Allianz-Hurling-league 1B

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: Allianz-Hurling-league 1B

Post by jimbob17 »

also agree that Kilmartin should be given a shot with the panel. Good athlete, decent hurler even if a bit raw. With a good bit of work he'd definitely have something to offer the county panel as he has done very well at club level lately...
jimbob

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

Have to agree that kilmartin should get a run with the county. He has an energy and workrate that few on the current panel could match and the man can hurl as well. I hope there's a big performance in us this weekend.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Point to be made following deletion of earlier post:

Can the moderator not just remove the issue at source and disable the poster (and any further alias he/she uses) altogether?

The name also brings a good club into disrepute.

Agree 100% re Kilmartin. He was huge in the semi final.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Only came across this article now. Some thought provocation on refereeing, rules and related stuff.
http://blueblood.ie/index.php/hurling-i ... e-we-want/
Bord na Mona man wrote:That's the problem now. A ref who goes about enforcing the rules as they are written is going to baffle everyone.

Why don't we just enforce the existing ones as they stand, or else rewrite them to fit with how the game has evolved?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Limerick team for sunday:

Nicky Quaid, (Effin),
Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh),
Richie McCarthy (Blackrock),
Stephen Walsh (Glenroe),
Paudie O'Brien (Kilmallock)(Captain),
Wayne McNamara (Adare),
Gavin O'Mahoney (Kilmallock),
Paul Browne (Bruff),
James Ryan (Garryspillane),
Declan Hannon (Adare),
Seamus Hickey (Murroe/Boher),
David Breen (Na Piarsaigh),
Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh),
Niall Moran (Ahane)
Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock).

That is one big, tall and strong forward line. Hannon, Breen, Downes and Moran all big men. Mulcahy is a speed merchent.

The Weather looks bad untill Saturday afternoon and the rain should stop. Its going to be cold and windly Sunday afternoon.
Will O'Connor Park be fit to play on Sunday?

No word on the Offaly team yet?

The only good thing for both team is at least we won't have to look at John Sexton this week.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Nothing like having an Effin' goalkeeper.

Interesting to see if OCP is playable, right enough. Be assured, Birr wouldn't, and we'd be heading to Tullamore in any event.

Offaly team isn't going to change remarkably in 6 days.

No John Sexton, but Alan Kelly is the goon who thought Shane Dooley almost getting his ear removed from his head against Dublin was great craic altogether. Shur let the game flow, as the Munster crowd and Brian Cody say.
Toxicity234 wrote:That is one big, tall and strong forward line. Hannon, Breen, Downes and Moran all big men. Mulcahy is a speed merchent.

The Weather looks bad untill Saturday afternoon and the rain should stop. Its going to be cold and windly Sunday afternoon.
Will O'Connor Park be fit to play on Sunday?

No word on the Offaly team yet?

The only good thing for both team is at least we won't have to look at John Sexton this week.

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

Another cut about St Brendans park POTH. All offalys home games are in tullamore now I think most people have accepted that's the way its going to be from now on.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Nothing like having an Effin' goalkeeper.

Interesting to see if OCP is playable, right enough. Be assured, Birr wouldn't, and we'd be heading to Tullamore in any event.
Looking at the condition at the moment will any pitch in the country be fit to play by sunday.
There expecting another 24 hour of rain and wind.
There could be a lot of pitches under pressure this weekend.
there is all ready talk about Wexford vs Dublin for the lads around work.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

No cut at all, KK. My point was that even if the match was fixed for SBP, it would still be moved to OCP given the current weather, so any bitching to the effect that there would have been a mahoosive crowd in SBP would be redundant.
King Kev wrote:Another cut about St Brendans park POTH. All offalys home games are in tullamore now I think most people have accepted that's the way its going to be from now on.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:No cut at all, KK. My point was that even if the match was fixed for SBP, it would still be moved to OCP given the current weather, so any bitching to the effect that there would have been a mahoosive crowd in SBP would be redundant.
King Kev wrote:Another cut about St Brendans park POTH. All offalys home games are in tullamore now I think most people have accepted that's the way its going to be from now on.
Talking of which, did anyone hear Daithi Regan on Newstalk the other week back on his high horse about Birr/Tullamore for the Wexford game. He wasn't at the game, decided not to check his sources accuracy and said that there was 200 people at the game against Wexford. He then said if it was in Birr, there would have been 1,500. Turns out there was around a 1000 in Tullamore that day, it was freezing and the footballers were playing too, which would take some of the regulars away.

His argument seems to be that there is some sinister reason for playing the games in Tullamore and that the authorities don't want to say what it is, which he implies that it is due to having to pay back the debt on the cost of the stadium. Of course, the debt has to be paid back and of course actually using the grounds is going to help to pay back that debt. Also, having one of the nicest stadiums in the country is our prized asset at the moment, so let's use the bloody thing. From a playing point of view, I know that I'd much rather be in Tullamore dressing rooms where 30 players, 10 backroom staff, etc. can all easily fit into a nice modern dressing room, rather than splitting the team across 2 rooms in Birr. From a fans point of view, in terms of facilities, it is also the only logical choice.

This thing of South Offaly people wont go to Tullamore that he spouts is rubbish. The same core of supporters are travelling that always did, no matter what part of the county they are in. If we see some success on the field then the rest will follow whereever the team is playing (remember that we are talking about 2 or 3 league games a year max here).

Also, if I am wrong and there are loads of people not making the home games out of principle, then why don't we see 1000s at our away games to show their support?

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

llkj wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:No cut at all, KK. My point was that even if the match was fixed for SBP, it would still be moved to OCP given the current weather, so any bitching to the effect that there would have been a mahoosive crowd in SBP would be redundant.
Talking of which, did anyone hear Daithi Regan on Newstalk the other week back on his high horse about Birr/Tullamore for the Wexford game. He wasn't at the game, decided not to check his sources accuracy and said that there was 200 people at the game against Wexford. He then said if it was in Birr, there would have been 1,500. Turns out there was around a 1000 in Tullamore that day, it was freezing and the footballers were playing too, which would take some of the regulars away.

His argument seems to be that there is some sinister reason for playing the games in Tullamore and that the authorities don't want to say what it is, which he implies that it is due to having to pay back the debt on the cost of the stadium. Of course, the debt has to be paid back and of course actually using the grounds is going to help to pay back that debt. Also, having one of the nicest stadiums in the country is our prized asset at the moment, so let's use the bloody thing. From a playing point of view, I know that I'd much rather be in Tullamore dressing rooms where 30 players, 10 backroom staff, etc. can all easily fit into a nice modern dressing room, rather than splitting the team across 2 rooms in Birr. From a fans point of view, in terms of facilities, it is also the only logical choice.

This thing of South Offaly people wont go to Tullamore that he spouts is rubbish. The same core of supporters are travelling that always did, no matter what part of the county they are in. If we see some success on the field then the rest will follow whereever the team is playing (remember that we are talking about 2 or 3 league games a year max here).

Also, if I am wrong and there are loads of people not making the home games out of principle, then why don't we see 1000s at our away games to show their support?
You have some good points there, but St. Brendans park is being under used. The best example of this was last years intermediate final when the county board brought Rynaghs and Lusmagh over to Tullamore, when the most logical venue was Birr.
No one could argue with the facilities in ocp, but in terms of atmosphere at a game, Birr wins hands down as it takes less people to fill it. This should not be underestimated as home advantage is important in tight games, where for example the ref becomes influenced by the crowd (as wadding was in thurles recently). We need every little advantage we can get these days
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I agree that there is no harm in throwing Birr a few bones in the course of the year. Not actually trying to get into the debate about Tullamore/Birr, North/South, ''Hurling people from the South of the county'' shite that DAithi goes on about... as I think that such talk is absolutely rusbbish. The only way that we stand any chance of success is to be a unified county... despite what agenda the likes of him try to push!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

same 15 as last day Parlon now midfield, The two Slevins and Conor Mahon in squad
it's becoming a joke now, Clancy,Colm Coughlan, and Keiller, dropped from squad.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

townman wrote:same 15 as last day Parlon now midfield, The two Slevins and Conor Mahon in squad
it's becoming a joke now, Clancy,Colm Coughlan, and Keiller, dropped from squad.
how is Mulrooney still at full forward?
Its a bit unfair to for the K/K lads to be back in squad so early(but we could do with them) but happy to see Slevin in squad.
Unhappy that is kilmartin isn't there.
have Parlon and Carroll ever hurler in midfield for Coolderry? I don't think so.
Happy with the half forward line. If were going to win it going to be tough.

Faithful 85
Junior C

Post by Faithful 85 »

Sad to hear of guys having to move away for work and i believe its worse when guys only go to England,if they go to Oz well then maybe they want to see abit of the world and experience it to say they were there but is there nothing than can be done to keep guys at home in regards to work?? Conor Hernon and Eoin Kelly only gone to St Gabriels in London so thats a pity...both massive losses to their clubs,especially Kelly whos transfer would seriously lessen Lusmagh chances of getting to a q/f....As for the game tomorrow a win would brighten things up abit,Carlow is never an easy spot to get a win so a win 2moro and we`re well on our way to the league final