Allianz-Hurling-league 1B

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Allianz-Hurling-league 1B

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I've been quick to criticise Radio3 in the past, but to be fair to them in this instance -
- Quite probable no-one was willing to travel to Belfast on an Easter Sunday with Offaly on a serious downer.
- Radio3 have 'upped their game' considerably since about Christmas. I don't get to listen to their Saturday evening programme but from what I have heard of it, they cover a wide range of stuff - hurling, football, local soccer, Junior rugby, horses, greyhounds.
- Damian Moran (who covered the Camogie today) commentates intelligently without any inane shouting or roaring.
blue74 wrote:on the subject of this match did anyone think radio 3's coverage of it today was terrible. they had some guy in the studio obviously been told by someone on a phone at the match what the score was yet they had live commentary from division 2 hurling matches that at one stage laois were so far ahead they still continued with Jack Nolan commenting on it.
I just dont get what radio 3 are at these days with the sunday sport programme its a mismatch of everything without any co-ordination. At one stage the presenter said lets concentrate on the football with a look foward to the irish grand national(yes he actually did say that)...
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Report from optimus cheese on gaaboard.com

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?top ... msg1216078
I feel physically sick over that today. Absolutely shafted. Hurling is a physical game yet that one today, it was played in a good spirit, hard and fair, not a dirty stroke pulled. But those frees just defy logic. Crazy.
At four up with 15 to play, Kelly gives Offaly a nothing free, helps them steady, gifted them a way back in. True, we didn't score for the last 15, but our cause wasn't helped by a referee willing to blow for nothing in favour of Offaly while letting them away with blatant trips and fouls as we tried to build from the back and at midfield. The penalty that wasn't awarded when Carson seemed well inside when dragged back.
One thing sticks in my head - giving out the Limerick v Wexford score seemed to galvanize Offaly a bit, forced them to up their game a bit, an error I think from announcer, almost seemed a turning point in a way.
Still - loads of positives. Shorty, McCrory and McManus were phenomenal. The whole team - honest endeavor, hooking, blocking, physically stood up. Really think these lads, given some time to develop, can do good things.
Maybe a playoff against Carlow, competitive game in two weeks, might be a good thing to keep it ticking over ahead of Westmeath in Championship.
No doubt we are moving in the right direction, Championship now starts on April 14.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Plain of H:

One thing from your Oy v Ant stats. Never play them in Birr !!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note: I was out off contact all day & only got the result in the last hour,

THey scored 21 points, in Belfast, now I am very happy with that !!!

Sure someone at it might tell us they did not play well ete .but that is great scoring so well done all.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

With 15 minutes to go and Offaly down by 4, it didn't sound so promising.
A good way to sign off the league campaign, even though the quality might have been a bit lacking so far.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

The team line out as follows.

Dempesy,
Mc Donald, Kenny, Cleary
Camon, G. Helion, Brady
Hanniffy, B. Carroll
C. Selvin, Egan, T. Carroll
Dooley, Molloy, Mullourey

Played aginst the wind in the 1st half, Our half back line were on top for a lot of the game, Camon played well in his first day out. Helion at centre back use of the ball was awesome all day. it was just simple but he use it well. for the 10 before half time and for the 15 mins at the start of the second half he got dragged into midfield. it put pressure on the midfield to drop and cover the space. they didn't and we were in a lot of trouble.
after that he drop in the centre back slot again and stop almost everything going in.
Kenny has his hand full with the Antrim full forward who could have won the game for them. He had an air shot when the goal was open.
overall the Defence played well. all 6 had moments where they were under pressure but played well.

Our Midfield was both good and bad. Hanniffy got through a lot of work and scored a great point to push Offaly forwarded in the last 10 mins. Carroll was in space and got a lot of ball in the frist half but faded in a crowded midfield in the second half. Ryan came on and fought the way he allways does.
Selvin played number 10. was great in the second half. scoring all apart from 2 frees. he was excellent from open play as well. Man of the match by a good bit.
Egan won a lot of ball and worked hard but he waste a lot of ball as well.
Tom Carroll had a really off day never got into the game. the day pass him by.
Dooley look good for large part of the game but a bit off from him frees but maybe i'm being too hard on him.
Molloy was way off form but work hard.
Mulronney was much better today out ahead of him man and winning a few balls but use of the ball wasn't great. this could have being him best perforamce in an offaly shirt.
The ref was over fussy today and was hard on Antrim. but was hard on Offaly backs as well. But Antrim are right to be upset with him. (we got 2 very soft free in the second half but Antrim got a few in the first)
If this game was a draw it would have being a fair results.
Offaly were Lucky to win this one. Slevin and Dooley look like a good team in the making at no10 and no 13.
The KK lads influence was stamp all over the game. Offaly never looked like they were in a state of panic when they were 4 point down.
they won the next puck out and ran at the Antrim defence got what they need to get over the line. not great to look at but gets the job done. Not like the Carlow game where it was a full on panic from 5 mins into the second half.
If this was the 1st day out in the league i be saying we were lucky but they lots to work on.
We did a lot of small thing right today for the frist time this year.

Reading over this i think i made us sound better than we were,
Antrim were Poor and we were Average but we won and that what important today.
I counted the Offaly supporter they was me and 3 others. including Mick 'Smokey' McDonagh the man in the "Offaly jersey behind the goal".
can't blame anyone for not going after the last few weeks and it was fecking cold in casment park as well.
Happy Easter everyone.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Cheers for that account, Tox. Double cheers - you appear to be the only person to bring the correct Offaly lineout with you out of Casement Park. All today's broadsheets list GH at 12, which is disappointing.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Thanks for posting the account of the match Toxicity.

Out of curiosity, how did Offaly work the frees? I see Slevin got 4 and Dooley got 7? Did Dooley take close in ones and Slevin the ones from further out? Or was it a case that Dooley missed a couple and Slevin was put on all frees?
Good to see that the KK boys stepped in well. Can only be good for the panel.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Like to just say thanks as well to Tox for his post, really great stuff.
The whole thread has been a great insight.
Thanks to all those that continue to contribute.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Toxicity234 wrote:The team line out as follows.

Dempesy,
Mc Donald, Kenny, Cleary
Camon, G. Helion, Brady
Hanniffy, B. Carroll
C. Selvin, Egan, T. Carroll
Dooley, Molloy, Mullourey

Played aginst the wind in the 1st half, Our half back line were on top for a lot of the game, Camon played well in his first day out. Helion at centre back use of the ball was awesome all day. it was just simple but he use it well. for the 10 before half time and for the 15 mins at the start of the second half he got dragged into midfield. it put pressure on the midfield to drop and cover the space. they didn't and we were in a lot of trouble.
after that he drop in the centre back slot again and stop almost everything going in.
Kenny has his hand full with the Antrim full forward who could have won the game for them. He had an air shot when the goal was open.
overall the Defence played well. all 6 had moments where they were under pressure but played well.

Our Midfield was both good and bad. Hanniffy got through a lot of work and scored a great point to push Offaly forwarded in the last 10 mins. Carroll was in space and got a lot of ball in the frist half but faded in a crowded midfield in the second half. Ryan came on and fought the way he allways does.
Selvin played number 10. was great in the second half. scoring all apart from 2 frees. he was excellent from open play as well. Man of the match by a good bit.
Egan won a lot of ball and worked hard but he waste a lot of ball as well.
Tom Carroll had a really off day never got into the game. the day pass him by.
Dooley look good for large part of the game but a bit off from him frees but maybe i'm being too hard on him.
Molloy was way off form but work hard.
Mulronney was much better today out ahead of him man and winning a few balls but use of the ball wasn't great. this could have being him best perforamce in an offaly shirt.
The ref was over fussy today and was hard on Antrim. but was hard on Offaly backs as well. But Antrim are right to be upset with him. (we got 2 very soft free in the second half but Antrim got a few in the first)
If this game was a draw it would have being a fair results.
Offaly were Lucky to win this one. Slevin and Dooley look like a good team in the making at no10 and no 13.
The KK lads influence was stamp all over the game. Offaly never looked like they were in a state of panic when they were 4 point down.
they won the next puck out and ran at the Antrim defence got what they need to get over the line. not great to look at but gets the job done. Not like the Carlow game where it was a full on panic from 5 mins into the second half.
If this was the 1st day out in the league i be saying we were lucky but they lots to work on.
We did a lot of small thing right today for the frist time this year.

Reading over this i think i made us sound better than we were,
Antrim were Poor and we were Average but we won and that what important today.
I counted the Offaly supporter they was me and 3 others. including Mick 'Smokey' McDonagh the man in the "Offaly jersey behind the goal".
can't blame anyone for not going after the last few weeks and it was fecking cold in casment park as well.
Happy Easter everyone.
Great stuff Tox.....makes for interesting reading....
Ger Healion at centre back.....could be on to something there, had excellent year with KK and excellent in club final, massive physical presence and does simple things well. Frees Hannify up to go to midfield.....

Also with Kenny, Cleary and Morkham in backs we can only get stronger. Id rather see Brady at midfield for his tenacity with Brian Carroll further up but Brady is tenacious and will break even no matter where he is.....

With the likes of Bergin to come back to partner Dooley in inside line and Slevin adding value to half forward line, we can be a lot more positive than we have been to date. Colin Egan, the 2 Carrolls, Conor Mahon and Derek Molloy as options with Mulrooney available for inside line, we can get a lot stronger overall. 6 pts from 10 in the div is not great but also not bad and finishing ahead of wexford after the drubbing we took down there in the Walshe cup in January is acceptable given the absence of the KK lads.

Id have concerns about the fitness of Dooley as we need him in top shape v KK and he seemed to have wintered well from the little bit i did see of him v WX and Dublin. We are really up against it V KK but if everyone gives their all in the next few weeks and management organise them well, there is no reason why we cant give KK a good game in the first rnd and hope then to get a run in the back door. There is no reason why this group cant reach a 1/4 final this year and that would be significant progress were it to happen.....
jimbob

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Baker is bang on with what he’s saying here …

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling ... 66206.html

Offaly 0-21 Antrim 0-19 nhl division 1b – 01 April 2013

Despite the recent criticism thrown at Offaly hurling, the Faithful secured a respectable third place in the table courtesy of the third win of their campaign at Casement Park.

The Offaly management had incurred the wrath of former player Daithi Regan in particular in recent weeks, and in his post-match comments Faithful boss Ollie Baker defended his squad, who now have 10 weeks until their Leinster championship clash against Kilkenny.

"The lads have given up the last five months of their lives. The amount of sacrifice and commitment is huge.

"They are doing their best and trying their hardest and are doing it in an air of negativity that is being promoted by a lot of commentators," said Baker.

"They don't choose to look at the positive side of what's happening. The hurlers are there, the hurling is there (in Offaly).

"To speak with that air of negativity is disingenuous to what is going on in every club. It is putting undue pressure on players.

"It seems to be something in Offaly. The truth is that the harder you work, the better chance you have of succeeding, and we are working very hard.

"It's a populist thing to talk negatively and the papers are going to print it. If you talk positively, no one is going to print it. It doesn't sell."

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Remember what Ollie told the Offaly Independent back in January?
http://www.offalyindependent.ie/sport/r ... s--baker-/
Particularly this "We want the local media and the county board to call us to account"

And "Down the years the only style of hurling that has endured has been direct ball, get the sliotar from one end to the other quickly and that's how I would like to play."

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

llkj wrote:Thanks for posting the account of the match Toxicity.

Out of curiosity, how did Offaly work the frees? I see Slevin got 4 and Dooley got 7? Did Dooley take close in ones and Slevin the ones from further out? Or was it a case that Dooley missed a couple and Slevin was put on all frees?
Good to see that the KK boys stepped in well. Can only be good for the panel.
Its a good question, in the first half Dooley took all the free's and was excellent, i think he might have missed one or two.
At the start of the second half Cleary took one from about 100 yards, he missed. and them Dooley missed one for out near the sideline.
Then Slevin won and took one from midfield and after that Slevin took anything for around 30 yards or more.
and Dooley took the close in one.
I have no idea if is this was the plan or maybe Dooley had taking a knock. If he did take a knock i didn't see it.
Again This is Slevin 2 day out with the county so it was great work for him to step up and knock over the 4 free in the second half.
I see that Slevin made the Hogan Stand Team of the week in Midfield. But he did hurl at wing forward for the whole game.

I should point out that we waste a lot of free's, where the free taker put the ball into the conner with the forward moving away from the ball. Our forward were running into traffic and not into space. we could do some work on this part of the game as well.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

jimbob17 wrote: Great stuff Tox.....makes for interesting reading....
Ger Healion at centre back.....could be on to something there, had excellent year with KK and excellent in club final, massive physical presence and does simple things well. Frees Hannify up to go to midfield.....
I was surprised at how well Ger Healion play and more surprised at how well he used the ball. He got block down a few time but recovered and regained the ball and cleared it. Again like any hurler he has weakness but brady and himself work well together and Camon did well on the otherside. But only when Healion got dragged to midfield did Camon and Brady look under pressure. He a Big Powerful Stopper. Antrim spend there time trying to get around him because they could go through him.
jimbob17 wrote: Also with Kenny, Cleary and Morkham in backs we can only get stronger. Id rather see Brady at midfield for his tenacity with Brian Carroll further up but Brady is tenacious and will break even no matter where he is.....
I'm still disappointed that Kilmartin isn't on the panel. He 23 year old and look like the long term future of the offaly midield. But Brady/Hanniffy would be a good midfield. But with the Kilkenny game in mind it would be nice to have the opition to have Ryan/Kilmartin for the last 15 mins if we can keep it close.
jimbob17 wrote: With the likes of Bergin to come back to partner Dooley in inside line and Slevin adding value to half forward line, we can be a lot more positive than we have been to date. Colin Egan, the 2 Carrolls, Conor Mahon and Derek Molloy as options with Mulrooney available for inside line, we can get a lot stronger overall. 6 pts from 10 in the div is not great but also not bad and finishing ahead of wexford after the drubbing we took down there in the Walshe cup in January is acceptable given the absence of the KK lads.
Yeah, its look like we have an ok squad considering what has left the squad over the last 2 year(Kelly, Horan, Murphy, Coughlan, Franks, Brady, Herron and Rigney) and the players that we haven't call up.
The Two losses to Dublin and Limerick were both our own fault. the game aginst Dublin we were overrun for a lot of the game. We didn't make the changes required early enough.
as for the Game aginist Limerick we started and played the wrong line-up for most of the game.
We were lucky to get wins aginist Carlow and to a lesser extent Antrim.
We have had a poor league. Our final position may look respectable but if we had learn from out mistake aginist Wexford in the walsh cup or Dublin the frist day we could have top 1B without the Kilcormac-Killoughey lads.
jimbob17 wrote: Id have concerns about the fitness of Dooley as we need him in top shape v KK and he seemed to have wintered well from the little bit i did see of him v WX and Dublin. We are really up against it V KK but if everyone gives their all in the next few weeks and management organise them well, there is no reason why we cant give KK a good game in the first rnd and hope then to get a run in the back door. There is no reason why this group cant reach a 1/4 final this year and that would be significant progress were it to happen.....
I think Dooley look ok. we over-rely on Dooley in Offaly and every other county knows this. They set out to stop him. I though at the start of the league that Stephen Quarke would be on the panel to take some of the pressure away from Dooley.
but this didn't happen. Its 10 weeks to Kilkenny load of time for Dooley,the rest of the panel and the management team to get thing sorted.
durra1 wrote: "The lads have given up the last five months of their lives. The amount of sacrifice and commitment is huge.

"They are doing their best and trying their hardest and are doing it in an air of negativity that is being promoted by a lot of commentators," said Baker.

"They don't choose to look at the positive side of what's happening. The hurlers are there, the hurling is there (in Offaly).

"To speak with that air of negativity is disingenuous to what is going on in every club. It is putting undue pressure on players.

"It seems to be something in Offaly. The truth is that the harder you work, the better chance you have of succeeding, and we are working very hard.

Looking at these comments from the manger annoys me. Most of the Negativity has being around the Management team, the style of play and the use of players.
Any negative comment about a player has normal be answer by the player improving in the next game. The players have always looked like they have pride in themselves and in the county.
The hard work of the player look to be making them better players as individual but our game plan look to be letting the players down and that where any negative talk has be aimed at.

Baker is right to come out and defend his players if the player were being the one criticise.
But for the most part in this, he and his management team are the one being criticise not the players.
He is just dragging the player into it.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

I think you’ll find that it’s Regan who was dragging the players into it:-

Regan went on to question the manhood of the current team, suggesting that whatever about talent, they are mentally nothing like the side he was a part of that reached the top in 1994.

“It’s not new either. I spoke some harsh words [as a selector in 2005]. Players can turn around now and say ‘shit management’ and I’d have my own views on that. But there is a weak mentality. When we played, you didn’t hear from outside the group what was wrong, you got it from Joe Dooley or Michael Duignan. Fellas were men enough to say it and you took it because they were right. They lack that now.”

Regan is not alone in this negativity – he’s just more outspoken about it than others.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

i know that things are so negative at the moment but we shouldnt be voicing it out in public like were doing. Regan is making this public news and thats not good for the county to get a reputation like that. we saw the same thing with the o'connor park lock out years ago. its damaging the county. we are known as the faithful county for a reason. we stick together through thick and thin. we may be struggling but we dont point it out. we have to support them in everything they do and maybe they will cause a few surprises if we trust them and support them