Under 21 hurling championship 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Under 21 hurling championship 2013

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Shinrone have beaten Kinnitty 5-23 to 2-10, the winners having led 3-8 to 1-5 at half time, according to the Kinnitty 'Stalkbook' page.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Kilcormac-Killoughey advance to the semi-finals after their 0-13 to 1-6 win over the United Birr Parish. K-K lead 0-8 to 1-4 at half time, the east wind not making two halves on the north - south St Brendan's Park pitch. Thanks to @Dingero on the Twitter machine for the scores.

'Rynagh's beat Tullamore - can't get the score however. So 'Rynagh's, Shinrone & K-K are through to the semi-finals. They will be joined by the winners of the Coolderry v SKÓ replay. The semi-finals are set to be played a fortnight from now.

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:County Board's Twitter account reports Coolderry and Clareen drew, and were still level after extra-time. Another saga is on the cards after it took three games to separate the pair just a few years ago.

Did the county boards twitter account say anything about the referee not being able to keep the score of this game correct?
Clareen were very unhappy at full-time and don't be surprised if there is more to come from this match.

Clontotan
Junior C
Club: St.Rynaghs

Post by Clontotan »

Rynaghs win with final score 1-16 to 13 points. Game ruined by unsavoury scenes causing an early final whistle. In honesty the only thing groomes done right was blowing it up two minutes early

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Rynaghs won by around six points, but the talking point here will not be the scoreline.

As the game was in the last couple of minutes there was can what only be described as an attack on one of the rynaghs players by the tullamore keeper. I have NEVER in all my time watching hurling seen the strokes pulled by the keeper. The last stroke was with the full force of the hurl to the head of the rynaghs player who by this stage was on his knees. Thankfully it appeared that his helmet saved him

A scuffle ensued as players from both sides ran in, but calm was eventually restored before the ref gave a straight red and then wisely blew for full time.

I don't know what the maximum ban is but it must be handed out here. Everyone who has ever played hurling knows that there is line you should not cross, but this evening I seen it crossed for the first time.

To the match itself, Tullamore made rynaghs battle all the way. Cormac Martin was deadly accurate from frees as was Stephen Quirks for Rynaghs. At half time I think there was only a point in it to Rynaghs who had played with the wind.
However a rynaghs goal about mid way through the second half set them on their way.
The game had been played in good spirit, with some heavy hits, but nothing more, until the disgraceful attack at the end. I am sure that any of the hurling people in Tullamore are as sickened by it as I am
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Kilcormac-Killoughey advance to the semi-finals after their 0-13 to 1-6 win over the United Birr Parish. K-K lead 0-8 to 1-4 at half time, the east wind not making two halves on the north - south St Brendan's Park pitch. Thanks to @Dingero on the Twitter machine for the scores.
Yeah I have heard it was a scrappy enough game and scores were very hard to come by some of the K-K supporters were of the opinion that they were lucky enough to come away from a St Brendans Park with a win.
Saddened to hear the news coming out of the Rynaghs v's Tullamore game not exactly what parents want to hear or see when they have young children interested in participating in our national sport.
You have to feel for all parties concerned.

blue biffo
Junior A
Club: tullamore

Post by blue biffo »

I was also at the Tullamore-Rynaghs game and as Tullamore supporter have read joe bloggs posting and have to agree with everything he said. Tullamore should not wait to see what the goalie get, can they ban him straight away. It was off the ball and i miss what starter it but as i looked down at the goals i saw one of the worse strokes i have seen in a long time, embarrassed of what i saw from a fellow club man today. Tullamore fan were standing around after the game stunned and sick. Up to that it was a good game and i don't thing there was a bad stroke in the game.Best of luck to Rynaghs in the next round.

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

Also a blues supporter but not at the game
i was told of the incident on Saturday night and assuming all information is correct i can only condemn the actions of the player in question and would like to see the club lead the way on dealing with this matter if at all possible and not wait for county board.

NOTHING excuses pulling a hurley on someones head.
Thank God for compulsory helmets these days.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

i know a lot of the tulllamore players and i believe it got bad towards the end. its healthy to have the odd scuffle but when it ends in lads getting struck and badly injured its time to draw the line

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Killeighman wrote:i know a lot of the tulllamore players and i believe it got bad towards the end. its healthy to have the odd scuffle but when it ends in lads getting struck and badly injured its time to draw the line
Thankfully the player did not receive any serious injury as far as I know, as his helmet saved him.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Draw for semi finals.
KK v Shinrone
Rynaghs v Coolderry or Clareen

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

Coolderry v Seir Kieran replay is on tomorrow evening in Clareen at 5.30 B Gavin refereeing!

Another tight game but I'll stick to my first game prediction Clareen by a few points,hopefully Brian Gavin can keep correct count of the scores :D

NorthByNorthWest
Junior C

Post by NorthByNorthWest »

Should be a cracking game this evening. I had Clareen 3 up at HT last week on my score sheet, they'll be sure they have more on the scoreboard today. Need a big performance from Tom Carroll, he is the man that will be the difference if Clareen go on to win. David King has to be the leader for Coolderry if they are going to stop the likes of Pakie Mulrooney, Carroll, Hynes and the Gracefield chap Keith Mullally, then they could win. I was impressed with Declan Parlon last week, is he a brother of Cathal?

Gavin is a good choice as ref. I feel the team with the most consistent free taker will win.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Seir Kieran Óg 2-9 Coolderry 1-8

Maybe it was the memory of the Final trilogy three years ago, but I expected ALOT more from Clareen v Coolderry this evening. Instead we got a display of poor striking, poor shooting, poor handling, poor passing, hardly any combination play and poor (albeit consistent) refereeing.

Adrian Hynes opened the scoring with a scrambled goal in the fourth minute, Coolderry levelled and Andy Connolly’s goal put Coolderry 1-4 to 1-1 ahead after 22 minutes, going on to lead 1-5 to 1-3 at half time. Going on the balance of play Coolderry should probably have been about eight points ahead but weren’t.

Clareen had the use of the fresh wind and the hill for the second half. Two quick Adrian Hynes points (one a free) levelled it up three minutes into the second half, and Séamie Dunne(?)’s goal made it 2-5 to 1-5 for Clareen. With Tom Carroll getting on alot of ball and Brian Gavin’s ‘Kilkenny’ style of allowing up to 10 steps and plenty of barging, I thought Clareen would win well at this stage. Declan Parlon got through alot of work at midfield, as did the Larkin fella with the yellow helmet (Brian?), and the scoring dried up again.

The breeze was a big factor, where James Gannon struggled to puck out into the wind As was the hill. The sides swapped scores during the last five minutes, twice Coolderry reduced the gap to 3, twice Clareen put 4 in it again and Clareen advance.

David King was full-back for Coolderry and they probably needed him further outfield. Andrew Connolly never really threatened, where Damien Maher was probably Coolderry’s most dangerous forward.

Hard to know about Clareen. Billy Connors looked dodgy around the square and Joseph Connors (who seems to have been hurling U21 forever now) was busy around the square. Still, the full-back did well under the dropping ball. Keith Mullally isn’t a centre half-back in the traditional sense but he did well. He made one great run upfield and drew a crucial free, and made a mighty catch near the end when Coolderry sought a goal. Conor Walsh is a stylist too. Still, they have Hynes and Carroll in attack (who has lost weight too), and Dunne is a good worker.

Logic says ’Rynagh’s should win the semi-final, and win well. Then again, when has a ’Rynagh’s v Clareen match ever followed logic? I’d still expect a ’Rynagh’s v Shinrone Final.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I don't know about Declan PArlon, but I do believe Tom PArlon has just two sons, Cathal and Fergal. Declan possibly a son of Joe Parlon? One for TAcmot or backofthenet.

And Hynes' freetaking was a crucial factor. Welcome to the site NBNW.
NorthByNorthWest wrote:Should be a cracking game this evening. I had Clareen 3 up at HT last week on my score sheet, they'll be sure they have more on the scoreboard today. Need a big performance from Tom Carroll, he is the man that will be the difference if Clareen go on to win. David King has to be the leader for Coolderry if they are going to stop the likes of Pakie Mulrooney, Carroll, Hynes and the Gracefield chap Keith Mullally, then they could win. I was impressed with Declan Parlon last week, is he a brother of Cathal?

Gavin is a good choice as ref. I feel the team with the most consistent free taker will win.