LSFC v Kildare

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: LSFC v Kildare

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

An interesting quote from McDonnell in today's 'Daily Cork'on the experience of playing in the League Final in Croke Park -

“A few of the lads suffered with nerves. You could see from the performance levels... we had distances covered that they should have been able to reach and most of them came up 1.5 or 2 kilometres much less than they normally would run. That came down to nervous energy."

How far would an intercounty footballer typically cover during the course of a match? What I am trying to get at is what proportion of the expected distance is 1.5km or 2km.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:An interesting quote from McDonnell in today's 'Daily Cork'on the experience of playing in the League Final in Croke Park -

“A few of the lads suffered with nerves. You could see from the performance levels... we had distances covered that they should have been able to reach and most of them came up 1.5 or 2 kilometres much less than they normally would run. That came down to nervous energy."

How far would an intercounty footballer typically cover during the course of a match? What I am trying to get at is what proportion of the expected distance is 1.5km or 2km.
A very significant proportion, to say the least. The amount you'd be expected to cover would vary according to position and tactics, but as a rule of thumb, 8k wouldn't be too far wrong, with very few elite lads going over that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

True Red wrote:No need to be calling anyone muppet's on here lads. The chap made a mistake, has paid a heavy price (as have the other lads)and thats all really.Nobody is perfect.
Do you not think that they're muppets, why would you train hard for the last 6 months, at least 5 days a week and then throw it all away for the sake of going on the piss for one night. They knew there was a training session the following morning, do you not think that they have let theselves + their team mates down, its not as if we have so many great players in the county?

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:When I look at some of the comments on here, I can see why, the only muppets are some of the posters on here. You must have spent more than the summerindublin to develop that level of arrogance towards players who have put in huge efforts, (and have been penalised for a lapse in discipline).
Why is it always Offaly lads that have a lapse of discipline, if you are good enough to get a chance to play senior with your county, you should grasp it with both hands, not throw it away, you need dicipline, no messing in Donegal/Tyrone/Mayo/Kerry/Dublin, even though I see that Hurley has been dropped off the Kildare panel, maybe there is something in the water in Edenderry as all 4 went to school in the town :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Fair is fair, unfortunately many of the lads that we grew up with watching as legends were allowed to enjoy a night out and a drink.
All well and good if you are in one of the counties that you mentioned, and I agree that discipline needs to be enforced. Them lads are probably annoyed at letting themselves down without lads here who never showed the colour of that committment calling them muppets. Also a bit ironic that they are replaced by an individual who wouldnt drag himself out of bed to join the panel when asked in over the winter?? :roll:

lostinjuniora
Intermediate
Club: Ballinagar

Post by lostinjuniora »

llkj wrote:40euro to get from home to Croke Park and back and see 2 games of championship football is a pretty good deal in my eyes.

It's not as if we've been overburdened with travelling around the country in recent years following our teams on long Summer adventures. A trip to Portlaois is about as exotic as it has gotten most of the time. I think most of us here would happily have some finance headaches this Summer, if it meant having something to shout about.

My wish for this weekend - "We don't have to listen to someone say "Kildare are 4 years ahead of us in terms of their development..." Please God, nobody utter that sentence, please. We listened to it every year for the last 3 years... so by now we should be just over their shoulder on the final bend, coming into the home straight and ready to kick and blow them out of the water!

McNamee has got the ball rolling!

"Kildare are five years ahead of us in terms of preparation and training."

http://hoganstand.com/Offaly/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=193360

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Typically an intercounty midfielder on a top team will cover 10k throughout the course of a match, wing forwards and wing backs will do the same and full back and full forward lines a bit less.

Modern day football has moved on significantly in the past few years in terms of aerobic capacity.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

McDonnell believes honesty of effort the key to Faithful hopes of overcoming Kildare challenge

RESULTS from last weekend's Munster SFC quarter-finals may have sent an ominous chill hurtling towards the midlands, but Emmet McDonnell and his squad are intent on preventing it from freezing Offaly's Leinster championship ambitions for a sixth successive season.

Limerick and Tipperary, fellow travellers with Offaly in Division 4 this year, lost to Cork and Kerry respectively by a combined total of 35 points last weekend, with each of the outsiders scoring the meagre total of eight points. It underlined the capacity for destruction that Division 1 teams possess when they get their game functioning sweetly against lower-ranked opposition.

"We're all aware of how hard it is to bridge the gap but it's all about rising to the challenge as best you can. That's what we will be trying to do against Kildare on Saturday," said McDonnell.

If the league form-line continues, Offaly are in for a big defeat by Kildare, who finished above Cork and Kerry in Division 1. Offaly finished second in Division 4.

It was enough to clinch promotion, thus reaching the first target set by McDonnell when he was appointed last August. Winning a Leinster championship game for the first time since 2007 would also have been high on the agenda but the prospects of delivering it in his first season waned when, for a second successive year, Offaly were paired with Kildare.

"There would have been easier draws but you take what you get," said McDonnell, who at 34 is one of the youngest inter-county managers. He is also the 11th man to have run the Offaly sideline since the start of the millennium.

The Faithful County's managerial upheavals have been many and varied but they are now hoping that their Westmeath import will bring a degree of stability, accompanied by progress, over the coming seasons.

He made a promising start to the season, presiding over three O'Byrne Cup wins, which was one more than Offaly managed in all competitions last year. That was followed by a successful promotion bid in Division 4, leaving Offaly much further advanced than this time last year when they were also preparing to take on Kildare.

That attempt didn't go well as they were beaten by 13 points in Portlaoise on a day when, among other disadvantages, they were physically lighter than the opposition.

Whether they have made progress towards closing that particular gap will become apparent in Croke Park on Saturday evening. McDonnell said that they have worked very hard at raising fitness levels and also at building morale. However, the standard differential between Division 4 and Division 1 still remains a major issue.

"Division 4 is very competitive but at a different level to where Kildare have been operating," he said. "We're under no illusions about the size of the job ahead but Offaly teams have always had great spirit and have often done well as underdogs too."

Five successive first-round defeats in the Leinster championship means that Offaly have to go back to June 2007 for their last provincial win. A ridiculously high managerial turnover – they had two managers in the one season twice over the last four years – added to the instability.

McDonnell's appointment came as something of a surprise as he had no inter-county managerial experience, relying instead on having steered St Mary's Edenderry, where he teaches, to the All-Ireland Colleges title last year.

Former county chairman Pat Teehan, who headed the committee which appointed McDonnell, compared him to Eugene McGee, who enjoyed a hugely successful stint with Offaly, yielding one All-Ireland (1982) and three Leinster (1980, '81, '82) titles.

"When Eugene came in as Offaly manager in the 1970s, his experience was mostly with Sigerson Cup teams, and he turned out to be a big success at inter-county level. We're hoping it will be the same with Emmet," said Teehan at the time of the appointment.

"We were very impressed with him and we now hope he can get on with building something in Offaly."

McGee inherited a richer crop of talent than McDonnell, but then expectations are lower now, so the new Offaly manager can look forward to a reasonable length of time to complete the rebuild.

"It's a young squad and will obviously take time to develop," said McDonnell. "Kildare are a lot further down the road, so it's going to be very hard for us on Saturday, but we certainly won't be found wanting for effort or the right attitude."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 07474.html

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lads we are not without hope Saturday and I genuinely believe that. Last year Offaly made a decent stab of it for 15 - 20 mins before completely running out of steam. I've been critical of McDonnell but I'll admit one thing and that's that the lads have trained extremely hard this year and are now a reasonably fit outfit. Theres 70mins in a lot of them now. Kildare have upped the training even more over the last few weeks (I'm very reliably told) and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they were to suffer a dose of burnout related flatness Saturday night. I just hope McDonnell doesn't have the boys playing a ridiculously defensive game in the hope of keeping the score down. Let the forwards be forwards as much as possible and we may be pleasantly surprised at 6:30. Fingers crossed. Interested to see both teams.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

bracknaghboy wrote:Lads we are not without hope Saturday and I genuinely believe that. Last year Offaly made a decent stab of it for 15 - 20 mins before completely running out of steam. I've been critical of McDonnell but I'll admit one thing and that's that the lads have trained extremely hard this year and are now a reasonably fit outfit. Theres 70mins in a lot of them now. Kildare have upped the training even more over the last few weeks (I'm very reliably told) and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they were to suffer a dose of burnout related flatness Saturday night. I just hope McDonnell doesn't have the boys playing a ridiculously defensive game in the hope of keeping the score down. Let the forwards be forwards as much as possible and we may be pleasantly surprised at 6:30. Fingers crossed. Interested to see both teams.
Thats the stuff right there!

An uphill climb, but little is expected so there should be nothing to fear. If we can double down and then some on last year and its still close at 50 minutes, they'll start kicking closer to the corner flags than the posts in frustration/desperation. At that point its anybody's game.

Here's to a massive effort and perhaps a little luck on our side.

Do yourselves proud boys, tear into them like never before.

WE CAN DO IT!!!!

UP THE FAITHFUL!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

To be honest early in the week thinking about this game was depressing me and I thought we'd be in for an even worse beating that we got last year.However (as ridiculous as this sounds) the Neville Coughlan story seems to have improved my mood and if he can stand up and be counted when he was needed then surely our footballers can do the same on Saturday .

Hopefully we don't play too defensively and actually accept we will need to get close to 15 points to be in contention we havent a hope of beating Kildare if we focus almost completely on defence like we have in some of this years games. Kildare will eventually grind us down regardless of how good we may defend.Massive games from Niall McNamee and Brian Connor will be required if we are to get close to Kildare.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Team named:

http://www.offaly.gaa.ie/offaly-news/of ... eannounced

1 Alan Mulhall (Walsh Island)
2 Brian Darby (Rhode)
3 Paul McConway (Tullamore)
4 Daithi Brady (Ballyfore)
5 Eoin Carroll (Cappincur)
6 Shane Sullivan (Rhode)
7 Michael Brazil (Tullamore)
8 Alan McNamee (Rhode)
9 Brian Connor (Walsh Island)
10 Graham Guilfoyle (Clara)
11 Johnny Brickland (St Brigid’s)
12 David Hanlon (Edenderry)
13 Anton Sullivan (Rhode)
14 Niall McNamee (captain) (Rhode)
15 Ken Casey (St Brigid’s)

Subs:

16 Ian Duffy (Walsh Island)
17 Peter Cunningham (Bracknagh)
18 Johnny Moloney (Tullamore)
19 Niall Darby (Rhode)
20 Ruairi Allen (Gracefield)
21 Willie Mulhall (Walsh Island)
22 Luke Kelly (Clara)
23 Matthew Mitchell (Clara)
24 Daire Corbett (Shannonbridge)
25 Derek Kelly (Edenderry)
26 Paul McPadden (Rhode)

Bord na Mona man
All Star

You can see the impact of the 3 players being dropped. The panel doesn't have experienced replacements.
A big effort will be needed, but if the attitude is right the players should be able to acquit themselves well.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Jayz BnMn, would you get rid of that avatar of yours. I cant consider posting a serious response with that mug on my screen. :oops: :x
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

Right its friday lunchtime, both teams just named, Kildare have 5 debutants , we have 3.
I had been glass half full 2 weeks ago, then the 2 matches last weekend made it half empty and now as the week has gone on i am back to half full.
Why ? we are OFFALY thats why.
These players have put the effort it, it may not be enough but i expect them to try to put it up to Kildare. We have the ability to score goals so I think we will give a good account of ourselves on saturday because its CHAMPIONSHIP time

If you can't be up for the first round of c'ship you never will be

Best of luck to all involved - be better than your immediate opponent on the day and lets get the breaking balls as a starting point to aim for, systems can kick in after that !
Looking forward to the game with nervous anticipation - it make take a lot of cider to calm me down.