OFFALY Hurling 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kinnittyman
All Star

Re: OFFALY Hurling 2014

Post by kinnittyman »

The starting team against Westmeath was
1. James Dempsey
2. Dermot Mooney
3. Sean Coughlan
4. Niall Wynne
5. Del Morkam
6. Ger Healion
7. Brian Watkins
8. Cathal Parlon
9. Kevin Brady
10. Colin Egan
11. Conor Mahon
12. Daniel Currams
13. Brian Carroll
14. Sean Gardiner
15. Stephen Quirke.

Carroll got 0-05 in the first half out of our 0-06. 0-03 from play and 0-02 from frees which were both won by Stephen Quirke.

Still I wouldn't have him on first 15 come summer as his off the ball work rate / tackling is nowhere near good enough. The best advice I would give anyone is to compare the two Geraghtys to Brian Carroll for work rate. Chalk and cheese. Might get scores for you when game opens up in last third. Could be effective as impact sub as is still very accurate off the left. Actually is it just me or has he completely given up using his right side over the last couple of years?

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

I seem to remember the same Brian Carroll scoring 13 points against ye in the championship last year. He struck a few sweet ones off his right that evening. It wasnt until the last 10 minutes the kinnitty mentors made a switch. When the horse was well and truely gone.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Your point is?

I said I didn't think Brian Carroll should be on the Offaly team. I gave my reasons why.

So I gave my opinion and you try to turn it into a slagging match over Kinnitty / Coolderry.

What would your argument be if say, somebody from Kilcormac said the same?

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

No point arguing lads. We wont know how it pans out until we meet laois in the league. I do think that quirke must start at corner forward

coola boola
Junior C

Post by coola boola »

King Kev wrote:I seem to remember the same Brian Carroll scoring 13 points against ye in the championship last year. He struck a few sweet ones off his right that evening. It wasnt until the last 10 minutes the kinnitty mentors made a switch. When the horse was well and truely gone.
ye he scored one point off his right already and spent 2 minutes shouting about it after!!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Serious competition for the number 13 jersey there. Barring injury, Shane Dooley will play in the position in June, but that is also the favoured position of Carroll, Currams and now Quirke. I don't think Carroll has 'given up' on his right side, but he has never really expanded his range of strokes beyond that 'overarm' type of stroke that seemingly only he seems to use when striking off his right. Perhaps hurling further out the field has something to do with him not having to use his right side.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Serious competition for the number 13 jersey there. Barring injury, Shane Dooley will play in the position in June, but that is also the favoured position of Carroll, Currams and now Quirke. I don't think Carroll has 'given up' on his right side, but he has never really expanded his range of strokes beyond that 'overarm' type of stroke that seemingly only he seems to use when striking off his right. Perhaps hurling further out the field has something to do with him not having to use his right side.
don't leave out Kevin Connolly who hurl two good games in the Walsh cup and was very good again Galway. Dooley would be first choice for the number 13 jersey, but if he was moved to half forward line you would have a number of players for the left corner forward poistion. i think Currams chance will be at fullforward.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

parlon and brady were the the midfield in the 1st half. i saw that at half time and forgot it. both came off at half time. G Connelly and Egan or Kilmartin can on at half time( the two have white helmet so it hard to tell them apart sometimes.)Parlon new helmet mislead me, haven't seen him in Green and yellow before. Quirke was in a black helmet would normal think of him in a yellow.

I it great to have so many Good hurlers fighting it out for positions. Currams is a good midfielder as well he might be use in that position.

Sorry to hear about Del. AC injury are sort as hell. Best of luck to him on the road to recovery.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Toxicity234 wrote:parlon and brady were the the midfield in the 1st half. i saw that at half time and forgot it. both came off at half time. G Connelly and Egan or Kilmartin can on at half time( the two have white helmet so it hard to tell them apart sometimes.)Parlon new helmet mislead me, haven't seen him in Green and yellow before. Quirke was in a black helmet would normal think of him in a yellow.

I it great to have so many Good hurlers fighting it out for positions. Currams is a good midfielder as well he might be use in that position.

Sorry to hear about Del. AC injury are sort as hell. Best of luck to him on the road to recovery.
couldn't see Currams as a midfielder don't think he has the fitness for it, we would need him near the goal as thats where he is best. midfield is a problem at the moment for the county team any word on Hanniffy.

Troy boy
Junior B

Post by Troy boy »

Wheres offaly dublin game on at the weekend?

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

any news on whether r hanniffy p cleary and d horan are going to hurl for offaly this summer?? what about d hayden is he excluded or injured??
there all good hurlers it would be great to have them pushing for places on the team .

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

i think currams should be used at wing forward his a good tackler great work rate and has pace to run at defences .
which could open room for s dooley j bergin and s quirke or t geraghty inside.
j rigney d morkam d kenny c egan c mahon d currams s dooley j bergin will in my opinion be on the first 15 if fit in june .
what do ye think ?
would all 8 start if everyone was fit and well .
if r hanniffy and d horan are fit and on the panel would they start too .
is there 10 better hurlers in the county right now ?????

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

All of the lads gave a good account of themselves in the league. Peter geraghty should start wing forward. He has a touch of class about him
1) Dempsey
2) McDonald
3) Kenny
4) Rigney
5) Del
6) Watkins
7) Mooney
8) Mahon
9) Kilmartin
10) Egan
11) Bergin
12) P Geraghty
13) Dooley
14) Currams
15) Quirke

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

With a second and third team of
C. Slevin - Clancy

N. Wynne - michael Cleary
G. Helaion - Paul Cleary
D. Horan - D. Kelleher

S. Ryan - D. King
D. Shorrtt - S. Couglhan
S. Gardiner - P. Camon

G. Haniffey - C. Doughan
K. Brady - Gary Conneely

C. Slevin - Sean Dolan
D. Molloy - Damien Egan
Tom Carroll - Barry Harding

Brian Carroll - Kevin Connelly
C. Parlon - Paddy Mullins.
T. Geraghy - S. Cleary.

and i still haven't used Eanna and paddy murphy. Dylan hayden, Stephen Egan, Colm Coughlan or Mark Egan.

But the real plus is that in almost every position there is a player pushing for a place. It great to see.
I think Connelly could push his way into midfield. need to be more aggressive in his play but the more games he plays the better he get.
IS Molloy gone off the panel? Slevin will have a big job getting into this Offaly Team but he still has something to Offer to the squad.
Kelleher will want that full back spot. Thomas Geraghty will be pushing for one of the comer forward positions as will Kevin Connelly. Niall Wynne has being great a corner back of far this year mcdonald will have to watch his back.
Lots of good questions this year?
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Post by Observant 7 »

This is a great site for everyone to choose their team.

Offaly Management won't have any problem in making decisions with such back up and you did not mention all the great hurlers around the county who have not been called up yet

Who is the management for U21?