Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Michael Cleary stood out for me. I thought he had a massive game.

When central defenders were dropping like flies during the league, it didn't make sense that the Shinrone centre half-back wasn't on the County scene.
townman wrote:is there any player's that stood out this weekend who were not inthe county squad i take its an open panel and Sid and his backroom team will be watching the club championship for players who stand out or who have came into form.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Done Connelly is rubbish. He was trying to block the shot and connected with young Connelly. A yellow card was given and that was what was warranted nothing else. Ryan end up getting the follow through from the shot and got hit and went down. a belt of a hurl will put anyone on the ground.
If taking the Law into your own hands is trying to take the head of a lad on the field then I don't want to watch hurling an more. They was no need for it. Drumcullen were far from being dirty. the Ryan hit was the closest thing to be dirty from drumcullen. As for late challenges there was far more in the Kilcormac Killoughey match than in the Coolderry match.

I walk on the pitch on Sunday. it was in ok shape. not great.

I didn't think they was anyone who stood out over the weekend But Slevin was excellent on free's under pressure.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Michael Cleary stood out for me. I thought he had a massive game.

When central defenders were dropping like flies during the league, it didn't make sense that the Shinrone centre half-back wasn't on the County scene.
townman wrote:is there any player's that stood out this weekend who were not inthe county squad i take its an open panel and Sid and his backroom team will be watching the club championship for players who stand out or who have came into form.

yes surprise he didn't get a run in the league, he got 10 minutes again Galway in the Walsh cup but wasn't seen after, could have done with him with all the defenders out could have done with Colin Egan in the forward line .

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

I walk on the pitch on Sunday
Really Tox? Is that every Sunday you walk it? :wink:

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I was being lazy and crossed the pitch instead of going around to the stand at half time but in fairness i was on the phone and wasn't paying that much attention.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

A pity there has been a blanket cancellation of club matches involving the county hurlers this weekend – those County players could have done with the break that a week with their clubs would have brought.

Still, there are three IHC matches and plenty of Junior hurling matches.

In the Intermediate Championship, Shamrocks play Killurin in Kilcormac at 8pm tomorrow (Friday) evening. (I suspect, but can’t be sure Killurin beat Shamrocks last year – some eagle-eyed observer might clarify).

Then on Saturday evening St Rynagh’s Intermediates play their first match of the championship when they take on Carrig & Riverstown at 7pm in Lusmagh. The sides drew with each other in last year’s Round 2, ’Rynagh’s coming from seven points behind to force the draw, 1-12 (SR) to 2-9 (C&R). At the same time Ballyskenagh-Killavilla play Kilcormac-Killoughey in Clareen in a repeat of last year’s semi-final, a match K-K won 1-19 to 2-13.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Results for Kilcormac:

Shamrocks 3-25
Killurin 0-7.

Poor game but Shamrock scored some great points and got two very soft goals in the middle of the 1st half and killed the game off.
Kilurin were missing a few and it showed.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

While there was a massive gulf in class and in fitness, I was impressed with Shamrocks. They led 1-5 to 0-3 when I arrived and soon after scored two goals in the space of a minute to close the deal. Shamrocks played some good hurling, supporting the ball-carrier and playing the ball through the hands. They’ll improve as the championship progresses now.

Ciarán Buckley was a commanding presence throughout the first half, while Barry Kelly and Nigel Dunne looked dangerous throughout. Trevor Darcy looked fit and in form too, before being forced off with what I suspect is a bad knee injury. Their corner-back Cathal (I couldn’t catch his second name) caught the eye – not alone did he take up a good position to collect short puckouts but he hurled with his head up and looked to play intelligent passes. And they got some great ball to Brian Kearney, aided by some space-making off-the-ball movement. One point Kearney scored from the right-hand touchline, on the ’21 was an absolute beauty.

Killurin were minus Dwayne Dunne. The first half was torrid for them but they settled down after the break. Having settled they drew quite a number of frees during the second half. The centre half-forward (didn’t catch his name) caught some good ball and veteran goalkeeper Owen Dillon brought off a couple of good saves. The GAA is as much (and maybe more) about lads like Owen Dillon, who continue to be the lifeblood of small clubs, as it is about Munster finals and the like.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Doesn't look good for Killurin.

They where missing Dunne but Shamrocks where missing 4 or 5 of their better players ( Derek Molloy, Karl Mollen, Aiden Kidney, Jimmy Conway and Declan Conroy)

I think it will be between them and Lusmagh to go up.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Th ere are three IHC matches fixed for the coming days.

St Rynagh's finally get their campaign underway when they take on Carrig & Riverstown at Birr on Thursday evening (8pm).

Shinrone play Birr at Ballyskenagh on Friday evening, also at 8pm. These sides were in the same group last year and Shinrone won that one by 1-18 to 3-9.

At the same time at Moystown, Lusmagh are fixed to play Crinkill in what will be the first ever championship meeting of the 'first' teams of each club. I find it odd that this match has been fixed given that Seán Gardiner is an Offaly Senior panellist. Does this mean he is not in the running for selection against Antrim?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Lusmagh v Crinkill now appears to be on Sunday at 12 noon in Banagher.

I also see Coolderry face Ballyskenagh-Killavilla on Saturday at 3pm in Clareen (which is one I hadn't spotted earlier. Shinrone v Birr is still on tomorrow (Friday) evening.

And the Rynagh's Twitter feed is reporting that they were beaten by Carrig & Riverstown earlier this evening by 0-9 to 0-11. I hadn't expected that.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

I just had a quick look at the upcoming fixtures for the weekend. Birr and Shamrocks is fixed to be played in Clareen. That is hardly correct is it? Kilcormac I would imagine the obvious choice? Possibly a typo on the Offaly GAA website so just checking.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Kilcormac-Killoughey Intermediates are hurling St Rynagh's at the same time which would have ruled out Kilcormac as a venue for the Birr v Shamrocks match. Chances are the people who would open the gates, turn on the hot water, lock/unlock the dressing-room doors, do the jobs stewards do, and do linesmen at the match (and umpires too, if the appointed referees don't bring umpires) would want to go to support their own club.
timber wrote:I just had a quick look at the upcoming fixtures for the weekend. Birr and Shamrocks is fixed to be played in Clareen. That is hardly correct is it? Kilcormac I would imagine the obvious choice? Possibly a typo on the Offaly GAA website so just checking.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

timber wrote:I just had a quick look at the upcoming fixtures for the weekend. Birr and Shamrocks is fixed to be played in Clareen. That is hardly correct is it? Kilcormac I would imagine the obvious choice? Possibly a typo on the Offaly GAA website so just checking.
Neutral venue doesn't mean half way. I've lost count of the number of times rynaghs have played tullamore in OCP since it's redevelopment.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Kilcormac-Killoughey Intermediates are hurling St Rynagh's at the same time which would have ruled out Kilcormac as a venue for the Birr v Shamrocks match. Chances are the people who would open the gates, turn on the hot water, lock/unlock the dressing-room doors, do the jobs stewards do, and do linesmen at the match (and umpires too, if the appointed referees don't bring umpires) would want to go to support their own club.
Thanks POTH for confirming that it's not a typo so. Bit of a disaster all the same.
joe bloggs wrote:
Neutral venue doesn't mean half way. I've lost count of the number of times rynaghs have played tullamore in OCP since it's redevelopment.
Neutral does not mean half way i agree. Certainly not to the county board. Where to begin. I remember hurling Clareen in Crinkill a good number of years ago now. In fact most of the championship games were alot more the half way. I dont know if things will ever change.