought in underage success for birr is like what happened in rynaghs where there was a 19 year gap between minor titles, a big part of the problem being that it is easy to take your eye off the ball when your seniors are going so well.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

In fairness OF, how much will it cost to get it to the desired state to be approved as a ground fit to host county finals and county matches.
They have spent how much to date, what is required to finish the job would (i expect), 10% of the initial spend at best.
I would think it would be madness if they dont finish it after starting the job and bringing it close to fruition.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

In fairness, I don't think anyone could criticise a club for engaging in fundraising of whatever type. If Birr have done the maths and they are confident that they can raise the money to get SBP up to a level where it will be a revenue generator, then best of luck to them. It'd be a different matter if they were looking for funding from county board sources or something like that, but it's understandable that there will be those in the local community who'll want to support this, and God knows it makes sense that the "Bring more games to SBP" followers have a means to actually get behind their cause.

Underage development is a different issue entirely and not necessarily one where money would be the main driver. I wouldn't see one issue as necessarily working against the other.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

gggggggggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Lets have some facts and figures on this as to whats needed to get the ground up to standard, and whats been spent to date.

I see Birr won the Community games hurling final!!!

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

gggggggggggg

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

Offalys future I see your posts as a dig at birr gaa more so than constructive criticism..birr gaa at board level has alot of people who are very hard I suppose "move" out of there just like the offaly county board has too..but the last couple of years there are getting more and more good people getting involved. Birr were winning everyting at underage through the 90s and early 2000s the last few years there has been a bit of a famine but there still gettin a couple of new hurlers every year on the senior panel and that's all a club needs...clubs come and go at underage level but in birr it's harder now they have alot of forgein nationals in primary school so hurling mighten be there first sport, we have rugby and soccer to compete against too country clubs don't have them issues.I know barry whelehan and Gary chill are doing coaching and the board of management are getting a hurling wall for the boys school over the summer..so efforts are been made and u could see this by birr winning the u 11 leinster championship at the weekend..The development fund is there to finish the terrace as it needs to be done. .ya can't be getting on to people for holding a fundraiser.

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

Perhaps they are smoking the same stuff as they are in the county board spending Millions on O'Connor park?

Seems to me that posters on here have a fear that Birr might get their grounds to a standard where they pass a leinster council inspection and what would the county board use as an excuse for playing minor and U21 county hurling games in Tullamore then as well as Senior Semi-final club games?

I for one will have no problem buying a few tickets to help the Birr club along.

At least clubs have a choice as whether or not to buy tickets!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

babsandbond wrote:.... but in birr it's harder now they have alot of forgein nationals in primary school so hurling mighten be there first sport, we have rugby and soccer to compete against too country clubs don't have them issues......
There's kids that aren't third or fourth generation Irish in most areas, that's not unique to Birr - and certainly soccer and rugby is everywhere as well. You'll do very well to find a crossroads in Ireland without a soccer club nearby. I wish Birr well in their endeavours but they are not unique at all in having other sports to compete with.
puzzled wrote:Perhaps they are smoking the same stuff as they are in the county board spending Millions on O'Connor park?

Seems to me that posters on here have a fear that Birr might get their grounds to a standard where they pass a leinster council inspection and what would the county board use as an excuse for playing minor and U21 county hurling games in Tullamore then as well as Senior Semi-final club games?

I for one will have no problem buying a few tickets to help the Birr club along.

At least clubs have a choice as whether or not to buy tickets!
In fairness, we needed one decent county ground and it was always going to be Tullamore. Of course the debt is an issue but Birr upgrading their stadium doesn't do anything for the county as a whole, it only does something for Birr. In that regard I understand and support Birr club in their efforts, but I expect that they'll find it tough.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

Clareen,Kinnity ,shinrone, kilkormac etc don't have rugby teams lone shark do they...?birr find it harder I think than country schools as in country schools hurling is soul and only sport in the community

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

gggggggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

gggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.