team for championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the rat
All Star

team for championship

Post by the rat »

having seen two of the o'byrne cup games and the league game against cork, this would be my side for the game against westmeath.

1.kelly.
2.keane.
3.sullivan.
4.casey.
5.mooney
6.brady
7.slattery
8.n.coughlan
9.a.mcnamee
10.kelleghan
11.mcmanus
12.l.mooney
13.quinn
14.n.mcnamee
15.j.coughlan

quinn playing as a third midfeilder. any thoughts?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Hmm..... not sure I'm really qualified to say as much this year, seeing as I've missed a good few of the games this year, but even so, I'd disagree with a good few of those calls.

Keane is wasted in corner back when his size would be useful outfield, I think the time for Slattery up front is long over due, and Quinn would be best brought on near the end when defences are opening up. A half forward line made entirely of fast players gobbling up breaks and supporting this new all out defence probably the way to go.

At the moment, my team would be ......

Kelly,
Grennan, Sullivan, Casey
Mooney, Brady, Slattery
Keane, McNamee
Coughlan, McManus, Ryan
Reynolds, Kelleghan, McNamee

Subject to heaps of changes as the league goes on I'm sure!!

Hocker
All Star

2006 champioship side

Post by Hocker »

P.Kelly,

S.Sullivan,J Keane, Casey
B Mooney, S Brady, C McManus

D Kelly, A McNamee

N Coughlan,P Kelleghan, K Slattery
J Reynolds, N McNamee, S Ryan.

Worthwhile Subs:
C Quinn
J Coughlan
D Egan
K Meehan (GK)

Declan Kelly would be worth given a start in midfield, he was head and shoulders above any other player in group 3 of the senior championship last year, great to see him back in contention, glad he got his ban lifted.
In my honest opinion the rest of the team basically picks itself.
Switching the mad one with Karl Slattery would be well worth it also.

Don't know if I've left anybody out, if I have feel free to copy/paste/edit/comment.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Hocker wrote:Declan Kelly would be worth given a start in midfield, he was head and shoulders above any other player in group 3 of the senior championship last year, great to see him back in contention, glad he got his ban lifted.
One way or another I would be inclined to say that it was a little bit of a stretch to say he was the best player in group three last year, but even allowing for that - is he not still under a court order to stay away from GAA pitches??

When was the appeal, where was it heard? I missed all this .....

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Judge Neilan lifted the ban two weeks ago.
Is there any place for Roy Malone on this new panel? I'd reckon if himself and KK could sort their differences he would be a great addition to the team. From what I've seen so far this year there hasn't been anyone any better introduced.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

There is no way that Declan Kelly is good enough for Inter County championship action!
(which is what this topic is about)

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Hyper wrote:Judge Neilan lifted the ban two weeks ago.
I missed that - comes from being out of the loop across the pond I suppose.

To be honest I couldn't see Declan Kelly as being good enough either, but I just left that aside in surprise at hearing about Judge Nielan backing down over anything. Much less a case involving aggression and the GAA.

I've always valued Roy's ability to win and hold up ball, and in recent years he has stopped hitting as many wild wides, so certainly there is a case for bringing him on board in that regard. I still wouldn't hold your breath though - it would be a fair climb down from Kilmurray ot look for him to come back, one which I wouldn't expect to see.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Is there any place for Roy Malone on this new panel? I'd reckon if himself and KK could sort their differences he would be a great addition to the team. From what I've seen so far this year there hasn't been anyone any better introduced.
Ah come on lads, Roy aint got anything to offer at County level, not now- he has had his day but we need to build for the future - not look back in anger.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Lone Shark wrote:I just left that aside in surprise at hearing about Judge Nielan backing down over anything. Much less a case involving aggression and the GAA.
Apparently on appeal the judge said that he didn't realise that the GAA had banned him at all and upon a plea from Olie Daly decided to let them sort it out themselves, ie let the GAA look after its own discipline.

To be honest I'm not sure how I feel, part of me says that its a good thing that what happens on the pitch should stay on the pitch and that I'm sure it was an action that was a product of frustration and aggression.

The other part of me says that if it was one of my team-mates and close friends that was sent to hospital concussed and with internal bleeding I wouldn't want to see that guy back on the pitch again, and if he was I'd be waiting for a chance for revenge.

It is a very delicate subject, I'd be interested to see how the injured player feels.

far from croghan hill
County player

Post by far from croghan hill »

typical offaly gaa...if declan kelly was a junior footballer from say ballyfore he would recieve no help from the county board on this issue.soon as he appeared near a county team the county board or maybe just ollie daly jumped to his aid. its a disgrace, i bet you half the people writing in cant even remember the name of the bracknagh player that got the kick, this is because he's not a high profile player. it happened in 1992 when offaly played dublin int he 1st round of the leinster champ in tullamore. the game prior to this was a senior hurlin tie between birr and seir kieran. joe dooley spilt a birr player off the ball, was sent off and the national media published it the next day. with offaly hulers playing kilkenny a fortnight later, offaly gaa swept it under the carpet..hypocrisy! in my own opinion i have nothing against pollagh or the kelly chap, neilan's ban should have remained.
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!

Podgy
Junior C

Declan kelly...

Post by Podgy »

Well i think everybody deserves a second chance, and not only because he's my clubmate but i really hope it works out for him on the senior panel this year..

Check this link out for all the info/penpics etc on the updated 2006 Offaly senior football panel
Link removed by admin

This pays particular attention to the Clara members of the panel.[/i]

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

think the players name from bracknagh was cassidy?
However we are straying off the subject of this topic here.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Lads, keep it clean

far from croghan hill
County player

Post by far from croghan hill »

who is the D Egan that hocker refers to?David Egan from croghan? to the best of my knowledge he is not in the county panel this year...heard he was in great form last sat in the league, easily the best forward on view from both sides.does he merit inclusion?thoughts?
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!