OFFALY Hurling 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Re: OFFALY Hurling 2014

Post by Observant 7 »

dubbiff wrote:Finally found out challenge game v Dublin was in Parnells at 1pm today which was great for me as I was driving past there at 1245!
Team was:
Slevin
Couhghlan Kelleher Wynne
Watkins Healion Doughan
Brady Parlon
Harding Currams Egan
Carroll Gardiner Connolly

Real winter stuff. Pitch looked as good as you could expect for this time of year but was very soft especially around the edges. Dublin seemed to have a second string out - didn't recognise too many of them. Half time score was Dublin 4g 4p Offaly 0g 8p which was not a fair reflection of the game as it was very even. Dublin scored goals from two 20m frees - a gale was behind the striker and a blinding sun in the defence's eyes so no fault there. The Offaly defence was under huge pressure with long clearances and huge puckouts dropping around the 13m line but coped very well. Brian Carroll scored 6 points (5f) and Currams and Connolly got the other 2.
The second half saw a raft of changes and I stopped counting subs after ten had come on. Offaly closed the gap fairly quickly and 2 goals put our noses in front - one of them a cracker from Coneeley. We were 3 up with 10mins to go and won by 4-10 to 2-17. Could have won by more but tried for too many monster points from outside halfway.
Couldn't read too much into this game because of conditions/fitness/substitutions but I did like the work rate from everyone and we seemed to have improved in our tackling. We didn't give away too many frees with silly mistakes although that could be down to the ref letting things go in the best challenge game tradition. He even offered to let the game go on for an extra 10mins but Daly (watching from the balcony) declined. Offaly definitely looked short of fitness but I suppose that is to be expected and I'm sure they'll be flying when conditions improve.
If Currams & Bergin impressed even a little in such terrible conditions in the past two matches- they are in for the running and would need another day out

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Are you a funny man Observant? We dont need another gobshite here to go with Trixi

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

both offaly players Bergin and Currams done well for leinster with Joe scoring 2 goals and Currams 3 points after coming off the bench.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Are you a funny man Observant? We dont need another gobshite here to go with Trixi
Athníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile....!!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

it seems that Shane Dooley,Colin Egan,Dan Currams, Conor Mahon, Sean Ryan, wont be Duel players
and have throwing their lot in with the hurlers for 2014, other good new Rory Hanniffy is back on board for 2014. :D

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Best of luck to the lads with the hurling, although disappointed that Mahon hasnt given the football a chance. Its clear that he could offer a lot more to this than the hurling. But I think all round its the best decision for the individuals involved in terms of being able to deliver more effective performances.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Best of luck to the lads with the hurling, although disappointed that Mahon hasnt given the football a chance. Its clear that he could offer a lot more to this than the hurling. But I think all round its the best decision for the individuals involved in terms of being able to deliver more effective performances.
Generally speaking, I would welcome lads picking one sport, I just don't think it's feasible in the modern era, particularly when it's so important to be fully up to speed with systems and tactics. I would disagree with the view on Conor Mahon though. He might never be a stylish striker of the ball in the mould of any of the members of the management team, but that doesn't mean he's not effective. He spoiled Michael Brick completely in the championship last year and it was only when he was moved off him that Brick went on to turn the game in Waterford's favour. I'm not saying I'd make him a guaranteed starter or anything, but I definitely think he has a lot to offer the hurlers, at least as much as he does to the footballers.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Lone Shark wrote:
Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Best of luck to the lads with the hurling, although disappointed that Mahon hasnt given the football a chance. Its clear that he could offer a lot more to this than the hurling. But I think all round its the best decision for the individuals involved in terms of being able to deliver more effective performances.
Generally speaking, I would welcome lads picking one sport, I just don't think it's feasible in the modern era, particularly when it's so important to be fully up to speed with systems and tactics. I would disagree with the view on Conor Mahon though. He might never be a stylish striker of the ball in the mould of any of the members of the management team, but that doesn't mean he's not effective. He spoiled Michael Brick completely in the championship last year and it was only when he was moved off him that Brick went on to turn the game in Waterford's favour. I'm not saying I'd make him a guaranteed starter or anything, but I definitely think he has a lot to offer the hurlers, at least as much as he does to the footballers.
I would rather Mahon playing hurling as I think he would have way more to offer, he is a work horse at midfield or centre forward , whilst he may not score much he is well able to catch the small ball and create scores. He did a great job on Maher from Tipp one year to , winning high ball and keeping him out of the game. He has also been one of the main reasons for K/K success in hurling over the past couple of years. The way the sport is gone now its to hard to play the two codes as they are played more or less at the same time of year week in week out and the fitness levels are a huge ask for any player to play the both.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

kingscounty wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:
I would rather Mahon playing hurling as I think he would have way more to offer, he is a work horse at midfield or centre forward , whilst he may not score much he is well able to catch the small ball and create scores. He did a great job on Maher from Tipp one year to , winning high ball and keeping him out of the game. He has also been one of the main reasons for K/K success in hurling over the past couple of years. The way the sport is gone now its to hard to play the two codes as they are played more or less at the same time of year week in week out and the fitness levels are a huge ask for any player to play the both.
40,000th post!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Agree with the above posters on Mahon btw. I think people often overlook the ball he wins and the forward momentum he gives and instead focus on the end product, which he doesn't always deliver.
A different centre forward might get beaten to every ball and it wouldn't be noticed by the "Arra, take him off ta fcuk" crows in the stand.
Go back to 2009 vs. Cork in Tellamore where he cleaned out Ronan Curran in the air, which I never remember anyone else doing.
There is a platform to built off and a good attacking gameplan could be refined to make the most of it.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Agree with the above posters on Mahon btw. I think people often overlook the ball he wins and the forward momentum he gives and instead focus on the end product, which he doesn't always deliver.
A different centre forward might get beaten to every ball and it wouldn't be noticed by the "Arra, take him off ta fcuk" crows in the stand.
Go back to 2009 vs. Cork in Tellamore where he cleaned out Ronan Curran in the air, which I never remember anyone else doing.
There is a platform to built off and a good attacking gameplan could be refined to make the most of it.
Tell me more aboutTellamore, is it a lost city of the Midlands?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

SearingDrive wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:Agree with the above posters on Mahon btw. I think people often overlook the ball he wins and the forward momentum he gives and instead focus on the end product, which he doesn't always deliver.
Tell me more aboutTellamore, is it a lost city of the Midlands?
I'd say forgotten about more than lost!

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Bord na Mona man wrote: 40,000th post!
Congratulations.
Although I'm not fully sure of the protocol for celebrating such an event.
Anyway, I made you a card nonetheless.
Attachments
IMG_20140213_090037.jpg
IMG_20140213_090037.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 10105 times

Bord na Mona man
All Star

High School Musical wrote:
Congratulations.
Just to clarify that it was kingscounty who had the 40,000th post and that I had the 40,001th post noting this event.
I'm not sure how he is celebrating it though. A quiet glass of Burgundy most likely.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
High School Musical wrote:
Congratulations.
Just to clarify that it was kingscounty who had the 40,000th post and that I had the 40,001th post noting this event.
I'm not sure how he is celebrating it though. A quiet glass of Burgundy most likely.[/quote 40,000th , well id just like to thank my family , friends , all the posters on here and of course GOD , and finally HSM for that lovely card , BNM told me wants one for posting 40,001 post :D