Eugene McGee's Recommendations

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
seamroga
Senior

Eugene McGee's Recommendations

Post by seamroga »

Unfortunately, I seem to have mislaid the recommendations drawn up by Eugene McGee and agreed by the County Board and the senior footballers which brought an end to the strike in late 2004. Would Lone Shark or anyone else be able to post them on this website so we could look over them and see if everything is in place - for better or worse.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Not sure if this is really specific enough, but anyway, it's taken from Unison back then ......

A former Offaly All-Ireland winning manager, Mr McGee sets out the main points of the agreement, as follows:

1. “A new set of guidelines to govern the Offaly senior panel's training and preparation which will bring Offaly into line with what is best practice in county team preparation at the present time.

2. “A comprehensive system is being brought in to ensure players, team management and Co. Board work as a united force in the best interests of Offaly football at all times. Two Liaison Officers, one of whom will be a selector, will ensure that good communications between the various parties are maintained throughout the season and any grievances will be dealt with expeditiously.

“The various items which were of concern to the players regarding training matters have been specifically resolved with the complete co-operation of Co. Board officers and players.

Thirdly, that “new terms for appointing team managers are to be introduced to make appointments for terms of three years with no review until the end of the year two. Senior team management will also have the option to be in charge of the Under-21 team.

4. “It is a crucial part of this agreement that the decision taken in August by Offaly Co. Board to establish an official Supporters Club is implemented as soon as possible. The successful implementation of the new systems can only be assured if substantial extra finance is raised on an ongoing basis to supplement normal County Board income.

“Offaly has TWO high profile senior teams to maintain and this requires much more finance than in counties with only one such team.

“This agreement specifies that at least 20 per cent of any funds raised by the Supporters Club should go towards developing underage football and hurling and it is the wish of the senior panel that the Supporters Club and the Co. Board will ensure that facilities for underage teams be upgraded as soon as is feasible.” Mr McGee added: “Personally, I want to thank the officials and players for their co-operation with me in difficult circumstances during recent weeks. It is my earnest wish that the solutions arrived at will herald a new era of stability and progress for Offaly football and hurling teams.”

Following discussions with the Offaly hurling panel, the agreement will also apply to hurling.