Senior Hurling Championship Draw

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Senior Hurling Championship Draw

Post by Lone Shark »

Seeing as the other thread has morphed into a discussion on the senior football championship, I said I’d throw in my tuppence ha’penny on the hurling here. Here is the draw, courtesy of ‘Skenach’s website….

Group A Group B Group C
Coolderry Birr Shinrone
Kinnitty Belmont Ballyskenagh
Kilcormac/Killoughey Lusmagh Drumcullen
Seir Kieran Killavilla St. Rynaghs
Shamrocks Clara Tullamore

Again going through it group by group, group one seems quite fascinating. Coolderry should cruise through, woth Kinnitty and Kilcormac the favourites for the second slot – arguably the county’s biggest overachievers and underachievers in 2005. I’d expect Kinnitty would find the going that little bit tougher against Clareen, local rivalry and all that, so K/K should be favourites, but it would be a great clash. Shamrocks still should be improving, and they were very unlucky last year, but staying out of the relegation section could be a big ask for them – though I could see them causing one upset somewhere if they don’t lose everyone to playing football.

Group B seems a lot more straightforward – Birr will hockey everyone, Clara should lose all four, Killavilla will only beat Clara, though they might try and maim a few guys against Belmont and Lusmagh, and the winner between Belmont and Lusmagh will stay involved, and might even fancy their chances of taking on a group C team in the quarters. Hard to know who I’d pick – Belmont have lost a few key players in recent years, but so many of their strong players are under 21 they really should only improve. At the risk of being accused of bias again, I’m guessing they might sneak it.

Group C is very tricky to read – every team has weaknesses you can pick on, though obviously if they play to even 50% of their potential Rynagh’s should top the group. Tullamore have been given a reprieve, so they better make use of it – I’ll have no sympathy if they get relegated this year, but if their decent range of younger players step up and start leading the team instead of still relying on the likes of Kelly and Martin, they actually might surprise themselves. Tullamore and Drumcullen to get drawn into the relegation battle, with Drumcullen possibly even going to go down along with Clara, while Skenach will avenge last year’s quarter final and grab the second quarter final place.

Now, I’ve put myself out there to be shot town – come and have a go ….
:D

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

LS, what sort of odds would you give on the hurling championship for 2006? any dark horses do ya think?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Offhand ........

4/7 Birr
5/2 Coolderry
8/1 St. Rynaghs
12/1 Ballyskenagh
12/1 Kilcormac/Killoughey
16/1 Kinnitty
25/1 Belmont
25/1 Lusmagh
33/1 Shinrone
100/1 or bigger the rest.

Hard to pick anyone out really. It's a great draw for both Belmont and Lusmagh in terms of building on last year, while realistically Skenach and Rynagh's should fancy their chances of reaching knockouts at least, but in terms of turning over Birr? A motivated and driven Coolderry really looks like the only option.

Now for the fun, group betting ...... :D

Group A

2/5 Coolderry
4/1 K/K
5/1 Kinnitty
33/1 Shamrocks
33/1 Clareen

Group B

1/5 Birr
6/1 Belmont
13/2 Lusmagh
33/1 Killavilla
100/1 Clara

Group C

11/10 St. Rynagh's
7/4 Ballyskenach
9/2 Shinrone
16/1 Tullamore
20/1 Drumcullen

Something along those lines anyway - I'll accomodate for a few bob if anyone feels offended .... :D