Offaly county team managements 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly county team managements 2014

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Best of luck to Brian. He'll start off with huge respect from the players and that'll be a help to get him moving. He always struck me as a sensible head and not one prone to polemicy.
He played hurling with his brain. The manner in which he always looked to play an intelligent ball, even when under severe pressure. I'd be surprised if he sent out his teams to pull and whip like mad men.

It's a tough gig with the likes of Leix now closing in on Offaly. For the last 10 years, an Offaly manager simply had to stay ahead of Antrim and Leix and he wasn't a failure. A win over Wexford or Limerick was a measure of success. Those old certainties are no longer there.

There is potential there too. Most of us here are of the opinion that there is more to be harvested from this current crop of players.
Dublin, Clare, Limerick, Cork, Waterford and Wexford all got significant fill ups in 2013. Offaly were left out. Yet we're not a million miles off these sides and any Offaly player should be looking at 2014 as a year to throw down a marker.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

This appointment holds a lot of appeal, ticking a lot of boxes along the way.

Such is the respect held for Brian by his former playing colleagues that there is unlikely to be any backbiting or nibbling by any who may feel they were overlooked for the position. Brian was going to get the position at some stage of his life – why not now?

There are no obvious connections to the Brewery Tap either, that I am aware of. BW never went out of his way to cultivate an image of himself as being anything other than what he was. And you don’t hear stories of a legacy of sneaky strokes being administered on the field by Brian (or Barry or Simon either).

A good appointment for the Board too. There were few, if any, alternatives within the county. And another appointment from outside, something like Ollie Baker, would have been greeted with derision – with travelling up from Clare and Limerick being manageable from a logistics viewpoint, I’m thinking Gary Kirby or Ciarán Carey or the like. As he process dragged on and the silence grew deafening I was starting to think John McIntyre might be coming back! Good God!

Such is the respect in which BW is held, I wonder is Rory Hanniffy more likely to give it one more year, and would Shane Dooley be more likely to concentrate on hurling while putting the football alternative on hold? I wonder would Diarmuid Horan be persuaded to stay this side of the Atlantic. Yet I get the impression he would be demanding at the same time. A good mix.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Delighted

Great hurler and seems to be a gent ( have never met him but watched in awe many times).

Lets hope all , players, officials & fans give 100% support

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Could be a good move and he would be most genuine in his reasons for doing the job.... however the chance of success and progress still rests entirely with the county board.... and they will be totally dependent on the support team around Whelehan......

Will they surround him with modern thinking hurling people as selectors....
will they provide him with the qualified coaching personnel with a background in hurling that will be required to bring the group forward....ie; a good skills coach, physical trainer, nutrition support, strength and conditioning expert, statistical analysis support, sport psychology support..... That is leaving out kitmen etc and lads to do the small little tasks that get buy in from players....

If any of these areas are left out, then we are behind the likes of Laoise and Westmeath in our preparation, let alone Kilkenny Galway or Dublin......... if it happens and the best players buy in, we have a great chance of doing something as we have the best squad potential just now since the mid nineties in my opinion..... My opinion would be that Whelehan will have to bargain and compromise himself on getting all of the above at the ultimate expense of success..... This will be the key.....

The time is now....
jimbob

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

The headline below probably says it all.

I was waiting to hear from the man himself on his intentions and I like what I am reading in this article. I like the fact that he made a plan during the summer to get involved in county management at some level so his acceptance of the job was not one made in haste or without the support of those around him. I have to say I feared the worst following the Michael Duignan fiasco but the selection committees have, to their credit, decided upon a leader who the players and supporters can all unquestionably get behind.

Brian has connections to some of the best inside and outside the county so it will be intriguing to see what the management team will look like.

In terms of how we measure improvement and progress under his tenure, if he can turn us into 70-minute performers, that in my view would be a very successful appointment.

Here hoping this will be the next stage of a fantastic career.

Whelahan aims to restore 'self-belief'

25 October 2013

In the summer of 1989, Brian Whelahan was a minor hurler who made a surprise senior debut in Offaly's shock All-Ireland semi-final defeat to Antrim.

More than 24 years later, the two-time Hurler of the Year has gone from being a candidate to take charge of the county's minor team to being named as senior manager in the space of a few weeks.

"I had planned to get involved in some capacity during the summer and after it became known that John (Leahy) was not going to go forward for a third term as minor hurling manager, I was approached and began putting a plan together for that role," he said.

"I had a lot of the work done when Padraig Boland sounded me out about the senior job and I had to consider it.

"I spoke with my family, who were very supportive, as always. Mary (his wife) really helped me to make up my mind when she said that I might never get this chance again."

Fresh from the announcement late on Wednesday night, Whelahan (above) is looking forward to the challenge and has already set about putting his back-room team in place.

"I am delighted and excited to be given this opportunity. Obviously when you finish playing, the next step is coaching and managing teams.

"It has always been an ambition to come back and manage Offaly, and to be given that opportunity now... I am thrilled."

Changing the mindset of the Offaly players will be one of the new manager's main priorities .

"For the last few years we've been well able to compete with teams for 45 or 50 minutes but when it comes to the last quarter, for whatever reason, we've fallen short.

"I want to change that and I'll be putting my back-room team in place with that in mind. I want people who have real determination, who can communicate with players and who can help them to display the kind of self-belief that has been missing from Offaly hurling for the last 10 or 12 years."

Whelahan, who has had spells managing Camross in Laois and Kiltormer in Galway, is relishing the challenge.

"I'm confident in my ability to do the job well. The support structures and management team that will be put in place will play a big role," he said.

Whelahan had an outstanding career as a player, and is arguably Offaly's greatest hurler, with two All-Ireland senior medals, two at minor level and four All Star awards, as well as four All-Ireland club titles and 12 county championship successes with his beloved Birr.
Having had so much success with Birr, Whelahan, who was the only modern-day hurler to be selected on the Team of the Millennium, draws positives from the exploits of both Coolderry and Kilcormac/Killoughey, who won Leinster club titles in 2011 and 2012 respectively.
"I think there are great hurlers in Offaly – the success of Coolderry and Kilcormac-Killoughey in recent years proves that. I want to get the county team to push on and to share that belief," he stressed.

"One of my first tasks will be to talk to the players, including those with long-term injuries like David Kenny and Shane Dooley. I will also be meeting players who weren't available for one reason or another with a view to getting them on board in the best interests of Offaly hurling."

Whelahan will follow in his father's footsteps once his appointment is ratified – Pat Joe Whelahan took charge of the Faithful County back in 1989.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Best of luck to Brian.

Interesting appointment but vital that he gets the support of the right men around him. Whats vital though is that real thought goes into the minor mgt, and that there is a link to U21 & Senior in terms of preparation, planning and follow through. We need Brian use his influence within and throughout the county to get real stong team of people onboard, and obviously connections outside the county.

He faces a task that is new to him though and time and patience will be required on both sides of the fence.

Anyone spoken to any of the players and got their thoughts? And as important, some of the guys who did not feature this year?

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

[quote="Plain of the Herbs"] There are no obvious connections to the Brewery Tap either, that I am aware of. quote]

Can someone explain to me what this means ??? I've seen a couple of similar comments before and I often wondered what people meant.....

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

My first comment on this website as i never really bothered joining but always had a look at what some had to say so said id give my pennys worth as im a keen offaly supporter and think iv a good knowledge of hurling and a bit of football too :D .look nobody ever underestimated sids ability as a hurler but the question pops up why oh why would we put in a 3rd manager with no real experince as a manager.joe and ollie were in the same boat and to be honest i think both of them made no real progress and anyone who says otherwise needs there head examined.we needed someone who has brought success to teams and been there and done it and was up to date with whats going on now in the game...im not sure if sid has all that.look maybe he has but what im trying to get at its another gamble by a joke of a county board who only have there jobs because noone else wants them.maybe im been harsh and maybe im wrong but i think its just another x hurler instead of getting someone that has done it and people are sure that hes the right man for the job..alot of people seem to going with there heart more than there head this tme.Remember sid only got the job beacause the five or so others didnt want it...and if u have a commitee a good commitee in place they would of got there man not go down the list to a man was taking the offaly minor job a few days ago.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

babsandbond wrote:the question pops up why oh why would we put in a 3rd manager with no real experince as a manager.joe and ollie were in the same boat and to be honest i think both of them made no real progress and anyone who says otherwise needs there head examined.
A proven manager from outside the county is going to cost a fair whack. Money which we don't have.
There isn't a huge pool of blue chip managers to choose from when you think about. Every manager you look at will be a punt of some sort.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Any word on who his selectors are yet? I think we need to forget about who we could have got now, we need to get behind Sid and push on. One thing I am sure he has is a winning mentality , 2 All Irelands, 4 All stars, 12 club championships the list goes on, of the managers out there today id say they wouldn't come close to him with his record on the playing field. I know this does not mean he will transfer this to management but I am a lot happier this year than I was 3 year ago when Ollie Baker got the job.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

kingscounty wrote:Any word on who his selectors are yet? I think we need to forget about who we could have got now, we need to get behind Sid and push on. One thing I am sure he has is a winning mentality , 2 All Irelands, 4 All stars, 12 club championships the list goes on, of the managers out there today id say a lot wouldn't come close to him with his record on the playing field. I know this does not mean he will transfer this to management but I am a lot happier this year than I was 3 year ago when Ollie Baker got the job.

The Bogman
Junior B

Post by The Bogman »

kingscounty wrote:Any word on who his selectors are yet? I think we need to forget about who we could have got now, we need to get behind Sid and push on. One thing I am sure he has is a winning mentality , 2 All Irelands, 4 All stars, 12 club championships the list goes on, of the managers out there today id say they wouldn't come close to him with his record on the playing field. I know this does not mean he will transfer this to management but I am a lot happier this year than I was 3 year ago when Ollie Baker got the job.
Whether it will have a bearing on who the senior selectors are going to be I can't tell you. But the two selectors on the BW ticket for the minor job were Hubert Rigney and Pat O'Connor

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

What benefit will it be to the county in the long run for Sid to jump straight into the senior management? Best of luck to him and whoever else comes on board.

Surely there is a need to get stable management in place at minor and under 21 level and create an avenue to mould future potential native managers?

Changes also needed in the way managers are brought through from under 15 - minor.

And others have alluded to the lack of facilities for our county squads.
only the best...

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

this could be the start of something good, best of luck Sid your one of ours :wink:
i also hear ex tipp and Nenagh hurler Micheal Skippy Cleary could be coming on Board.

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

townman wrote:this could be the start of something good, best of luck Sid your one of ours

Agree wholeheartedly 'townman' syd is one of our own and I hope the whole county piles in behind him. Offaly have enough knockers outside the county we all need to get behind our own and let the players feel the positivity about this appointment. I cant wait for the new year and matches and hopefully see a few new faces on the panel!

The seniors gain is the minors loss and lets hope the county board appoint the right man for the minor team!