Amateur or Professional

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
thepassionofchristy
Junior C
Club: countyman

Amateur or Professional

Post by thepassionofchristy »

with all the talk in recent years regarding the preparation of teams and how professional it all is we are constantly reminded of how important the amateur ethos is so important to the gaa. why then have we a case where the munster football championship is seeded purely on monetary terms. To me it makes no sense at all and we are depriving the likes of tipperary limerick waterford and clare the opportunity of a big day out which could be hugely beneficial in the developement of football in their county. Interestingly with tipps emergence at minor and under 21 level in recent years will this seeding system have a direct impact on any promising dual players and which path their likely to take.
I understand the one sided nature of matches that took place this year but i dont see how this action will close the gap in any way and in my opinion is purely for financial purposes. year on year the demands put on players is increasing in an amateur sport yet decisions are made that are far from the 'amateur ethos' of the gaa.

Muck Savage
All Star

Re: Amateur or Professional

Post by Muck Savage »

Another interesting question is, if either Kerry or Cork are beaten in the Semi-final this year and say we end up with a Limerick-Kerry final - are they the two teams kept apart the following year?
HQ keep talking about development in Football and hurling but not delivering. In hurling it's the new league format that is being looked at. Again, more of the top team playing more games which means more money.
If there were recording from inside the meeting rooms there I'm sure "Give us the moolah" is a common term.