Offaly hurlers to play Wexford

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Offaly hurlers to play Wexford

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I must say I like how our team is shaping up.
Brendan O'Meara looked to me to be the kind of no nonsense corner back that Offaly need.
What do others, who have seen him play more think?

Again I think it's our half back line and midfield that needs to be in top shape for the summer.
We have been way to slack here in the past.
High fielding is so important in the modern game, so I suppose we need taller players like Kevin Brady, Hanrahan and the Hanniffys to be at their best.
Also we need decent runners and players to cover the ground.
Gary Hanniffy is much happier with space to operate in.
Kilkenny and Cork have gone for tall and fast in recent years. We need to do similarly.

There will be a bit of switching of the forwards no doubt, but how will they perform as a unit?
A problem in recent times has been how our forwards can't win dirty ball.
Our defensive clearances keep getting driven straight back down on top of us, before we can regroup.
I really think we have had a good bunch of hurlers for a while, but the sum of all parts never seems to add up. With a good gameplan and a settled team positionally, then we can start to develop.

This is a game that is important to win. It would hopefully send out a message for the summer. It's time we put Wexford back in their box. Quite frankly I dislike a boorish element of their support. Lets bring back the days when they were merely a fly to swotted before we took on the Kilkenny wasp!

Remember Seamus Murphy dismissed Offaly and Down as also rans.
Lets shut him up this weekend and next June in Nowlan Park.

Team:
Breeder Mullins

Brendan O'Meara
Paul Cleary
David Franks

Dan Hoctor
Rory Hanniffy
Kevin Brady

Aidan Hanrahan
Gary Hanniffy

Dylan Hayden
Mick O’Hara
Joe Bergin

Brian Carroll
Brendan Murphy
Alan Egan

Kevin
All Star

Re: Offaly hurlers to play Wexford

Post by Kevin »

Agree that Wexford needs to be put in their place. It will be great when we beat them. 2X would be nice, but June 11th is all that matters. This game is huge for us. McIntyre will have in the back of his mind that he was sent packing after losing to Wexford before. he certainly won't want to be having that happen again. We will be ready.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I think we need to beat them for a few reasons - the last two times we played them in the championship, we arguably had the better of the game, and still came out on the wrong side. Certainly no results from either was a bit harsh. Likewise, losing last month in the Walsh Cup was no harm in and of itself, but getting in the habit of not winning close games is not a good thing - and seeing as I don't see us beating them out the gate, I'd attach a lot of importance to this game.

Having said all that, I'd go so far as to say I'd have a slight fancy for us here. Likewise, I like the way we're shaping up. Hoctor and Brady have seemingly been playing well for WIT, so they should be in good form at least, while there certainly plenty of life and scoring in that full forward line. As was mentioned, scrapping to hold up the ball in the forwards will be key.

Any reason why Oakley was dropped - I thought he was doing well?

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

MENTAL TOUGHNESS

that's what our team needs. it needs to get it and it need to use it

Kevin
All Star

Cordial

Post by Kevin »

I don't see his name listed either. Any reason other than lack of availability?

Loughers
All Star

Offaly v Wexford

Post by Loughers »

I think Ger is in hard luck but Rory shpuld be centre back and the other 2 wing backs are in form. What do ye make about Diggy being dropped? I though Hanrahan was excellent against Wexford until he went off injured. The lad has been used and discarded for years and deserves his chance. We owe Wexford this one. :twisted:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm not necessarily saying that Ger should be centre back - but it is a dubious call to say the least. It's harsh on him. Personally I would have left him there and played Rory on the wing, but that's just me - it's a close call.

While I have great time for Diggy as well, but in truth he hasn't been on top form, so I'd be inclined to say fair enough with that one.