RTE commentary

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

RTE commentary

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

What are yer thoughts after the All Ireland semi final yesterday with Mayo playing some other team?

Carney was a pure cringefest all through, and I found myself hoping for a Tyrone win by half time!
Some examples, Boyle (Mayo No 7) came up the field and was pulled for overcarrying , Carney protested saying he had been pushed, but clearly missed , even on the replay the fact that Boyle hopped the ball twice.
The goal before half time, Deegan had blown for the free and Joe McMahon pulled out of the tackle on Freeman, so the goal may not have came.
The penalty was not a penalty, and there was minimal protest over that from Marno? This was no doubt a crucial turning point, and while they may have gone on to win the game anyway, Mayo may certainly not have kicked on to the degree that they did.
They also failed to pick up on the amount of cynical fouling that Mayo engaged in yesterday. Apparently they have the highest amount of fouls committed of all the 4 semifinalists, (up to yesterday), and yet this is strange as they won their previous games by a canter?
Plus with regard to the psycology of the whole thing, Horan has been banging on about how they have worked so hard on the tackle over the winter, and maybe they have, but the media have bought this unchallenged. If so much work has gone in, then how come they have committed so many fouls? 2 yellow cards in a few minutes for neck high challenges.
Work has gone into the tackle all right with the instruction to foul in a manner that looks like an attempted tackle, and in the right area of the field.

They are not unusual in this regard but fair play to Horan for his cleverness on this, and media yet again buy it.

In fairness, camera went to Stephen O'Neill limping off injured and the lads were still harping on on the "push" on Boyle, they only commented on it when they saw the sub running on.

All you want is a bit of balance, which they are paid to give, plus some tactical awareness, advice, put Carney down on the sideline where he can cheer Mayo/Donegal on, and let Joanne Cantwell co commentate!
Fair play to Mayo, would like to see them win an All Ireland, but please God dont let us have Carney on All Ireland final day!

Daleamar
County player

Re: RTE commentary

Post by Daleamar »

Agree with you, Carney is brutal to listen to, Kevin Mc Stay should be there. He speaks sense and not from the heart. He is a Mayo man but I think hes capable of unbiased opinions. Carney sounds even worse when paired with Marty, who is too fond of giving his opinion rather than doing his job.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Well said, I agree with most of those points there.

I don’t think its fair to have a co-commentator do a game when his own county is involved.
One incident in particular struck me yesterday. It was when Donal Vaughan was rounded out on the right hand side (cant remember by who) with about 10 mins left I think, but Vaughan just stuck out his arm and pulled the Tyrone player down by the jersey. There was no yellow card given, nor was it even mentioned by the RTE commentary team. A cynical move such as that surely merited a yellow card. Maybe Karma came back to bite Tyrone yesterday, I don’t know. While I’m not particularly disappointed for them as possess some of the most cynical players in the game, such as the despicable Conor Gormley, I am disappointed with the media coverage and how it may find its way into the psyche of the referee, for example. I think Tyrone might have been refereed a little more severely than Mayo.
I agree with you on the disallowed Mayo goal too. Free or not, the whistle went quite early, I heard it myself. I think the Tyrone defense heard it too and definitely paused a moment, while Pascal McConnell made a very half-arsed attempt at trying to save Freemans shot. In the end, it didn’t really matter though I suppose.

I don’t know if you happened to switch over to BBC at any point? I flicked back & forth a few times. While their commentary team of Mark Sidearse (worse than Marty by referring to players by some local nickname) and Oisin McConville is quite simply the worst combination of ‘characters’ to be ever given the freedom of access to a microphone, their studio panel of McGuiness, McGeeney and McHugh were quite refreshing to listen to. Maybe I was more interested in listening to them due to the relevance of them (2 out of 3 anyway) in modern-day Gaelic Football. Tactically, the guys know exactly whats going on. I had to laugh at Brolly yesterday, his back-tracking on Tyrone knows no bounds. He jumps between both ends of the love them – hate them spectrum. At half-time yesterday he suggested that Tyrone were in the ascendency. While they may have been when they were 7 points to 3 up, for me the important factors at half-time were that Tyrone had been in the ascendancy and very much in charge, yet they allowed Mayo to kick the last 3 scores of the half and only go in a point down when they had been well & truly outplayed in the majority of areas on the field. For Mayo to be only one point adrift knowing that they had played so poorly must have been a very strong mental position to be going into half-time with. Similarly, from Tyrones point of view, it must have been fairly disheartening to be going back into the dressing room at half-time with only a one point lead knowing that Mayo had yet to really get out of the blocks yet.
Now I know its all only opinion, but my opinion was very different than that of Joe. Of course it is easy for me to say this now in hindsight, but it is/was my genuine opinion.

I really hope Mayo go on and win the All-Ireland now. But if its Dublin that they end up playing, it’ll be interesting to see where the media hype goes. Normally that’s always Dublin, but this year there has been a lot of hype about Mayo, ever since they destroyed Galway in the first round of the Connacht championship.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

I agree with the main Commentary comments. Carney is not impartial, and does miss details. Marty is not as bad as Ger Canning (who I cant stand at all) as Marty does manage to show a bit of enthusiasm for the game. But he can be too patronising at times too. I did flick over to BBC a few times, but their crew in the box were similarly biased towards Tyrone.

I might be going out on a limb here but I actually did agree with the penalty decision and, more to the point, I can fully understand why the ref gave it. Both players were on a full sprint towards the goals and the ref would have been trying to keep up and watch the contact between them. Only after he would have seen the foul contact, then he would have had to switch his view down to try to work out where the offence happened. By that moment, they were well inside the penalty area, so ....... No ref has freeze-frame video replay to call on. He has to make a judgement call. And I am delighted that the forward got the benefit of the doubt, if there was any. I had little doubt.

I didn't watch much of either channel's pundits afterwards. Did anyone compare Carlin's lack of cynical foul on Boyle with the famous Cavanagh "tackle" of a few weeks ago? Was Carlin wrong not to have tried to drag Boyle down out at the 20 metre line? He shouldn't do it, and the game rules should not facilitate him doing it without serious sanction.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Agree with views on commentary; one point that wound me up a bit was the ref bashing- granted Deegan made some baffling calls, I didn't think there was a foul, let alone a penalty for that incident (Spillane nearly had a seizure complaining Deegan was 25 yards behind the play; what does he expect, the ref to be right beside the ball at all times- Jack Caffrey will be the only ref in the country so!!!) but what really got me was Aidan O Shea taking out Colm Cavanagh, he led with the arm and caught Cavanagh in the throat; not a mention of it at halftime, and as far as I know, nothing on the Sunday game. I thought it was a horrendous act, and O Shea himself was rattled after it, his next delivery went straight to an unmarked Tyrone man. If it had been the other way round?!!

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Anyone any thoughts on how Horan appears to have played a very clever game in talking about how they have "worked" on the tackle and yet they give away more frees than anyone else?

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Nightmare on Sunday. Marty Morrissey and Marty Carney to lead to line!??? Hopefully RTE will see sense and cut out this monopoly and have a proper commentry team. In fact regardless of the teams involved, I would not have Carney on board. He completely misjudges the game and has an inbuilt bias against certain players and teams.
Best of luck to both teams on Sunday, really looking forward to this game. Like the hurling, its hard to call, but I think it is Mayo's time , and who could begrudge them? Well if we are subjected to Carney for 75mins my views may change!!

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

You're dead right, Carney is absolutly painful to listen to. In fairness Mayo have waited a long time to win the All-Ireland and no one could begrudge this All-Ireland, but between listening to him, James Horan, this 'Mayo For Sam' champaign on twitter and I others I find myself not really caring who wins. In all fairness, how is having Carney co-commentating non-biased commentary, doesn't make sense to me.