Good start for hurlers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
BOG OAK
Junior B

Good start for hurlers

Post by BOG OAK »

Offaly 1-21 Cork 2-18
This was a very good game of hurling for Feb and you would have to be very happy with the stanard of hurling Offaly played. It was a game we should have won only for Mullins mistake for the Cork goal and Stephen Browne missing what would have being the winning point at the end of the Game.

Brian Mullins at fault for Corks second goal, corks first coming from a penalty. The full back line was very solid with David Franks putting in a man of the match performance.
Half back line also very good Rory Hanninffy was excellent Ger Oakley very steady and Kevin brady slow start settled in after a move to the far wing.
The midfield done very well Cordial being up to his usual standard and Gary Hanninffy putting in more work than in the last two years.
Half foward line not as noticable Brendan Murphy had a quiet second half and Mike o Hara was replaced. He did score two points from play but I don't think he will be a play maker which is what you want fom your centre foward.
The two corner fowards Brian Carroll and Alan Egan were excellent. Alan caused the cork backs nothing but trouble but there might be a concern regarding his size later in the championship. Brian's free taking was sharpe and was very good at creating space up front with three good points from play. Joe Bergin was in and out of the Game but definitely shows promise scored a great point from play and the Cork full back had a nightmare given away three frees after fouling Bergin.

Stephen Browne and Damien Murray came on with no time to shine However Stephen did miss a chance to win the game.

The game was played at a good pace and I certainly took heart from their performance. The have a great chance to qualify if they keep up the standard of todays hurling.
Cork brought on Tom Kenny John Gardiner and Brain Corcoran which shows how much Cork wre under pressure.

I didnt see the U21's on Sat but it is dissapointing how we are not able to progress in this level every year!!!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I didn't have the privilege of being there, but it seems like the optimism within the camp was well founded.

I won't comment on the game too much, but it was hugely encouraging because going by the media the rest of the country seems to really have written us off entirely.

Two things this weekend - first Seamus Murphy was being interviewed after Wexford lost to Waterford, and he was saying how it was a tough division, with games against Cork and Clare to come "and that's not being disrespectful to the likes of Offaly and Down".

And then there was Enda McEvoy in the tribune, ranking the counties - and he had us in at number ten, behind the aforementioned Down.

Nice to remind people that things ain't that bad.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

And then there was Enda McEvoy in the tribune, ranking the counties - and he had us in at number ten, behind the aforementioned Down.
Did he? He really needs to get over '98.
:lol:

Treasurer
All Star

Offaly v Cork

Post by Treasurer »

Bit early to get too excited, but a very heartening display nonetheless. Mullins was a bit unfortunate for the goal, ball came bobbling in on rough ground and deceived him.

What was the penalty for anyway??

Bally Boy
Junior C

Post by Bally Boy »

Dont know about the penalty, Ref called cleary over and ticked him. As for the mullins gol, it happens to the best of them, it was a pity because we were goin very well at the tim. One thing he will have to improve on is his puck outs, the were barely reaching half way in the second half which put awful pressure on our backs. Cusack was landing the ball on our 21 every time in the second half and on a number of occasions Cork scored from 2 pucks of a ball. Overall a good performance and things do look promising.

Kevin
All Star

Let 'em continue to write us off

Post by Kevin »

Wexford should know better, let them pile it on our guys can always use a little more incentive!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Offaly v Cork

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Played at what you’d call a competitive league pace, we had a good hours hurling in Birr yesterday, which could have gone either way in the wind-up.

Firstly, I don’t like Cork any more. I don’t like the way Sully bullies the referee at every decision. Ditto the way Donal Beag bullies the umpires at every chance. Just ‘cause you train harder than any hurler in history, ever, doesn’t entitle you to carry on like that. I can see shades of Clare 1998 and their attitude to the whole world creeping in.

As for the referee, I thought he actually had a good game. The penalty seemed harsh enough,Cleary and Murphy weren’t contesting the ball, though he was exact on pulling up on the act of pushing before the dropping ball had arrived. He did fall for some Cork theatrics in falling under moderate pressure, until Brian Carroll got smart and won some frees himself with similar falling.

While we drew with the all-Ireland champions yesterday, next Sunday’s game in Ballycran MUST be won. Down will be buoyed by Ballygalget’s good showing in the club semi-final recently, as well as Antrim’s win over Galway. 1997, 2001 and 2004 were each noted for the best performance of the year coming in the first round of the league, it was downhill after that.

Mullins varied his puck-outs well, and picked out a runner (often Hayden) when it suited. However, while a very quick puck-out is usually allowed following a wide, not so following a score, to allow the referee the chance to mark the score. Perhaps the timing of the run should be looked at, maybe not beginning the run until the referee has whistled.

Brian Carroll continues to improve as an attack leader. Indeed, his own team play has improved over the winter, and his pass off the hurl to the unmarked Bergin, which set up a goal-chance, was a highlight. I feel an outfield player should take the 65’s, though. Hayden did well throughout. Stephen Brown’s lack of a right-hand side came back to haunt him at the death. At this level it’s criminal for a hurler not to be equally comfortable on his right and left. Makes you wonder about the value of coaching, or are youngsters that stubborn nowadays?

Of the newcomers, Bergin had another fine game at full forward. Perhaps he could be given a start at 11 against Down, as he hurled well on Ronan Curran when moved here. Egan hurled well, and with the combination of low ball and Murphy playing further out the field got some room to gather and run. Still needs to be more direct. Cleary did well again at full back, and O’Meara did well despite pressure from Joe Deane. No-one played themselves off the team, and there were no candidates for ‘first to be taken off’, and its quite possible the same team will take the field against Down. With 3 tight matches to follow, a situation could arise where perhaps only 2 or 3 subs will be introduced with minimal changes made to the starting 15, leading to some disaffected panellists, similar to the situation Bertie Ahern finds himself in regarding his parliamentary party.

Incidentally, I don’t think I’ve ever seen 1-13 scored into the far (i.e. non-scoring) goal in Birr in league hurling before and I was disappointed the programme didn’t list scores from previous Offaly-Cork league encounters.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly v Cork

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Firstly, I don’t like Cork any more. I don’t like the way Sully bullies the referee at every decision. Ditto the way Donal Beag bullies the umpires at every chance. Just ‘cause you train harder than any hurler in history, ever, doesn’t entitle you to carry on like that. I can see shades of Clare 1998 and their attitude to the whole world creeping in.
That sounds like Scrappy Doo in the Clare goals.

Great reports lads.
I couldn't make along, but I had a feeling we'd give it a right good rattle.

Sully's an awful bollix and very over-rated. I'm hoping he gets cleaned out on the big stage in front of a full house. Looks like you're not alone in your opinion of Cork and Sully's carry on yesterday.
Tippman9 on http://www.premierview.ie posted the following.
"I attended the match in Birr yesterday. Very entertaining game. I expect Offaly's fitness was that much better than Cork's though.

Anyway, Cork got a penalty half-way thru the first half. Dubious to say the least. As soon as it became apparent to O'Sullivan that it was a penalty, he started walking from his half-back position towards the Offaly goal. Not only did he not even break into a trot, he strolled one-paced all of the one-hundred or so yards to the opposing 21 yard line (must have taken him 40-50 seconds), where he took the ball off Joe Deane who presumably thought he was going to take it. The Offaly cackles and jibes as he walked the walk had absolutely no effect him."

--

"His arrogance at the match yesterday was unbelieveable. He showed no respect to Offaly. I saw him laugh into the Offaly crowd a couple of times over shocking refereeing decisions in Cork's favour. He knew himself the frees were awarded harshly and he should have got on with the game without the need to provoke reactions from the Offaly support."

azoffaly
All Star

Cork Report

Post by azoffaly »

Hi Lads,

Sorry for the delay, I was up in Dublin working so couldn't get to an internet PC. Here is my belated musing on the game last weekend, it's not a match report per se....

Cheers

-----------------
Games like this are not supposed to happen in the month of February. Good hurling is not supposed to rear it’s head from the end of year slumber until well after the first daffodils have broken through the harsh ground, yet here in Birr yesterday was a game worthy of warmer days and longer evenings, and worthy of far bigger than the 3,000 spectators who braved the cold air to cast appraising glances over two teams with vastly differing expectations entering 2006 following diametrically opposed fortunes in the 2005. For Cork 2005 was another glorious celebration, as they added Munster and All-Ireland championship successes to an already glowing CV, while Offaly experienced an ‘annus horribilus’, losing to Carlow in Division 2 of the league, before a 31 point drubbing at the hands of Kilkenny on an eerie June day in Croke Park.

There is a significant body of opinion that would have us believe that the Kilkenny mauling was the nadir for this Offaly team, and that the rebirth of Offaly hurling is already in progress. More positive, and impressive, performances against Waterford and Clare reinforce that view, as does the fact that , despite that stunning reverse to Carlow, the Faithful county will be plying their trade in Division 1 this year. Games such as Cork in Birr, Clare in Ennis and Waterford in Birr are much better preparation for championship hurling than contests against Carlow, Westmeath and Kildare.

Yesterdays performance was pleasing from the ‘renaissance’ point of view, and while Cork were understrength slightly and probably undermotivated as well, it is easy to see why John McIntyre is a little more optimistic this year. Offaly seem to have concentrated on the ability to win primary possession, especially through the air, and Paul Cleary, Rory Hanniffy, Kevin Brady, Ger Oakley, Joe Bergin, Michael Cordial, Brian Carroll, Brendan Murphy and especially Gary Hanniffy all won great ball in the air with clean catches a la Kilkenny in their pomp. Assuming that this is a feature of their game which will endure in the white heat of Championship is possibly over-optimistic, but it is nonetheless a welcome addition to the skillset of this particular team, and will be an important factor in whether the team sinks or swims come the long evenings.

Brian Mullins had a steady game, although he will be disappointed with Joe Deanes goal which seemed to come off the turf with a strange hop, but other than that Mullins did very little wrong. His puckouts were intelligent, he swept up well, and even managed a 30 yard solo run in the second half which had the crowd on edge.

The positioning of Ger Oakley at centre back was a success yesterday, and with Kevin Brady and Rory Hanniffy either side of him, a potentially strong, dominating half back line is in the offing. Paul Cleary looks a bit ungainly at Full back, but experiencing division 1 standard full forwards will stand to him, and may see him mature into a Kevin Kinahan type. Kevin looked ungainly, but was always effective, and it would be a huge bonus for Offaly if Cleary could make strides in that direction.

David Franks and Brendan O’Meara had their dodgy moments, especially Franks in the first half, but to their credit they stook at it manfully, and Franks won some huge ball in the second half, bursting out with it like a smaller version of the Rock himself, playing at number 5 for Cork.
A fledgling midfield partnership of Michael Cordial and Gary Hanniffy had a promising outing, with Hanniffy the primary ball winner, especially in the air, and Cordial the prototype sweeper, hovering up a serious amount of breaking ball between the two 40s. Midfield was also the area where most of the clumsiness on show yesterday was centred. On multiple occasions both Offaly and Cork were guilty of poor striking from the ground, fluffed pick ups and losing their footing. This is an area of both sides games that will improve as the hurling work intensifies, the grounds dry up and the rusty touch returns.

In the forwards Brian Carroll hit an impressive 13 points, 11 from placed balls, but ironically he also missed 3 or 4 extremely scoreable frees as well. In open play he was a real handful for his marker, as were most of the Offaly forwards. Brendan Murphy and Dylan Hayden won quite a lot of important ball from puck outs, and tried to use the ball intelligently when in possession. Nice low diagonal ball helped the inside men cause havoc in the Cork defence, and again it must be assumed that this tactical development will be carried forward into the summer, which will make a relatively small forward line much more effective.

Mick O’Hara will not be especially pleased with his contribution, although he tried hard, and certainly adds another bit of physicality to a strong spine. It will be worth persisting with O’Hara at 11 for at least another few league games, as it would allow Gary Hanniffy to bed into midfield, and Joe Bergin to establish himself at full forward. Bergin has the tools to be a handful for any full back, especially when the ball is delivered in correctly to him, and Carroll and Egan fed off breaks from Bergin very well. The full forward also took his goal well following a great save by Cusack from Alan Egan.

Which brings us to the diminutive corner forward from Belmont. I have a vested interest here in that Alan is from my own club, but he was a breath of fresh air yesterday. He is small, and you would worry about him if a corner back got very physical with him, but on the other hand they have to catch him first. In the first half he gave Wayne Sherlock as torrid a half hour as that All Star defender has had in a long time. Scoring a couple of points and setting up a couple of others would be enough for any debutante normally, but Egan was a constant menace as the game developed, and was fouled for at least 3 or 4 of the scores that Carroll put on the board. On the whole a very promising introduction for the young man, and hopefully the injury he picked up towards the end of the game will not be serious at all.

Stephen Browne came on for Mick O’Hara, and slotted into full forward, pushing Bergin out to the 40. He was fairly anonymous, but had a chance to be a hero at the very end as he galloped through, but unfortunately he scooped a shot wide from a tight enough angle.

From Corks point of view, they will be happy with the draw, being short a few Newtownshandrum players of course, and with Sean Og unavailable as well. Nevertheless they had a strong side out, as befitting All Ireland champions, and the likes of Cusack, Sherlock, O’Sullivan, Curran, Niall McCarthy, the Kieran Murphys, Timmy McCarthy, Joe Deane along with Subs John Gardiner, Brian Corcoran and Tom Kenny will all feature heavily for the Rebels this summer. Joe Deane looked very lively, although Brendan O’Meara stuck to his guns and was unlucky with Deane’s goal. Timmy McCarthy got a fine point out on the right sideline in a strong first half performance, but was quieter in the second, while Ronan ??, at number 12 came into the game more in the second half as Rory Hanniffy seemed to tire a little. Diarmuid O’Sullivan had a good game at wing back and later centre field, but Offaly were determined to lay the body on him at every opportunity, in a fair manner, and we were treated to the unusual sight of the Rock losing possession a couple of times after fierce shoulders. Donal Og Cusack, to his credit, made some fine saves, and even the Offaly goal came as a result of the Cork defence failing to deal with a rebound after Cusack went full length to save Alan Egan’s drive.

All in all a very positive first step by Offaly, but it is only a first step. The big men at key positions of nos 3, 6, 9, 11, and 14 need to continue to grow into those positions, and the half back line and half forward line need to continue to win ball themselves. If that happens, and the little understandable failings of February are ironed out, then perhaps the Offaly revival is not that far away after all.

Here’s hoping.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Great stuff - even getting prosaic at the start - beautiful stuff. We'll get a Nobel prize for literature for this website yet!!

I don't think anyone's of the opinion that last weekend was anything more than a good start, but as you say it seemed pretty encouraging all over the field, and when you allow for the likes of Joe Brady, Kevin Brady, Barry Teehan and maybe even Sid to come back in, there's a lot of hope there.

Kevin Brady will be very interesting - he hasn't really inspired me up to this point, but he had another solid year for Coolderry last year, and by all accounts he was fantastic at centre back for WIT on Wednesday.

The high catching is crucial - that has been our downfall. That's one of the reasons why I think Mick O'Hara should be given time to grow into the centre forward role. Brian Carroll will get better at the frees as he starts to eliminate the nervy ones, and players like Murphy and Egan will only get better as the ground dries out.

Gary Hanniffy at midfield is something that I wouldn't really have expected, even allowing for it in Portlaoise last year against Clare, but all the same he does seem to add a bit of physical presence there. Jury's out on that one.

I don't get to see them again until the Wexford game, but dammit I'm looking forward to it ...... :D

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Lest ye all get carried away with all the football madness, Offaly hurl Wexford in Birr on Sahirday.

I know this means absoluely nothing, but Wexford haven't won on their last 5 league visits to Birr, their last win there was in 1972-73. If anything, it probably means they'll win now, because I went and dug out that nugget of information.

Of more relevanve is the recent "Welsh" Cup meeting at the same venue, and the need of a win to help steer clear of the relegation situation. I presume Darragh Ryan and David O'Connor will both feature in the Wexford defence, another step up in standard for messrs. Bergin & Egan.

And don't be going for goals, not with Fitzy in goal.