Offaly 0-15 Laois 0-10

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Offaly 0-15 Laois 0-10

Post by Lone Shark »

Most people, when told that there is both good and bad news to be heard, like to hear the bad news first, usually so as to end on a high note. People are funny like that. With that it mind, when summarising this local clash from last Sunday in O’Moore Park, we’ll start with all the aspects that will concern Offaly management and supporters, and progress from there onto the highlights and positive signs for the year ahead. Firstly though, the negative – it is still the O’Byrne Cup, and not a match that would have had either side laying their bodies on the line for. A lot of Offaly’s good play in this match emanated from their sharpness in snapping up breaking ball, a sharpness which is probably as much a reflection of what stage both teams are at in their respective training schedules as much as anything else. The ploy of playing a target man at full forward ran aground here, as Cathal Ryan dominated the square with a fine display of full back play, the kind of display one would also expect from David O’Donoghue next May when the Championship rolls around. Finally, the Offaly full back line looked far from certain when isolated with their direct markers, and only began to look in control when Laois ran the ball in on top of them in the second half, a ploy that no well prepared championship team would engage in. The Laois inside line was also quite short on pace, and for example the introduction of a player like Donie Brennan could really have caused problems in that regard – though in mitigation Paul McConway was clearly carrying an injury throughout this match.

All that said - and those are all matters that will play on the minds of management over the next few weeks – this was a fine display from the Offaly footballers, and hugely encouraging on several levels. Laois settled into the game straight away with three early points, but instead of panicking our players calmly went about their business, and ten minutes later had drawn level playing some great football into a stiff breeze. Around the middle of the park our players were aggressive and competitive both in fielding high ball and scavenging for breaks, and dominated Laois in this regard. Over the past few summers Offaly teams have been hitting a lot of wides, but on Sunday a mere four wides were recorded while the fifteen points were being accumulated. The players and management can both take great satisfaction from this, because it was largely down to good shot selection and patience, no attempting to hit the target from difficult angles or huge distances. Granted most players were in good shooting form, nine different players raising flags, but even so tactically it was a triumph. Finally it was a victory that was achieved over seventy minutes of consistently doing the right things – defending tirelessly but within the rules, thus keeping frees conceded – Laois’s main source of scores – to a minimum, always looking to find a man, and closing out the game assuredly as the final whistle drew closer rather than engaging in panic defending. A couple of extra tactical substitutions during the second half would not have gone amiss – of the three substitutions made, two were forced by injury, while Niall McNamee was brought in right on the end of normal time – but the players on the field all kept their heads and did the right things to close out the game – another skill that has been lacking in Offaly football in recent years.

All these positives looked a long way off at the start, as the Laois football machine hit the high gears straight away, Munnelly converting two easy frees and Beano McDonald scoring from close range within five minutes. A local derby against one of Leinster’s top teams was always likely to present a tougher challenge than anything this new look Offaly team had met, and both corner backs seemed to be struggling to find their feet. In contrast, the Laois full back line was in complete control, and when Offaly did begin to get back into the game, it was largely due to the good play at midfield and half forward. Ciarán McManus had his first chance of the day and hit a great score on the run from 40 metres out, the highlight of another excellent display from the Tubber man in his new centre forward role. A 45 from the same player on 13 minutes split the posts, and when the Clara combination of Thomas Deehan and John Reynolds linked up well on the quarter hour, the sides were level, a fine achievement for the visitors after the rocky opening.

From then on it was nip and tuck up to half time, with Laois failing to establish the kind of lead they were going to need once the wind would blow into them. McManus and then Leonard Mooney both put Offaly in front only to be cancelled out by Munnelly scores, before Padraig Clancy put the home team back in front with a somewhat fortunate score – his kick from half way flew over the heads of both Colm Kelly and Shane Sullivan before bouncing over the bar. A similar long kick from Alan McNamee created Offaly’s only real goal chance of the game soon after, the ball flying over a mass of bodies into Thomas Deehan, but his shot was saved by Michael Nolan. Laois were to go 0-7 to 0-5 up within minutes, but Offaly continued to press forward and by half time they were sitting pretty at 0-8 apiece, Quinn, Coughlan and Deehan all having got their first scores.

In theory the short passing game synonymous with Mick O’Dwyer teams should have been well suited to playing into the breeze, but his side were very shot-shy early on, and overplaying was largely responsible for them going the first twenty minutes of the second half without scoring – a period in which Offaly continued to convert most of their chances. They scored four in a row, the pick being a point on the run from the speedy Sean Ryan, a player whose pace and enthusiasm has been a joy to watch in this O’Byrne campaign. A good side like Laois were always likely to make a push in front of their home crowd though, and there followed a five minute spell when they really took the game to Offaly. It began when Colm Kelly hit a good point over his shoulder after his side had again played a lot of pass the parcel with the football, and almost immediately a careless foul by Leonard Mooney and some ill-judged remonstrating by Colm Quinn left Munnelly the simplest of frees. The game turned on one incident immediately after that, when Laois broke through the Offaly half back line down their left, and worked the ball across the goals to leave Colm Kelly on his own with just the goalie to beat – he sidestepped Padraig Kelly, only for Shane Sullivan to make a glorious diving block to deflect the ball out for a 45. The 45 was hit badly, cleared, and before long Colm Quinn had scored two consecutive scores to put Offaly four in front again. Even though the Laois players continued battling, the steady flow of supporters towards the exits told it’s own story. There was time for one last point from Paschal Kelleghan in injury time, a well worked and finished score involving several of the forwards linking up well. It was an appropriate finish to a game which had been won by virtue of good teamwork and cohesion throughout. The Offaly renaissance now crosses paths with the Eamonn Barry-inspired Meath revival next Sunday, a head on clash which should draw a big Offaly crowd after this thoroughly encouraging display.

Teams:

Offaly: Padraig Kelly; Kevin Lynam, Shane Sullivan, Paul McConway; Barry Mooney, Scott Brady, Nigel Grennan; Alan McNamee (0-1), Neville Coughlan (0-1); John Reynolds (0-2), Ciarán McManus (0-3, 0-1 ‘45), Leonard Mooney (0-1); Colm Quinn (0-3, 0-2 frees), Ross Connor, Thomas Deehan (0-2, frees).
Subs: Paschal Kelleghan (0-1) for Neville Coughlan, Seán Ryan (0-1) for John Reynolds, Niall McNamee for Ross Connor.

Laois: Michael Nolan; Paul McDonald, Cathal Ryan, Paul Begley; Joe Higgins, Derek Conroy, Padraig McMahon; Padraig Clancy (0-1), Noel Garvan; Colm Parkinson, Ross Munnelly (0-5, 0-4 frees), Gary Kavanagh; Brian McDonald (0-2), Colm Kelly (0-1), Chris Conway (0-1).
Subs: Paul Lawlor for Colm Parkinson, Shane Cooke for Gary Kavanagh.

Referee: P. O’Reilly (Longford)

BOG OAK
Junior B

Post by BOG OAK »

Excellent account of the game from Lone Shark
I will agree that it is only the O'Byrne cup, and the pace and challenge of 50/50 balls were certainly not at Championship level. However this result will help confidence with the players and just as important with the supporters. After last year we needed to start the year on a good note and this will surely get our supporters out for the start of the League campaign.
I thought the result was also significant because we kept playing with our new players which should continue the next day.

Any day we beat Laois is a good day no matter what level or game. :wink: [/b]

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Ok it was only the O'Byrne cup semi final, but its nice to beat our next door neighbours whether its football, hurling or snakes and ladders. It can only do the lads the world of good to get competitive games under their belts before a very tough and rigorous League campaign begins on Feb 5th. Great credit must be given to the players for their superb workrate and fitness levels for this time of year and it can only inspire confidence to beat Laois in their own back yard, especially for the younger players like Ross Connor and Sean Ryan with the latter doing himself no harm at all with a well taken point when he came on for John Reynolds in the second half. Speaking of John Reynolds it's great to see him in good form again for the county, he covered acres of ground yesterday and topped it off by putting over a couple of very nice points before he was replaced due to [we think was a slight knock of some sort]
My other highlights of the game was Shane Sullivan's superb display in the second half after an iffy first 35 minutes, Alan McNamee's magnificent point from play about 35 yards out, Scott Brady again being very solid and assured and Ciaran McManus heading back to something like his best form which of course is a sight for sore eyes for all true Offaly Gaels.
Just on a slightly different course, would'nt it be great if the Offaly and Antrim county boards could get together and organise the Walsh cup game for next Sunday as the curtain raiser to the O'Byrne cup final in Navan. As well as it being a far shorter journey for the Glensmen it would give us diehards who travel the 32 counties to watch both codes a great opportunity to see our hurlers in their first competitive game of the year.

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

Anybody else read Micko's begrudging post match comments in the Times ?

He basically said that Laois were glad to be out of the competition because he hates it. He also said that any team that wins the OByrne Cup goes nowhere that year. Finally he said that it gives them an extra Sunday off to prepare for the first league game. :shock:

This from a man who put out practically his best available team for every game ? Is this mind games or sour grapes ?

The Biff
All Star

Nee-yaaaavan

Post by The Biff »

According to the Fixtures on HoganStand.com, there is already a curtain-raiser on the Navan schedule next Sunday - at 12:00 Meath v Athlone IT in the Kehoe Cup Hurling. So I doubt if the Meath County Board will consider moving out their own hurlers in order to fit in the Offaly version.

It does seem unfortunate to have our Hurlers playing in Birr at 2:00 and then the Footballers in Navan at 2:15. How about some other compromise venue closer to Navan for the Antrim game? Somewhere like Trim, Senchalstown, Rathoath or some of those other renovated grounds. Would Birr really lose out on much by giving up a Walsh Cup game? If it was played near Navan at around midday and then the crowd had time to get to the Football, wouldn't it show some sense prevailing? Surely it's not too late to at least consider the possibilities.

Edit:

1. (Aaah! Fixture Congestion! Reminds me of the good old days in the early 80's)

2. Of course Micko is just an oul whinger. I dont think he has ever forgiven us for ...... you know what :lol:

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

black and red exile wrote:Ok it was only the O'Byrne cup semi final, but its nice to beat our next door neighbours whether its football, hurling or snakes and ladders.
Spoken like a true Gracefield diehard - your family would be proud. :D

As was mentioned, if the Kehoe cup match wasn't on, we'd have a good case for putting the hurlers there, but as it is, it looks like it'll be making a choice. Not sure where I'll be, seeing as it's my last full day in the country, but I could end up in Birr due to expediency - I promise I'll do my best to do up a report on whichever game I get to!

What I don't get is why the Laois team fielded was so close to full strength if Micko doesn't rate this competition? Why not put out an U-21 team, or a training team, and take the chance last December when they had it to make an early exit? I don't get it to be honest. Garvan and Clancy have played every game I can remember over the last couple of years as the Laois midfield pairing, why not try out some alternatives? You know what experienced lads like Beano and Conway can do, why was Shane Cooke or Donie Brennan not getting more intercounty experience?

I'm not trying to read too much into a January game ourselves, but in truth Micko's comments seem like an excuse for a poor performance, and a day when his "48 handpasses before kicking the ball" tactic imploded.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

are you emigrating for foreign pastures LS?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Sadly, yes.

I've done my best to force my way into the worlds of journalism and teaching, but at the end of the day the world of gambling is the only one that truly wants me. I'm heading over to London to take on a new job with a Swedish internet firm, starting next week, so the onus will be on all of you to keep me fully informed as to what's going on back home!!

I'll be there for six months at least, and by then the good lady will be back from travelling the globe, so options will have to be surveyed again. Hopefully I should make it home for a good few of the games though - I've already booked flights back for the two Saturday night games against Kerry and Dublin, and the weekend in between with two home matches in both codes is looking appealing as well, so hopefully we can manage that too.

And obviously championship is championship ..... :D

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Amazing in these days of the Celtic Tiger economy that our best and brightest are forced to emigrate to find sustinence and employment.

anyways,Go n-éirí an bóthar leat.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Best of luck in Sweden Loan Shark!

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Best of luck in Sweden Loan Shark!
Aye good luck to you.
And mind to steer clear of them Goran Ericson's.
They're a bit of a shower. Have the shirt off yer back.

I guess Croydon is probably a bit too far from Wimbledon, but I used to kick a bit with a crowd called St Michaels when I was over there. Don't know if they still exist.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Yeah this old site won't be the same with you gone across the pond LS. Its a bit like a ship losing its captain. Who is going to put manners on the few of us who get just a little bit over excited over certain issues concerning our county and club teams in 2006?
On a serious tone, the very best of luck in the bright lights of London and looking forward to getting you a ticket for the senior hurlers and footballers 2 Leinster finals in July as well as meeting up in September for the Gracefield v Ferbane county final. [ up the Black and Reds]